Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 19:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T2i/40D Decisions

sailaway78
215 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 17, 2013 19:03 |  #1

I am ready to move up from my T3, which I realize is the bottom the Canon line. Within my budget I can manage a T21 or a 40D. I like the 18mp of the T2i, but really want a faster burst speed since I shoot a lot of birds in flight, or try to. I would be willing to trade off the burst speed for more mp, but am concerned with the auto focus. Which is my primary problem with the T3. The auto focus on it is just way to slow. So, what think you all. Is there a major difference, or any difference in the auto focus between the 40D and T2i. When it comes down to it, this will be my deciding factor.

sponsored links
Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 19, 2013 18:03 |  #2

The 'speed' of AF depends more on the lens. What lens(es) are you now using on the T3?

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

I ­ weston ­ I
334 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 19, 2013 18:40 |  #3

sailaway78 wrote in post #15502300 (external link)
I am ready to move up from my T3, which I realize is the bottom the Canon line. Within my budget I can manage a T21 or a 40D. I like the 18mp of the T2i, but really want a faster burst speed since I shoot a lot of birds in flight, or try to. I would be willing to trade off the burst speed for more mp, but am concerned with the auto focus. Which is my primary problem with the T3. The auto focus on it is just way to slow. So, what think you all. Is there a major difference, or any difference in the auto focus between the 40D and T2i. When it comes down to it, this will be my deciding factor.

The autofocus for the T2i will be the same as the T3. If you intend to get faster focusing, the 40D will do that. The sensors are much better than the rebel line.

If you want the fastest possible focusing, pair a USM lens with the 40D and it will be very fast and accurate.

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

ctwatkins
529 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 19, 2013 19:59 as a reply to  @ I weston I's post |  #4

Just finished dealing with basically the same gear decision for my backup. I had a t2i that was funtioning as a back up to my 5D3, but after using 1D and 5D series bodies for the past year or so, the Rebel didn't get used as I didn't like its feel.

So, I sold the t2i and bought a like new gripped 40D. It ended up being a break even deal cash-wise. The feel of the 40D in hand will make it much more likely to pull it out and shoot with it occasionally.

I think 40D's are a steal at their current selling price -very undervalued for a terrific body.

Gear: 5D MKIII * 6D * 35L (1.4) * 135L (2.0) * 24 - 70L (2.8II) * 70 - 200L (2.8ISII) * 200L (2.0IS) * 580 EX * Induro CT213 * PCB AB B800 (X3) * Pocketwizard Plus

Madwrench
633 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 19, 2013 21:57 |  #5

I weston I wrote in post #15509681 (external link)
The autofocus for the T2i will be the same as the T3. If you intend to get faster focusing, the 40D will do that. The sensors are much better than the rebel line.

If you want the fastest possible focusing, pair a USM lens with the 40D and it will be very fast and accurate.

That's just plain incorrect in this case. In fact, the T2i, 60D and 7D all use the same sensor.

I ­ weston ­ I
334 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 20, 2013 09:22 |  #6

Madwrench wrote in post #15510168 (external link)
That's just plain incorrect in this case. In fact, the T2i, 60D and 7D all use the same sensor.

AF Sensors are better on the 40D...not the image sensor. Sorry for the lack of clarity!

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 20, 2013 09:28 |  #7

If you need better AF go for an XXD series but the t2i will have high resolution and slightly better image quality at high ISO.

I use a 40D regularly and the af is very solid. Not 7d level but reliable if your not doing anything to crazy.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 20, 2013 15:20 |  #8

sailaway78 wrote in post #15502300 (external link)

The T2i will have better ISO performance, image resolution, HD video, etc. A 40D will have better AF, FPS rate and buffer - look for a low shutter count !

sponsored links

1,677 views & 0 likes for this thread
T2i/40D Decisions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.