Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 17:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Markins ballhead questions

Hendo
33 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 20, 2013 17:46 |  #1

Greetings everyone.

I'm on the cusp of purchasing a Markins ball head, and I have a couple of questions.

I've never used a ball head, so forgive some basic questions.

First, about the Markins clamp. Some of you have replaced the Markins clamp with a RRS clamp, but I'm not clear on why. What is the design shortcoming that pushes people to this extra step?

Next, looking at the website pictures, it appears that the RRS ballheads have a key-like protrusion on the ball stem that fits into slots on the underside of the clamp. The Markins does not appear to have those protrusions. So those of you that fit RRS clamps, do you modify the ball, or just screw it on and trust the clamping force from the screw to keep it in place?

Markins:
http://www.markinsamer​ica.com/MA5/Q10.php?re​q=Q10NK (external link)

RRS:
http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …amp%3a-Mid-sized-ballhead (external link)

Last, which head would y'all recommend for a 7D with at most 70-200 f2.8.

I'm headed towards a Q20 but thought I'd ask.

Tripod is Manfrotto 055.

Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 20, 2013 17:54 |  #2

Never had an issue with Markin clamps

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 20, 2013 18:16 |  #3

Hi Hendo,

Here are my thoughts:

1) There is nothing wrong with a Markins clamp, but I have to tell you, the RRS lever clamp is the cat's meow. Most of us upgrade because the RRS clamp is really, really nice. If money is a concern, then the Markins clamp will serve you quite well. By the way, I'm a huge Markins fan, and think their ballheads are an excellent choice!

2) No need to worry about the "key like" structure on the RRS. If you get a Markins, just use blue Loc-Tite when installing hte clamp and you'll be good...it will never accidentally come off.

3) The Markins M-10 will suit your needs just fine. If you feel the need to future-proof for heavier lenses or longer focal lengths, then you may want to step up to the M-20.

I hope this helps,
Bryan

My Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,422 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 20, 2013 18:27 |  #4

Markins used to only have a screw clamp; there was no lever clamp from Markins. So folks used to fit RRS lever clamp in place of a Markins screw clamp. Then Markins introduced a lever clamp which could accomodate several different manufacturer's plates...but not quickly and easily adjusted to fit different dimension plates; the RRS is fixed in its clampling dimension, and will not deal well with all brands of plates.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 20, 2013 19:12 |  #5

Q20 is a bit overkill for those manfrotto legs.the legs only hold 15 lbs, so a q10 would probably be more than sufficient.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

peter_n
Goldmember
2,424 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 20, 2013 20:57 |  #6

Best to look to the long term when buying a ballhead. If you don't plan on using longer focal lengths than 200mm in the future the Markins Q10 will be perfect for your current camera rig and tripod. If you see yourself ultimately getting longer focal lengths it might be wise to get the Q20 sooner rather than later.

WRT the clamps I've been using Markins screw clamps for many years and I've never had a problem; I like them a lot. Having said that I just bought a RRS lever clamp to try out on a new ballhead that's arriving tomorrow.

Markins use red Loctite on the 3/8"-16 stud that connects the clamp to the ball. Usually the stud needs to be heated for the red Loctite seal to be broken. On the plus side Markins do sell their ballheads without a clamp so if you decide you want a RRS clamp just buy the ballhead with a stud and get the clamp separately. Then use blue Loctite to seal the stud into the clamp, let it set, then screw the assembly onto the ball.

~Peter

Hendo
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 21, 2013 00:35 |  #7

Great info and very helpful everyone -- thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

afoton
348 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 21, 2013 00:58 |  #8

I have, and use regulary, screw clamp from Markins, screw clamp from RRS and lever release clamp from RRS. Of those, I prefer the screw clamp from Markins. But that is just a matter of taste.

(But I prefer the ball heads from RRS, because they work better in the cold)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,404 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 21, 2013 01:31 as a reply to  @ afoton's post |  #9

I use the Q-20 w/ lever clamp, on 055 legs, for my 7D with both the 100-400 and 70-200 mkII, as well as the 24-105 and 10-22 for landscapes. I couldn't be happier with it; it balances well and is easy to adjust tension on and will EASILY support the weight of that rig, even at really "off" angles.

I say go for it :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,694 posts
Gallery: 591 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 09, 2013 10:38 |  #10

For those that use lever clamps is there ever a worry of accidently flipping the lever open when moving the tripod with camera attached etc? I have always used the twist lock type arca-swiss style but Im now in the market for a new tripod head and considering the Q10 or the Q20 and cant decide between lever lock clamp or not. I dont mind the twist locks (in fact its all im used to) but the lever clamp worries me slightly.

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
CV15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | CV40 | Batis 85 | Tamron 28-75

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 09, 2013 10:56 |  #11

The M10 is an excellent choice and with a standard screw-tighten clamp is perfectly fine. I have fitted an RRS lever clamp on mine but Markins camera plates don't play nicely with the RRS lever quick release clamp (they slide straight through without stopping!). So if you choose a QR lever clamp, stick with that manufacturer for the camera and lens plates.

If you choose a screw clamp, the tolerances are bigger, so theres no problem.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,694 posts
Gallery: 591 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 09, 2013 11:39 |  #12

Thanks, i never considered the qr plates, i might be best sticking to the screw clamp then since i have off brand qr plates. Just need to make my mind up between q10 and q20 now.

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
CV15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | CV40 | Batis 85 | Tamron 28-75

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 09, 2013 13:15 as a reply to  @ xpfloyd's post |  #13

FYI rrs full sized clamps now are supposed to fit more plates now. Says "self adjusting" on the website. I just bought one for my q3t but I can't confirm fit because I only use rrs plates.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,404 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 09, 2013 13:32 |  #14

xpfloyd wrote in post #15590990 (external link)
Thanks, i never considered the qr plates, i might be best sticking to the screw clamp then since i have off brand qr plates. Just need to make my mind up between q10 and q20 now.

The Markins lever clamp works fine with non-Markins plates; it's got a simple adjustment mechanism. As long as all the plates you're using are from a single manufacturer, it's fine.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

peter_n
Goldmember
2,424 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 10, 2013 08:52 |  #15

Xyclopx wrote in post #15591332 (external link)
FYI rrs full sized clamps now are supposed to fit more plates now. Says "self adjusting" on the website. I just bought one for my q3t but I can't confirm fit because I only use rrs plates.

I've had this so-called self adjusting clamp for a couple of weeks now. I've tested camera plates from Benro, Clearsight, ProMediaGear, SunwayFoto, RRS & Wimberley with it and so far there is a secure connection with them all.

~Peter

sponsored links

3,833 views & 0 likes for this thread
Markins ballhead questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.