Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 20:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 1.4x II wiggles

robonrome
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 13, 2013 20:36 |  #1

Hi - I bought a second hand canon 1.4x II extender while travelling in Thailand (still here). Seems to work fine on my 70-200 2.8 II, but it has a bit of play between the camera body connection and the body of the extender. Not much (maybe 0.25 mm) but enough to notice and be annoying. A number of phillips head screws on that side of the extender - anyone play with these or know a way to tighten things up a bit ... not interested in taking it to a service centre as none are convenient.

thanks

rob - check my galleries at http://hardlightimages​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
Zenfolio coupon discount when signing up - 93R-NCK-DUT

sponsored links
robonrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 13, 2013 20:40 |  #2

whoops just realised I posted this to camera not lens section. I will leave to moderators whether it should be moved.

rob - check my galleries at http://hardlightimages​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

robonrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 16, 2013 00:15 |  #3

no-one?

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 16, 2013 00:55 |  #4

Are you talking about the white "exterior" wiggling? If so, mine has a little play as well. It has been at Canon for check/clean and must have been OK. The mount is solid though, only the covering has some play.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 16, 2013 01:30 |  #5

If the screws on the back end of the extender are loose causing slight back to front wobble, just tighten them with a jewellers screwdriver that fits.
If you're talking about slight rotational play, that's normal.
It's due to slight differences in the tolerances of the size of the locking hole on the extender's mount and the locking pin on the camera.
You'll probably find that all your lenses have some minor rotational play when mounted to the camera.
Some might have slightly more than others, but it's no big deal.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 16, 2013 03:46 |  #6

philwillmedia wrote in post #15494783 (external link)
If you're talking about slight rotational play, that's normal.
It's due to slight differences in the tolerances of the size of the locking hole on the extender's mount and the locking pin on the camera.
You'll probably find that all your lenses have some minor rotational play when mounted to the camera.
Some might have slightly more than others, but it's no big deal.

^ ^ This. Both my extenders exhibit slight axial play. As do all my lens mounts, to a greater or lesser extent. Manufacturing tolerance is built-in.

~ Wallace
Gear List

robonrome
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 20, 2013 21:42 |  #7

thanks for the replies, sorry been out of internet range for a few days. What I'm seeing is different (I think) to normal axial play. This appears to be a play between the white outer casing and the mount/lens interior as Steve mentions. I'll see if I can tweak it up a bit with jeweller screwdriver as Phil suggest, but not sure those screws will have any effect on the outer casing tightness. ANyway I think it's really only cosmetic ...image quality I feel is fine.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 21, 2013 11:45 |  #8

Usually if the screws in the bayonet mount loosen you'll have trouble putting the lens on your camera. I just had to tighten them on my 70-200 (it pays to have a jeweler's screwdriver in your camera bag!) and it was obvious one or two of them had loosesned because the lens didn't want to rotate and latch onto the camera.

There's almost no play in my 1.4X II... just a tiny wink of play axially in the bayonet mount when it's latched onto some lenses or cameras. It's a tiny bit on each side, hardly enough to feel... seems normal to me.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to check the bayonet mount screws, four on each side. The only other screws you can access easily are the two holding the trim piece around the release lever and those shouldn't be prone to loosening (plus they are painted, so I'd be reluctant to apply a screwdriver to them unless I could see one had loosened).

If those screws loosen on you a lot, might want remove them one at a time and put a tiny dab of blue LocTite on them. That's the lightly holding LocTite. Don't use the stronger holding red stuff or anyone servicing the lens in the future will really curse you!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

1,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1.4x II wiggles
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.