Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 19 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 19:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Press the shutter and take a photo for $100?

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 19, 2013 19:08 |  #1

I have not had or used a P&S for years. I used an SLR back in the 70s and then had a 35mm P&S I liked and then went to a digital P&S. I had several and they all suffered from what I call shutter lag. You press the shutter and there is a very noticeable delay before the photo is taken. I lost a lot of shots and this is one of the major reasons I went to a Rebel XT and then a 40D. (Now waiting on the 7D Mk2.)

My wife is going to DC and NY for a week and I asked if she wanted to take the 40D. "No, no and no for many reasons, I'll use my phone". (Samsung Galaxy S 3).

I started looking on Amazon for P&S cameras for about $100.00 and in the reviews there are complaints about shutter lag and then the time delay between photos.

It seems that pressing the shutter and taking a photo is a basic function of a camera and I am amazed the various manufacturers haven't figured it out yet. Are these folks nuts or is this still an issue with P&S cameras?

Is there a point where Canon P&S, or any brand, does not have a delay between when the shutter button is pressed and the photo is taken? I think my wife would tolerate some delay between taking photos. Should I tell her to just use her phone?

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Tom

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 19, 2013 19:14 |  #2

The issue is that, unlike your 40D, P&S cameras use the same sensor for AF and for image capture. This means that they have to rely on "contrast detection" autofocus, while the separate AF sensor on your 40D uses "phase detect" AF. And contrast detection is inherently slower than phase detection, never mind that the sensor has to shift between the two modes.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Autofocus (external link)

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Tom_D
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 19, 2013 22:04 |  #3

Thanks Jon. I never knew that was why P&S cameras had this problem. Seems like someone would have come up with a better focusing system by now to solve this problem.

Gallery (external link)
More Wag, Less Bark

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jan 19, 2013 22:17 |  #4

There have been some improvements, but this is the same problem with all P&S cameras, all of the mirrorless cameras and with DSLRs when they use Live View or are in video mode. And it gets worse as the sensors get larger because of the narrower depth of field.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

fStoppingTime
25 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 19, 2013 23:58 |  #5

Is a P&S really slower than the S3? I would expect that any quality camera would be much better than the cell phone, if for no reason other than a larger lens.

I have the Canon SX150 and it's been great for me. Any lag there is is something I haven't really paid attention to. Unless your wife is traveling for a sporting event, or other fact action photo shoot, won't a P&S lag in shutter be adequate for site seeing?
I haven't used my P&S but once since I got my DSLR about a month ago but I don't believe my P&S was that slow.

In terms of speed too, if you purchase a P&S you might want to be sure to also get a good memory card with faster write speeds just to ensure there is no additional lag in writing data after the shot is captured.

Just the basics:
T3i
18-55 Kit
55-250 kit
Tamron 18-270

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 20, 2013 06:06 |  #6

Tom_D wrote in post #15510189 (external link)
Seems like someone would have come up with a better focusing system by now to solve this problem.

there are solutions. just not at $100 and just not with canon. spend 4-10 times more and you can get cameras that will focus faster than your DSLR. some newer cameras are using both phase detection and contrast detection to help with focusing.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

stevenkelby
52 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 20, 2013 06:39 |  #7

imjason wrote in post #15510966 (external link)
you can get cameras that will focus faster than your DSLR. some newer cameras are using both phase detection and contrast detection to help with focusing.

I would love to know what model(s). I have a Canon G11 and G12 and my only major complaint is the shutter lag which causes many missed shots for action/sports/people etc.

Even with manual focus and exposure, from half press, when I give it a full press there is noticeable lag, maybe .3 of a second or so. Fine for static shots but for anything moving or alive, I hate it.

I have had 35mm SLRs years ago (up to a Canon EOS 1N) and there was zero detectable lag. I don't want another SLR, I need something that will fit in a large jacket pocket so I actually carry it around sometimes, an SLR is fun for a while, but soon turns into a pain in the butt!

I go to the store and try out most new compact when they out (Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony compacts) but haven't found one that is noticeably better than my current Canons so don't buy.

What models should I be looking at?

Thanks,

Steve.

G11 and G12 plus many accessories.
My guide to CHDK

Rich ­ Road
184 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 20, 2013 14:54 |  #8

Tom_D wrote in post #15509760 (external link)
Is there a point where Canon P&S, or any brand, does not have a delay between when the shutter button is pressed and the photo is taken? Tom

the Sony RX100 but you'd have to up your budget sixfold

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 20, 2013 15:06 |  #9

Tom_D wrote in post #15509760 (external link)
I have not had or used a P&S for years. I used an SLR back in the 70s and then had a 35mm P&S I liked and then went to a digital P&S. I had several and they all suffered from what I call shutter lag. You press the shutter and there is a very noticeable delay before the photo is taken. I lost a lot of shots and this is one of the major reasons I went to a Rebel XT and then a 40D. (Now waiting on the 7D Mk2.)

My wife is going to DC and NY for a week and I asked if she wanted to take the 40D. "No, no and no for many reasons, I'll use my phone". (Samsung Galaxy S 3).

I started looking on Amazon for P&S cameras for about $100.00 and in the reviews there are complaints about shutter lag and then the time delay between photos.

It seems that pressing the shutter and taking a photo is a basic function of a camera and I am amazed the various manufacturers haven't figured it out yet. Are these folks nuts or is this still an issue with P&S cameras?

Is there a point where Canon P&S, or any brand, does not have a delay between when the shutter button is pressed and the photo is taken? I think my wife would tolerate some delay between taking photos. Should I tell her to just use her phone?

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Tom

Well, I have the S3 and the camera is rather good, with no perceptible delay. AF is activated every time you point it at something new and there is SO much depth of field that you can't really mess up. I can understand why she'd want to just take that. I don't even use my own P&S cameras anymore because carrying them in addition to the S3 is just silly.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 20, 2013 22:29 |  #10

your 40D has a shutter lag of 0.15 sec. below is a link of some P&S camera shutter lags, some are as fast as your dslr some not

http://www.cameras.co.​uk …utter-lag-comparisons.cfm (external link)

Hans

Hans
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr: (external link)

Tom_D
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 20, 2013 23:41 |  #11

So I just ordered the Canon PowerShot A2300 from Amazon.com for $72.00 plus tax.

I gave up on the whole shutter lag issue and focused on price and size. My wife won't use this thing if it is too big/heavy for her to take around and I don't want her to worry about loosing or dropping it.

We will spend some time with the camera before she leaves and like I told her before I placed the order, "Lincoln ain't going to move".

When we are chasing the grandkids around I'll use the DSLR.

Thanks for all the replies and links. I can always count on POTN for an education.

Tom

Gallery (external link)
More Wag, Less Bark

stevenkelby
52 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 20, 2013 23:47 |  #12

It's a pity that table is so sparse. I looked but can't find a more comprehensive one anywhere.

G11 and G12 plus many accessories.
My guide to CHDK

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 21, 2013 00:41 |  #13

Tom_D wrote in post #15514228 (external link)
So I just ordered the Canon PowerShot A2300 from Amazon.com for $72.00 plus tax.

I gave up on the whole shutter lag issue and focused on price and size. My wife won't use this thing if it is too big/heavy for her to take around and I don't want her to worry about loosing or dropping it.

We will spend some time with the camera before she leaves and like I told her before I placed the order, "Lincoln ain't going to move".

When we are chasing the grandkids around I'll use the DSLR.

Thanks for all the replies and links. I can always count on POTN for an education.

Tom

Just prefocus and anticipate the shot. You will just have to spend more money with another camera company if you want faster AF and less shutter lag. Shutter lag is a common complaint of Canon powershot cameras whether its a lower end A series or a high end G series. All are slow to af and not the most responsive.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 21, 2013 02:58 |  #14

I don't really understand the whole shutter lag thing. I wish these cameras had "release priority" where they would release the shutter on full press regardless of focus. That would solve most problems.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 21, 2013 07:22 |  #15

stevenkelby wrote in post #15514241 (external link)
It's a pity that table is so sparse. I looked but can't find a more comprehensive one anywhere.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/PS1​00/PS100A6.HTM (external link)

Imaging Resource provides comprehensive timing information on cameras reviewed, see link above for the information on the S100

Hans

Hans
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr: (external link)

sponsored links

4,812 views & 0 likes for this thread
Press the shutter and take a photo for $100?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.