Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 01:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how useful do you find battery grips

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 20, 2013 22:40 |  #46

Stone 13 wrote in post #15514047 (external link)
Jon,

To each his own, that still doesn't explain how the guy I quoted can relate

a) a person who prefers the extra heft as well as the other benefits of adding a grip to their DSLR

to

b) some unknown, unquoted source touting the "superiority" of mirrorless cameras because they have less weight

I have big hands, I prefer a big DSLR, perhaps he has small hands more suitable for a powershot, I just don't know but I don't want to assume that he likes smaller cameras for some superficial reason. Unlike what he's done to the rest of us who don't share his point of view. Having said that, he's not really giving us much to go on. If you understood what he was trying to say, then please elaborate because I simply don't get it and looking back at this thread, I'm not the only one.....

It's quite simple-most people who buy grips are newbs with a desire to make their gear look like a 1d. If a grip makes ur camera more comfortable good luck to you, but when you move to a full frame a think you will find the size difference is considerable.

As for my example-again its quite simple. Technology moves and trends change. Many schools of though believe mirror less is the future, hence big bulky dslrs will be old school and things of the past. People already boast of mirror less for being so compact and light-so what are people such as yourself going to do when these cameras become the status quo?

And has already been stated-your left hand should be supporting the weight of the camera-sounds like you are doing it wrong.

sponsored links
Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 20, 2013 22:45 |  #47

blogs wrote in post #15514064 (external link)
I'm sure they are very useful for portrait shots, I just think their 'must have status' is way over baked. I am involved in many different pastimes and they all have 'must have' items...until something comes along and shows that they were never really needed.

they're useful for more than shooting in portrait orientation and that has been stated in every one of the literally hundreds of threads on this very same topic.

until something comes along and shows that they were never really needed.

a grip might not be needed, but it has established it's value to me hence my choice to include one on any DSLR I buy that doesn't have one already. :)

Hence my point with mirror less-what are people going to do when these become mainstream, bolt big heavy blocks of ballast on their camera to assist with balance and their huge man hands, all the while boasting how much more convenient the small and light body is? Lol

funny how grips are either already available or being developed for most of the major mirrorless bodies out there. But I guess since you've decided that no one needs them, they won't sell. You're gonna be wrong on that one, lol indeed. :)

Let's just put them along with card readers and just about every body building 'supplement' as pet hates of mine ;)

Well as a bodybuilder myself, I'd love to know your thoughts which supplements you consider worthless, not that I would disagree with you. I'd also love to know you 1 rep max on the barbell squat, if you mention your bench press I'm just not gonna take you seriously...lol

Okay too much cognac, time to wrap this up. You hate grips we get it but you've not given single logical reason why the rest of us should hate them too. :lol:

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 20, 2013 22:45 |  #48

Stone 13 wrote in post #15513597 (external link)
For the life of me, I just can't figure out how one relates to the other. Exactly what is your point

If you can't work it out by yourself try asking your parents?

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 20, 2013 22:49 |  #49

Stone 13 wrote in post #15514112 (external link)
Well as a bodybuilder myself, I'd love to know your thoughts which supplements you consider worthless, not that I would disagree with you. I'd also love to know you 1 rep max on the barbell squat, if you mention your bench press I'm just not gonna take you seriously...lol

Lol oh my...how about a 240kg dead for reps? 1rep max of 200kg squat and rep 160kg bench-have done 1rm as i have bad shoulders. Of course that could just be e stats...but anyways what's yours? Oh and you call yourself a body builder yet drink alcohol???

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 20, 2013 23:14 |  #50

blogs wrote in post #15514113 (external link)
If you can't work it out by yourself try asking your parents?

Come on now, you're a bigger man than that.

We'll just say you lost your head for a bit before you posted it and move on. :lol:

blogs wrote in post #15514123 (external link)
Lol oh my...how about a 240kg dead for reps? 1rep max of 200kg squat and rep 160kg bench-have done 1rm as i have bad shoulders. Of course that could just be e stats...but anyways what's yours?

Impressive stats indeed, I'm a yank so I have to use imperial but I'm 6'1 ~215 lbs my 1 RM numbers are: about 505 lbs deadlift, 455lbs squat (my favorite exercise), and about 325 bench which I don't do very often. I'd have to have a very good day to put up your kind of numbers but I'll get there eventually ;)

blogs wrote in post #15514123 (external link)
Oh and you call yourself a body builder yet drink alcohol???

I most certainly do, I'm early 40's now and my goal is to remain strong, not just fit well into retirement. My goal however is not to become a monk, so yes, I likes me drink. :lol:

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 21, 2013 00:57 |  #51

Stone 13 wrote in post #15514171 (external link)
Come on now, you're a bigger man than that.

We'll just say you lost your head for a bit before you posted it and move on. :lol:

Impressive stats indeed, I'm a yank so I have to use imperial but I'm 6'1 ~215 lbs my 1 RM numbers are: about 505 lbs deadlift, 455lbs squat (my favorite exercise), and about 325 bench which I don't do very often. I'd have to have a very good day to put up your kind of numbers but I'll get there eventually ;)

I most certainly do, I'm early 40's now and my goal is to remain strong, not just fit well into retirement. My goal however is not to become a monk, so yes, I likes me drink. :lol:

Nice stats!! Especially for an old fella ;) I'm not trying to lift any heavier (though the temptation is overwhelming) as my joints just get to sore :(

Yeah no hate mate, just having fun arguing-I probably come across as a douche a lot of the time as do others ;) as for the grip-I went to the local shop recently to try one for my 5diii and the assistant looked at me and asked why-I felt like an idiot explaining that 'the Internet reckon they are good' he laughed and made me feel like an idiot and said I don't need one. To be honest I absolutely agree-the ergonomics on the 5diii are perfect!! Besides the portrait orientation I just don't get it-I'm actually worried with a grip the body would be to big!

JDubya
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 21, 2013 10:25 |  #52

I have a gripped D60 and 30D and I love how they fit the hand--much more comfortable. Then I got a 5DII and have yet to grip it, I'm enjoying the smaller bag requirement. For a shoot, I'd rather have a grip but for just walking around and whatnot, I'm starting to prefer the smaller footprint of a gripless body.

Ken, what can you hang-clean? :lol"

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 21, 2013 11:53 |  #53

JDubya wrote in post #15515431 (external link)
Ken, what can you hang-clean? :lol"

I'm not very fond of that exercise, last time I tried it was a couple of years ago with ~215 lbs I think. If I remember correctly, it put me out of action for a week or two, I simply lacked the flexibility to do it with proper form although admittedly, I'm not very good at power cleans either.

I generally stick to bent over rows, not as effective, but not as demanding either so I do a ton of reps with moderate to heavy weight nowhere near my 1 rep max. Hang-cleans are a dam good exercise for you young bucks though. :lol:

Ken

triton3k
Goldmember
3,358 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 25, 2013 11:12 |  #54

I had a grip on all my cameras and since buying my 5D Mark III and purchasing a grip I find that it sits in my pelican unless i'm shooting portraits. Any other time I go gripless.

Denn_Ice
Yashica Mat 124G, Canon A1, Sony A7RII, Sony Fe 16-35 F/4, Sony Fe 28 F/2, Sony Fe 55 F/1.8 Canon FD 24 F/2.8, FD 50 F/1.8, FD 135 F/2.5, Canon FL 50 F/1.4
Check me out on flickr (external link) Tumblr (external link) Instagram (external link) 500PX (external link)

Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 25, 2013 14:54 |  #55

I really enjoy and appreciate my grip. Being satisfied with your purchase is all that matters. Try out a grip for yourself. If you don't like it, that's cool.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 25, 2013 15:40 |  #56

Very personal choice.

It depends how much you shoot in portrait orientation and how comfortable you want to be while shooting. If it's a lot, then you pretty much need a grip or you'll get carpal tunnel or some other overuse injury.

If you care more about size and weight, you don't need it.

I like one when my sole reason for being there is just to shoot - like photographing an event for the whole day. But I would never want to carry a body with a grip for casual photography. Too much bulk

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2013 15:50 as a reply to  @ Daphatty's post |  #57

I go back and forth with battery grips, right now the grip is in my bag and I don't miss it.

One thing is for certain, the camera is more stable on a tripod without a grip.

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

EmilyLipscomb
103 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 25, 2013 16:56 |  #58

I definitely like them because they are more comfortable for holding your camera.

Emily
5D2 gripped | 50 1.4 | 40 2.8 | 430exii
Dreaming of L glass someday... :)

EmilyLipscomb
103 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 25, 2013 16:57 |  #59

However...the extra weight can be a pain especially depending on the lens.

Emily
5D2 gripped | 50 1.4 | 40 2.8 | 430exii
Dreaming of L glass someday... :)

Ilovetheleafs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 29, 2013 21:57 |  #60

Finally got the battery grip. Loving it!

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

sponsored links

10,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
how useful do you find battery grips
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.