Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,899 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 21, 2013 13:46 |  #841

MJ23FE wrote in post #15515300 (external link)
What's up people?

I've been working with Dell and they gave me a discount on the camera. Although the discount puts the camera lower then other retailers, it's not by a huge margin, and given the sh!t I've been through, I also asked for them to include a coupon as well. They're having the distributor check the box before it ships, and hopefully if all goes well, it'll go out today and I'll have it tomorrow.

Knock on wood!!!

:cool::lol:

-Jalal

WHAT? I think that's a really bad decision. How can you possibly trust anything they send you at this point. It could be wood again, it could be a defective camera, it could have missing items, or it could be a camera STOLEN from someone else. My point is, after your two experiences with Dell, why would you even consider giving them a third chance, especially if its from the same distributor and shipper. It makes no sense to me even with the possibility of saving some money. If you get screwed a third time in even the smallest way, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

sponsored links
pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 21, 2013 13:49 |  #842

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15516124 (external link)
Quite frankly, I've seen nothing that would convince me that the OP isn't sitting in his house with two 5D3s, happily waiting for a third one.

But quite frankly - is there anything that would convince you? Except a link to jail sentences? So why post that you aren't convinced? No one can be convinced in either direction.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 21, 2013 13:55 |  #843

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15516124 (external link)
While possible, I have difficulty imagining a worker in a shipping facility showing up to work day after day with perfectly pre-cut pieces of laminate flooring hoping that a 5D3 will show up, then manages to pull it off twice within a very short time without being noticed (once on an overnight delivery, where there's little time to spare!)

I think you're missing the real option. A worker, probably someone working overnight at the 3rd party warehouse/shipper, sees a pile of 5D3s sitting on shelves waiting for orders to come in and realizes that some of them probably won't go out for a while. He has time to swap the contents, dispose of what he's replaced and can then find another job (or alibi) before anyone is any the wiser.

The flooring was probably just what was conveniently available in a nearby dumpster. It could have been anything to fill the space with the right weight.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 21, 2013 13:57 as a reply to  @ pwm2's post |  #844

What if "there is" wood in the next shipping the OP gets? Anyone?

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 21, 2013 13:58 |  #845
bannedPermanent ban

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #15516243 (external link)
What if "there is" wood in the next shipping the OP gets? Anyone?

I will “Unsubscribe” from this stupid thread.

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 21, 2013 13:59 |  #846

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15516240 (external link)
... A worker, probably someone working overnight at the 3rd party warehouse/shipper, sees a pile of 5D3s sitting on shelves waiting for orders to come in and realizes that some of them probably won't go out for a while. He has time to swap the contents, dispose of what he's replaced and can then find another job (or alibi) before anyone is any the wiser.

The flooring was probably just what was conveniently available in a nearby dumpster. It could have been anything to fill the space with the right weight.

Wow, this sounds like the perfect scenario. You must be a detective or so, it is so far the most logical explanation for the case we have bee observing. bw!

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

cheezz
172 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 21, 2013 14:18 |  #847

I thought he cancelled the order?

Canon 7D // EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 50mm 1.8 II Nifty Fifty, EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM kit lens, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430EX II
Added: EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6
Added: EF 70-200mm f4L IS
Added: 1.4 II TC

Clemson656
977 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 21, 2013 14:25 |  #848

pwm2 wrote in post #15516214 (external link)
But quite frankly - is there anything that would convince you? Except a link to jail sentences? So why post that you aren't convinced? No one can be convinced in either direction.

Unless an investigation shows proofs of something, we'll never know, will we? There is nothing logically wrong with what LowriderS10 said. Most of members here have been polite enough not to doubt the OP's story. Some others have found it to be odd. But, in the end, only the OP himself, the thief (if other than the OP) and God know who got the first two camera.

Other than that, it could be nothing else other than speculation.

Anyway, I truly believe that Dell just deals with him to resolve this particular issue and moves on. They probably won't sell anything to him after this.

cheezz wrote in post #15516334 (external link)
I thought he cancelled the order?

He said he did, but it's possible that, after the story has been spread out all over the Internet, Dell probably contacted him to resolve the issue to save themselves.

Everyday Gear || 5D III | 6D | 24L II | 50L | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 600EX-RT ||

My Canon Gear List and Feedback!

Computational Photographer ~= Photographer with Computational Photography & Computer Vision Background~= Art + Science :)

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,807 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 21, 2013 14:37 |  #849

mwsilver wrote in post #15516200 (external link)
WHAT? I think that's a really bad decision. How can you possibly trust anything they send you at this point. It could be wood again, it could be a defective camera, it could have missing items, or it could be a camera STOLEN from someone else. My point is, after your two experiences with Dell, why would you even consider giving them a third chance, especially if its from the same distributor and shipper. It makes no sense to me even with the possibility of saving some money. If you get screwed a third time in even the smallest way, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Because he really wants it to be a Canon 5D Mark "Three".

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,899 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 21, 2013 14:44 |  #850

xinvisionx wrote in post #15516457 (external link)
Because he really wants it to be a Canon 5D Mark "Three".

Ah! So that's the reason. I'm a little slow. I just assumed he liked the abuse. There are some people that prefer it when things go wrong so others will feel sorry for them. If it were me, I would have cancelled after the first shipment, bought from B&H or Adorama, and would have be playing with my new camera for the last week instead of posting about not having it.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

MJ23FE
THREAD ­ STARTER
495 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 21, 2013 14:52 |  #851

:o:o:o
:cry::cry::cry:

I just want my camera!!!

-Jalal

JZP
5DIII | BG-E11 | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | Σ50A | 135L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8
30D | BG-E2 | 60 Macro | 10-22 | Tamron 17-50 2.8
Kenko Pro 1.4x TC | Lee | Singh-Ray | B+W

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 21, 2013 14:53 |  #852
bannedPermanent ban

MJ23FE wrote in post #15516521 (external link)

I just want my camera!!!

-Jalal

Or you want this thread to go up to 10k limit :lol:

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 21, 2013 14:54 |  #853

MJ23FE, that's good news! Once your story got 'heard' by more people, a company like Dell is very likely to go to greater depths to make sure you are served well... so, unlike others, I agree with your choice of sticking with them for a last chance of them fixing it, as they would much rather have this story end with: "Finally we resolved the issue and I'm happy with my camera", rather than: "I ended up buying wood at my local hardware store!" :) .

I still have some faith in Dell after being a very serious fan and customer. Good luck, and let us know how this story ends. Only this time video-tape the opening as opposed to photographing it! You can then upload to youtube and get rich! :)

Best regards,
Rafa.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

khughes44
200 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 21, 2013 14:56 |  #854

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15516240 (external link)
I think you're missing the real option. A worker, probably someone working overnight at the 3rd party warehouse/shipper, sees a pile of 5D3s sitting on shelves waiting for orders to come in and realizes that some of them probably won't go out for a while. He has time to swap the contents, dispose of what he's replaced and can then find another job (or alibi) before anyone is any the wiser.

Except that most big ticket items are stored in secure locations and the staff are bonded. A warehouse that employs people to work nights is usually a busy warehouse, meaning theft would be just as difficult at night as during the day. If it wasn't a busy warehouse they would not have a night shift.

We would do well to remember that Dell sells $60 billion annually and none of us have heard of this nonsense first hand before; just a lot of "I heard of a guy who..." nonsense. Our company has made over 1700 individual purchases from Dell since 2002 without a problem, and this guy goes 2 for 2? A guy has a credit account with Dell and he takes the package "up to his room" to open it, and he just happens to be weird enough to take still photos with an iPhone to record the momentous occasion instead of his 30D? I don't believe it for a second.

khughes44
200 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 21, 2013 15:00 |  #855

MJ23FE wrote in post #15516521 (external link)

I just want my camera!!!

-Jalal

Then why don't you cancel your order and just buy it elsewhere?

sponsored links

172,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Ordered a 5D Mark III... But Got Laminate Flooring Instead - Dell.com
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.