Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 18, 2013 09:05 as a reply to  @ post 15504165 |  #9901

85L and 135L........love the shallow magic

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 18, 2013 10:49 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #9902

Something for everyone to think about when considering how your gonna market your senior business

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1267599

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

max3k
780 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 18, 2013 15:11 |  #9903

Read about how I'm continuing the decline of the senior market ^^^

5D Mark II, 70-200L f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and some other stuff
Facebook Page (external link)
http://www.RyanJonesPh​oto.com (external link)
My Photo Blog (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,699 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 18, 2013 15:38 |  #9904

Damn you, dirty ape. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 18, 2013 15:46 |  #9905

Could this be the senior trend for the year? :D

http://thefw.com/leaf-blower-faces/ (external link)

probably not. :)

Canon investor

jerefish
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 19, 2013 07:59 |  #9906

GerryDavid wrote in post #15505987 (external link)
Could this be the senior trend for the year? :D

http://thefw.com/leaf-blower-faces/ (external link)

probably not. :)

I need a better model release form for that....

Jeremy or jfish works
Canon 7d | 70-200 F/4 L
| 28-70mm f/2.8 L
Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Julianne Grace 365

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 19, 2013 10:30 |  #9907

max3k wrote in post #15505837 (external link)
Read about how I'm continuing the decline of the senior market ^^^

Im not singling out you. Im trying to discuss the expectation photographers ( not you in particular) give HS seniors these days with all the perks and goodies and specifically the FREE RIDE that many are giving HS Seniors to be spokes models.

The past 2 yrs I had kids ask me what they get if they are a spokes model. My response has been Nothing is FREE but i do provide some nice products for your family and that is discussed with the rep and their parents when they commit to the program.

This year,, I have a referral program for everyone that walks into the studio. The local schools in my district (3) had as many as 50 plus spokes models running around passing out cards and telling all the friends what they got for free to be a spokes model.......Its a real problem and one that i will not contribute to.

I want the kids to come to me for the photography and the experience. Ive made major changes for 2013 senior programs to make sure thats the decision factor v/s what many are doing as incentives for reps.

This conversation is now being addressed by many in our professional associations here in Muinnesota, on open forums so we can educate photographers about this.

So don't take it personally,, it was not meant to be personal.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

max3k
780 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 19, 2013 11:03 |  #9908

I was posting in jest...

I understand what you're saying, I'm not out to give away anything for free, and don't feel I need to when comparing my work with those in my area.

5D Mark II, 70-200L f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and some other stuff
Facebook Page (external link)
http://www.RyanJonesPh​oto.com (external link)
My Photo Blog (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 19, 2013 11:36 |  #9909

Use to shoot mostly with 70-200mm f2.8 IS II. Now back to 35L, sigma 85mm f1.4 and 135L. Might sell 135L as 85mm f1.4 is looking better.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

JessDawne2004
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 20, 2013 23:36 |  #9910

I know its not a favorite among most professionals, but I'm going to be purchasing the Rebel T3i.. (my first dslr camera, woo!) and I already have two seniors itching to go out and shoot.. and I was wondering which lens, or lenses, you would reccomend? I'm going to be getting EITHER the 18-55mm or the 18-135mm. The camera comes with one or the other, and I was wondering if it even made a difference which one I got, if both of them are useless. If that's the case, I'll just go with the cheaper of the two and use the difference to buy a worthy lens. Any thoughts or suggestions?

JessDawne2004
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 20, 2013 23:44 |  #9911

I do want to say that I planned on getting the 50mm lens already.. I've seen it mentioned a few times, mostly good things. :)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 21, 2013 00:40 |  #9912

JessDawne2004 wrote in post #15514216 (external link)
I know its not a favorite among most professionals, but I'm going to be purchasing the Rebel T3i.. (my first dslr camera, woo!) and I already have two seniors itching to go out and shoot.. and I was wondering which lens, or lenses, you would reccomend? I'm going to be getting EITHER the 18-55mm or the 18-135mm. The camera comes with one or the other, and I was wondering if it even made a difference which one I got, if both of them are useless. If that's the case, I'll just go with the cheaper of the two and use the difference to buy a worthy lens. Any thoughts or suggestions?

My main camera is the Canon T2i, its a great camera and love the lcd size for showing pictures on the body when I have to, plus its big enough to see if they are blinking or not. :D As far as I know the only advantage the T3i has is the swivel screen and maybe better video options.

I rarely use the kit lens, only when I need to go really wide, more than my 24-70 lets me do. If you cant afford a good lens I suggest getting the 50mm F1.8 and 85mm F1.8. :)

umphotography wrote in post #15508219 (external link)
I want the kids to come to me for the photography and the experience. Ive made major changes for 2013 senior programs to make sure thats the decision factor v/s what many are doing as incentives for reps.

Care to share what your 2013 changes are? :)

I was thinking 6 months ago of dropping the rep program and making every customer a "rep" basically, giving them referral cards that will earn them a cool gift and the person they refer an incentive to come to my studio, free set of wallets or something. The reason for the referral card is so multiple people cant claim the referral, which happened to me a couple of years ago.

But I've decided to change my rep contract a bit so its more open and doesn't limit me how many reps I can have in the school, so I can do the incentive program with regular customers with out any problem from the reps.

Tiff, how is your rep program going? Are you still running it?

Canon investor

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 21, 2013 07:05 |  #9913

GerryDavid wrote in post #15514381 (external link)
My main camera is the Canon T2i, its a great camera and love the lcd size for showing pictures on the body when I have to, plus its big enough to see if they are blinking or not. :D As far as I know the only advantage the T3i has is the swivel screen and maybe better video options.

I rarely use the kit lens, only when I need to go really wide, more than my 24-70 lets me do. If you cant afford a good lens I suggest getting the 50mm F1.8 and 85mm F1.8. :)

Care to share what your 2013 changes are? :)

I was thinking 6 months ago of dropping the rep program and making every customer a "rep" basically, giving them referral cards that will earn them a cool gift and the person they refer an incentive to come to my studio, free set of wallets or something. The reason for the referral card is so multiple people cant claim the referral, which happened to me a couple of years ago.

But I've decided to change my rep contract a bit so its more open and doesn't limit me how many reps I can have in the school, so I can do the incentive program with regular customers with out any problem from the reps.

Tiff, how is your rep program going? Are you still running it?

Similar

Rep program is gone. Referral programs for everyone. The kids that we would normally call reps get a 20x30 gallery wrap or 16x20 framed print for a level of referrals(this is really for the moms) and we give the people we select extra wallets for passing out cards. Basically everything is incentive based with extra product but their initial costs are just like everyone else's that come to our studio

NoOne gets a free ride

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

wamerritt
192 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 21, 2013 10:25 |  #9914

JessDawne2004 wrote in post #15514216 (external link)

No one lens is going to make that big of a difference. Photography should be about light and composition before gear. Just buy what you can afford and practice, practice, practice. That said the 50mm lens is a fantastic value.

Wes
http://www.wesmerritt.​com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/wesmerrittphotograp​hy/ (external link)
Olympus OMD M43

KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 21, 2013 19:05 |  #9915

cbknight wrote in post #15498507 (external link)
When everyone comes out of hibernation, let me know if you have had any dealings with CG Pro Prints. Too Good To Be True?

http://www.cgproprints​.com/ (external link)

They ran a special last fall and I ordered a 30x40 for something like $65. They only print at 150 dpi so my expectations weren't high. It looks fine from a distance but the quality isn't that of Miller's or Bay Photo who print at 250 dpi.

Canon 5D MKII gripped | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | 580 EXII | AB 800's

sponsored links

2,731,514 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.