Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Jan 2013 (Monday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WD Passport 1TB vs. 2 TB?

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 21, 2013 16:33 |  #1

Looking for portable storage and wondered if there are any pros or cons to getting the 2TB version vs. a couple of 1TB "My Passport" drives.

Any experience? I see the 2TB is only a little more in cost and wondered about failure rates, etc.

Thanks

sponsored links
tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 21, 2013 16:49 |  #2

No direct experience with those in particular but lots with WD drives in general. With the exception of a bad batch of 320GB disks that I ran into a few years ago (firmware problems, not the physical assembly itself) I haven't had trouble with WD in quite a while, and I use a lot of them. My expectation would be that the difference would be the price and size ;)

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 21, 2013 16:51 |  #3

I prefer Seagate but WD has still served me well.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

trewyn15
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 21, 2013 17:39 |  #4

They're virtually the same construction just one's larger. You shouldn't have an issue with failures if you treat it right.

Mitch
Canon T3 - Canon 60D - Canon Rebel 2000
Canon EOS M - Canon PowerShot SD1100IS
Gear/Feedback

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 21, 2013 19:19 |  #5

_aravena wrote in post #15517039 (external link)
I prefer Seagate but WD has still served me well.

Any particular Seagate portable drive?

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 21, 2013 19:30 |  #6

Using three 2TB WD My Passport drives at work for nightly backups, rotating them offsite weekly. I also store 250 GB worth of personal photo files on these drives for offsite (from home) safety. No problems over the last several months. Would recommend them highly. This said, for my primary photo drive I use a 1TB Buffalo Ministation with no issues. No matter what drive, backup-backup-backup.

Jim

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 21, 2013 22:51 |  #7

Roxie,

The is no measurable difference in failure rate between 1TB and 2TB hard drives, nor is the difference in the reliability between Seagate and Western Digital. I would suggest simply buying the right sized drive for your storage needs and go with either of those two bands...whichever one is cheaper at the time you buy.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

My Gear List

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 21, 2013 23:00 |  #8

I prefer WD over Seagate. I have a 1TB Seagate and a 500GB and a 2TB WD. None have failed but I have two friends with Seagates that failed. I double backup on two separate drive. I am now trying to use a dock that you can plug internal hardrives into. Still wiating on the hardrive to ship. Best of luck!

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

Pi_314
365 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 21, 2013 23:29 |  #9

Always bought WDs, but then there was the time I picked up a Seagate, and it died rather quickly. Needless to say which one gets the nod from then on.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,417 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 22, 2013 00:45 |  #10

Every brand has failed.

Every brand will fail.

Buy whatever is on sale.

Backup your stuff.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 22, 2013 05:32 |  #11

mike_d wrote in post #15518610 (external link)
Every brand has failed.

Every brand will fail.

Buy whatever is on sale.

Backup your stuff.

This. I just had two WDs fail me and no Seagates. The WDs I just bought a new enclosure and they worked fine so it wasn't the drive itself, just the enclosure.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 22, 2013 06:45 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #12

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

At this point, I'm beginning to think it may make sense to just get two 1TB "My Passbook" drives and keep two copies of my photos The "backup the backup" philosophy....

Right now, my image library size is running around eight GB RAWs - but it does grow more quickly with the 5D III file sizes.

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 22, 2013 06:56 |  #13

Yeah, the problem is that you need a multi-level backup strategy so you never trust one device to be "the one" -- or you will eventually lose whatever is on "the one."

That's a absolute certainty.

In my more than 30 years of doing this in the tech field I can tell you that the "best disk drive" company changes from time to time and it's impossible to predict who's in the "turkey box" and who's in the "good box" at any given point. By the time you find out it's too late. There are particular models I avoid, but not brands.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 22, 2013 07:20 |  #14

tickerguy wrote in post #15519099 (external link)
In my more than 30 years of doing this in the tech field I can tell you that the "best disk drive" company changes from time to time and it's impossible to predict who's in the "turkey box" and who's in the "good box" at any given point. By the time you find out it's too late. There are particular models I avoid, but not brands.

Absolutely agree. Poor design, different drives from different manufacturing facilities, even a "bad run" on the assembly line. Plenty of variables to contend with.

Jim

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 22, 2013 15:53 |  #15

tickerguy wrote in post #15519099 (external link)
Yeah, the problem is that you need a multi-level backup strategy so you never trust one device to be "the one" -- or you will eventually lose whatever is on "the one."

That's a absolute certainty.

Well, since you mentioned this - care to comment on the current "My Passport" by Western Digital?? Good, Bad, current line - where are these drives made, etc.

sponsored links

10,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
WD Passport 1TB vs. 2 TB?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.