Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 12:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you store your Media?

breney
291 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2013 12:27 |  #1

Pretty much says it all in the title.
I'm building a new storage system, and I thought "I wonder what everyone else is doing". So that's what this thread is about - For discussing and maybe making a database of everybody's different storage methods. The more creative the better!

Canon 40D gripped • Canon 300D Gripped • Tamron 17-50 f2.8 • Sigma 70-200 f2.8 • Canon 28-200 f3.5-5.6 · Canon 50mm f1.8 •

sponsored links
inernets
594 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 22, 2013 12:36 |  #2

What do you mean, like how do you backup your media onto computer hard drives, or store the media cards themselves?

1D III - 1D II - 5D II - 50D - 40D - EOS M.
16-35mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.0 . 1.4x III, 2x III. 270ex, 270exII, 430ex, 600ex

breney
THREAD ­ STARTER
291 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2013 12:39 |  #3

Sorry, I maybe wasn't too clear. How do you store your digital media, like files and folders on your computer, your photo library etc...

Canon 40D gripped • Canon 300D Gripped • Tamron 17-50 f2.8 • Sigma 70-200 f2.8 • Canon 28-200 f3.5-5.6 · Canon 50mm f1.8 •

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 22, 2013 13:23 |  #4

Virtually all of my data is on a Synology NAS. The most important stuff gets backed up to a USB3.0 hard drive and Crashplan.

breney
THREAD ­ STARTER
291 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2013 13:32 |  #5

mike_d wrote in post #15520534 (external link)
Virtually all of my data is on a Synology NAS. The most important stuff gets backed up to a USB3.0 hard drive and Crashplan.

Really! That's very interesting, as a Synology NAS was one solution I was thinking about - the other buying a mac pro and building a server from it.

What's your opinions of the Synology? What model have you? I'm trying to get as much info as I can to make the most informed decision I can. Thanks

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 22, 2013 13:43 |  #6

breney wrote in post #15520574 (external link)
Really! That's very interesting, as a Synology NAS was one solution I was thinking about - the other buying a mac pro and building a server from it.

What's your opinions of the Synology? What model have you? I'm trying to get as much info as I can to make the most informed decision I can. Thanks

I have the DS-1512+. Its been great. It has 5 hot-swappable bays and can connect up to two additional 5 bay expansion units. I wanted a solution that would let me expand the array as needed into the future without having to do the whole offload/rebuild/reload dance with traditional RAID.

I started out with 3 drives, expanded to 5, and just replaced one of the original WD Greens with a WD Red. I'll be migrating to Reds as funds permit since they're designed for NASs.

Being compatible with Crashplan was a big reason I went with Synology since they're my online backup provider. The Synology acts like just another computer in my account.

I get pretty good speeds over Gigabit Ethernet. Transferring a single large file is basically limited by the network, at around 120MB/sec. Smaller transfers are slower but still faster than a single hard drive would be. I have a smallish SSD in my PC that use as a cache/scratch disk for Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere, etc and I do my initial import from the memory cards to the SSD in Lightroom. Once I've done my edits, I move the folder to the NAS. I can edit directly from the NAS, but its a little faster on the SSD. I also don't want Crashplan trying to back them up until I've culled the rejects.

breney
THREAD ­ STARTER
291 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2013 13:59 |  #7

mike_d wrote in post #15520613 (external link)
I have the DS-1512+. Its been great. It has 5 hot-swappable bays and can connect up to two additional 5 bay expansion units. I wanted a solution that would let me expand the array as needed into the future without having to do the whole offload/rebuild/reload dance with traditional RAID.

I started out with 3 drives, expanded to 5, and just replaced one of the original WD Greens with a WD Red. I'll be migrating to Reds as funds permit since they're designed for NASs.

Being compatible with Crashplan was a big reason I went with Synology since they're my online backup provider. The Synology acts like just another computer in my account.

I get pretty good speeds over Gigabit Ethernet. Transferring a single large file is basically limited by the network, at around 120MB/sec. Smaller transfers are slower but still faster than a single hard drive would be. I have a smallish SSD in my PC that use as a cache/scratch disk for Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere, etc and I do my initial import from the memory cards to the SSD in Lightroom. Once I've done my edits, I move the folder to the NAS. I can edit directly from the NAS, but its a little faster on the SSD. I also don't want Crashplan trying to back them up until I've culled the rejects.

That's a really good system! I have had a firewire 2tb under my desk, but its been filling up, so I've been playing the delicate game of copying files between my mac and it to try and free space - the result is Lightroom being a nightmare as I have to remap every time. I've 3 2tb HD's sitting on my desk - they're just SATA. I've been plugging in them in and out of a USB PCB I took out of an enclosure. It's not a great solution.

I've been torn between a new synology and a used mac pro. I would like to have lots of potential to expand. The synology I was looking at (RS812) is about the same price new as a used mac pro. So that's when I thought that a mac pro would maybe be better, since I could also use it as a computer when I needed the extra horse power and it has the potential to hold more drives than the synology.

Any thoughts?

Mr.Noisy
288 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 22, 2013 14:15 |  #8

Basically I have a Mac Pro, apart from my boot drive and scratch disk there are 2 x 2tb hdd's in a software raid 01, for temp storage and a 6tb fw800 external tub with 2x3tb hdds in a hardware raid 01 for all my lightroom 4 catologue and back ups, then every 6 months I make 2 copies of all my cr2 RAW files on dvd and store these in a aluminium case, so far its worked fine,and is pretty simple, although im thinking of adding a 5 disk drobo to the system and getting rid of the 2 internal hdds and use those for TV and movies. too many people over think it and make it to complicated, when it should be as simple as you can make it. Personally i'd get a used mac pro and a fw Drobo. :D

Gear List

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 22, 2013 16:25 as a reply to  @ Mr.Noisy's post |  #9

I have a Mac Pro with a 2TB drive for digital image storage. I have a secondary internal 2TB drive which is used by Time Machine for automatic backups. In case the whole computer goes up in a fire or is stolen, I have two external backup 2TB drives for backup using Carbon Copy Cloner, which I rotate. I keep the 'spare' in a fireproof box in the basement. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I want to sleep at night.

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 22, 2013 16:57 |  #10

Being a former IT guy I am backup paranoid. I use an onsite raid and an offsite raid, I also use duel drives in the field as well. My current onsite is a Promise Pegasus R6, with a Drobo offsite. My location setup is a set of SSD externals. For the offsite the drive is at the house of a friend and fellow photog and his backup is at my place. So far it is working really well.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 22, 2013 17:00 |  #11

RAID 1 with backup on Time Capsule

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 22, 2013 18:37 |  #12

I backup in external drives and weekly backups to the Fujitsu server I built (8tb)

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 22, 2013 18:47 |  #13

All my files are date coded, followed by an abbreviation that I understand what in general is going to be in that folder (Following the date so that it doesn't interfere with sorting). Then All images of each year are achieved in the that years Main folder, on external HD.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 22, 2013 21:15 |  #14

i have 2x 2tb hard drives - one is at work, and the other stored at home - pictures are mirrored on both of them

i figure if something wipes out boths drives, then i have bigger issues than missing pictures.

on the drives stuff is sorted by category
i have the following categories
Weddings
Motorsport (further split into Drift, Circuit, Dirt Rally, Tarmac Rally, Bikes)
Animals
Work (basically anything i have shot at work)
Holidays

each set of pictures (each job or event) is in its own folder and dated named with YYYY MM DD (my initials) (3 letter code for job type, GEN for general, SPT for sport etc) followed by a description of the job

for example - Darling 200 Rally last year is labelled "20121117 BZC MOT Darling200 Rally SS 1 3 5"
that breaks down to 17th Nov 2012, Motorsport, Darling 200 Rally, stages #1, #3 and #5

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

CxThree
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 22, 2013 21:24 |  #15

I put them all on my local Hard drive via lightroom import. I then run a utility called SyncToy that copies them to my Windows Home Server Photos share in a closet in my home. Each night, a separate image backup of all my home computers is done by WIndows Home Server. All data on the home server is stored on a redundant drive array. As a separate precaution, I manually backup my images to an external USB drive on a regular basis and store that in a fireproof safe (large 800lb) in my home. I have a 2nd copy of this at my office.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

sponsored links

5,539 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you store your Media?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.