Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Microfocus difference - Servo vs 1-shot?

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 20, 2013 14:54 |  #1

I have a 1D-III (1D 3) body and shoot indoor sports with the canon 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8 and 135 f/2L lenses. I've dialed in the MF adjustment on static subjects but when shooting action, all 3 lenses tend to back-focus.

I have the AF moved to the back button. If I shoot a stationary player (or cheerleader :-) the AF is spot-on. Hit the AF button momentarily, then take the shot.

If I'm shooting a player coming down court for a lay-up, I'll have 1/2 of the images in a sequence back focused.

I'm using center point AF only.

Is it normal to require different MF Adjust settings for server vs. one-shot AF modes?

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 21, 2013 06:05 |  #2

It sounds as if you're releasing the AF button before firing the shutter release. This will be OK with stationary subjects. But with moving subjects the AF will stop tracking them when you release. In the time between releasing AF and firing the shutter the subject has moved towards you, forward of the plane of focus. Hence the shots appear back-focused.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,483 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 21, 2013 08:14 |  #3

One typically gets backfocused shots in the situation you describe from two sources:

1) You may have picked up the target and started shooting immediately. The more time you give the AF system before you start shooting, the more accurate it will be. If you can give it a solid half second, the performance should be good.

2) You may have allowed the AF point to wander off the target momentarily while tracking them. The servo focus is predictive, so giving the AF system constant data on the speed and location of the subject is important. If the AF point leaves the target for any reason, the data is worsened and the performance goes down.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 22, 2013 20:41 |  #4

Hollis_F - Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm staying on the AF button when the action is continuous. The only time I press and release it is when I am shooting a static subject.

JeffreyG - I've seen the issue where shooting too soon gives you one or two OOF frames so I always strive to get AF going for as long as possible before starting to shoot.

Update - Tonight I shot a game but this time, I shift the lens MFA 5 points left for my main lenses. What a difference. Instead of throwing away most of my shots due to OOF, I kept most as they were in focus.

It is yet to be seen whether the new MF adjustments will mess up one-shot or static subject focusing.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

928 views & 0 likes for this thread
Microfocus difference - Servo vs 1-shot?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.