Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 11:21
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Did you shoot film or only digital?"
I started with film then moved to digital
79.8%
I started with digital
20.2%

396 voters, 396 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

did you shoot film?

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 22, 2013 11:52 |  #211

I've taken Polarod pics before but every camera I've ever owned was digital.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 22, 2013 16:36 as a reply to  @ 1000WordsPhotography's post |  #212

Why it is film vs digital now?
If I need macro, I use DSLR, if I want very unique looking SOOC BW portrait, I'll grab film MF.
If I want play on streets I'll take film RF, if I go to Irish Pub after and want to share some pictures from it, I use iPhone.

Few weeks ago I was reading famous baby photographer article. Most of you know her, she puts little ones on huge pumpkins and so on. She has her book published. All pictures in her article were 10+ years old and all were film MF. Yet, she mentioned, now it is digital for her. Easy to make money with.
Same for this Canadian in NY. Why he should put his time, which is money on risk and travel with film MF to take same kind of BW shots many took before him?
Instead he makes it with digital, in colors and pinkish PP.
Guess what, I look at thousands pictures every three months or so. I remember his African pictures right away, once I opened provided here link.
Good photographer is not the one with minivan of all kind of gear, it is the one who makes his pictures recognizable and memorizable.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

JoeyH
75 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 22, 2013 16:45 |  #213

To be honest. Never owned a camera in my life, but shot with a fully automatic film camera (basically a heavy, bulky 'compact') on holidays.. The only thing you could change was the sensitivity of the film, but you would have to make 24/36 shots with as far as I remember ISO 100 or ISO 400. That's the only film they sold at local stores. Unfortunately, this camera died last year.

Don't worry, I'm planning to buy my very own camera soon :)

500PX (external link)
700D | 18-135 IS STM

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2013 16:48 |  #214
bannedPermanent ban

kf095 wrote in post #15521364 (external link)
Why it is film vs digital now?
If I need macro, I use DSLR, if I want very unique looking SOOC BW portrait, I'll grab film MF.
If I want play on streets I'll take film RF, if I go to Irish Pub after and want to share some pictures from it, I use iPhone.

Few weeks ago I was reading famous baby photographer article. Most of you know her, she puts little ones on huge pumpkins and so on. She has her book published. All pictures in her article were 10+ years old and all were film MF. Yet, she mentioned, now it is digital for her. Easy to make money with.
Same for this Canadian in NY. Why he should put his time, which is money on risk and travel with film MF to take same kind of BW shots many took before him?
Instead he makes it with digital, in colors and pinkish PP.
Guess what, I look at thousands pictures every three months or so. I remember his African pictures right away, once I opened provided here link.
Good photographer is not the one with minivan of all kind of gear, it is the one who makes his pictures recognizable and memorizable.

Digital vs film... How did we get here? Oh, those who does not shoot film feeling the need to justify why they shouldn't shoot film. And telling us, those who shoot film and digital ironically, to mind our places. Hahahaha.... I say it again. I shoot BOTH. In fact, I will even shoot more films since I have discovered that my 35mm negatives seem to turn up pretty well for web usage size from the scan I did. Is it so bad to know that digital photography isn't the end all of all photography?

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 22, 2013 18:04 |  #215

TooManyShots wrote in post #15521415 (external link)
Digital vs film... How did we get here? Oh, those who does not shoot film feeling the need to justify why they shouldn't shoot film. And telling us, those who shoot film and digital ironically, to mind our places. Hahahaha.... I say it again. I shoot BOTH. In fact, I will even shoot more films since I have discovered that my 35mm negatives seem to turn up pretty well for web usage size from the scan I did. Is it so bad to know that digital photography isn't the end all of all photography?

No one, and I mean NO ONE is justifying anything except you Victor. All I see are balanced and thoughtful responses from almost everyone here. I know I have never, even knocked film. Why would I when I feel that it's just another medium to realize your creative vision? You are the one all caught up in film and how it's a "+1" and how digital photographers are "one trick ponies" and how us digital photographers have a gaping hole in us because we have never experienced film. These are all blanket statements and have absolutely zero correlation to talent and skill level. None.

Do you think guys like Joey Lawrence think they need to justify anything? Do you think I, as a digital only shooter, feel like I need to justify anything? Of course not. Because I don't give a sh*t about the medium I shoot in. I only care about creating engaging photographs and I strive to become better at exactly that. I certainly hope that you are doing the same but if that makes me narrow minded and a one trick pony, then hey, I want to be narrow minded and a one trick pony and continue to strive to make compelling and engaging photographs while you do...we what exactly is it that you do man? I mean, I think it's great that you are tinkering in film and I am sure you are learning a lot from it. But for the love of all things holy, stop drinking that kool-aid bro. Shooting both DOES NOT MAKE YOU BETTER. That's not a justification on my part or anyone else who doesn't shoot film. That's just fact...and that isn't lost on most of the folks that posted in here...except you.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 22, 2013 18:08 |  #216

kf095 wrote in post #15521364 (external link)

EXACTLY.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2013 18:14 |  #217
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan wrote in post #15521663 (external link)
No one, and I mean NO ONE is justifying anything except you Victor. All I see are balanced and thoughtful responses from almost everyone here. I know I have never, even knocked film. Why would I when I feel that it's just another medium to realize your creative vision? You are the one all caught up in film and how it's a "+1" and how digital photographers are "one trick ponies" and how us digital photographers have a gaping hole in us because we have never experienced film. These are all blanket statements and have absolutely zero correlation to talent and skill level. None.

Do you think guys like Joey Lawrence think they need to justify anything? Do you think I, as a digital only shooter, feel like I need to justify anything? Of course not. Because I don't give a sh*t about the medium I shoot it. I only care about creating engaging photographs and I strive to become better at exactly that. I certainly hope that you are doing the same. I think it's great that you are exploring the world of film and I am sure you are learning a lot from it. But for the love of all things holy, stop drinking that kool-aid bro. Shooting both DOES NOT MAKE YOU BETTER. That's not a justification on my part of anyone else who doesn't shoot film. That's just fact...that that isn't lost on most of the folks that posted in here...except you.

Hehehe....:) So, tell me, Nick, why are you here arguing and writing a book about your point of view on film? Ironically, you don't even shoot film. If this is not a justification of you not shooting film, I don't know what is. Oh, Joey, he ain't here. He isn't really in this discussion. I still think his works lack varieties. I hope he isn't an one trick pony, in his medium AND style. That's bad.

Do you have anything interesting to say about shooting film? I mean, seriously, your ranting and your desire to put film in its place are a bit boring.

Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2013 18:15 |  #218
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan wrote in post #15521678 (external link)
EXACTLY.

Dude, he was making a reference to Joey hauling his lighting gear in his van in his trip in Africa. :rolleyes: Sigh....

Facebook (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 22, 2013 21:27 |  #219

TooManyShots wrote in post #15521701 (external link)
Hehehe....:) So, tell me, Nick, why are you here arguing and writing a book about your point of view on film? Ironically, you don't even shoot film. If this is not a justification of you not shooting film, I don't know what is. Oh, Joey, he ain't here. He isn't really in this discussion. I still think his works lack varieties. I hope he isn't an one trick pony, in his medium AND style. That's bad.

Do you have anything interesting to say about shooting film? I mean, seriously, your ranting and your desire to put film in its place are a bit boring.

Put film in its place? You mean the part where I mention it was just as viable as any other medium? Then hey, I guess I was ranting. Your consistent reading comprehension issue just cracks me up. That's not to mention how you seem to dismiss anybody who doesn't agree with your perspective. But hey, it's all good man.

Let me clue you in on something. Gathering from the responses, I am not the one spewing a bunch of egotistic B.S. calling people a one trick pony, narrow minded, etc. Pretty sad dude.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 22, 2013 21:30 |  #220

TooManyShots wrote in post #15521708 (external link)
Dude, he was making a reference to Joey hauling his lighting gear in his van in his trip in Africa. :rolleyes: Sigh....

Um, pretty sure he was paying him a compliment and saying how the type of gear you use doesn't have a correlation with talent and style. But hey, let me not bore you with the actual details. :lol:

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 22, 2013 21:31 |  #221

Don't sigh too much. You might pass out. :lol:

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 22, 2013 21:47 as a reply to  @ post 15519818 |  #222

Read this, if you miss minivan point:
http://www.joeyl.com/g​ear (external link) it has travel kit.
Nothing, but one light.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2013 21:55 |  #223
bannedPermanent ban

kf095 wrote in post #15522548 (external link)
Read this, if you miss minivan point:
http://www.joeyl.com/g​ear (external link) it has travel kit.
Nothing, but one light.

He does use a van or a truck or some sort. Scroll down and to see the shot of him and his assistant packing things up because it began to rain. http://www.joeyl.com …kage/session-with-joey-l/ (external link) Come to think of it, it is quite interesting he is trying to market himself by offering lessons on his photography. Is only $200. Hey, what can I say?

Facebook (external link)

BioSci
413 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 22, 2013 21:57 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #224

Oh man, answering this question makes me feel old!

My first camera was pretty old even when I was given it by my dad in the 1950's. It was a 1920's Kodak Autographic Brownie, with a little window on the back to allow you to get the autograph of whomever you just photographed directly on the negative! There's a photo of one here (external link).

My first 35mm was a Argus Cintar C3, which I got in 1963. It was the size and shape of a brick, like the one seen here (external link).

How times have changed!

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2013 22:00 |  #225
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan wrote in post #15522484 (external link)
Put film in its place? You mean the part where I mention it was just as viable as any other medium? Then hey, I guess I was ranting. Your consistent reading comprehension issue just cracks me up. That's not to mention how you seem to dismiss anybody who doesn't agree with your perspective. But hey, it's all good man.

Let me clue you in on something. Gathering from the responses, I am not the one spewing a bunch of egotistic B.S. calling people a one trick pony, narrow minded, etc. Pretty sad dude.

Seriously dude, you need to start your own thread on "Do you not shoot film?" I think we should have a sub section on POTN about Film. That should keep you busy for a while, huh...:cool: I can see that you would contribute a lot.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

30,195 views & 0 likes for this thread
did you shoot film?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.