Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 09 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography is not a crime!!!

saturnin
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 09, 2010 22:02 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, so here it goes. Its a blog that deals with current info on Law, photographers etc. Interesting stuff.

http://www.pixiq.com/c​ontributors/248 (external link)

here is one of the stories

Philly Transit Cops Add Photog to Terrorist Database

While some of us celebrated the fact that the Department of Homeland Security acknowledged last week that photographing public buildings is legal, most of us are unaware that the DHS is creating a national database of people committing “suspicious activity.”

This, of course, includes photographers.

Pennsylvania photographer Scott Frederick reports on his blog that he was confronted on Tuesday by two Philadelphia Transit police officers as he was taking pictures on his way down the stairs into the city’s subway.

The officers demanded his identification, informing him that he was going to be added to the “Terrorism Data Base.”

I asked if it was against the law to photograph in the underground, and he said some song and dance about the Madrid bombings, etc. I figured I was going to receive a citation or a warning. I was asked for ID, and I cooperated with the officer. He then began to tell me how I was going to be added to the Terrorism Data Base. I couldn’t believe my ears, but I didn’t want to start any trouble.

This database is described in detail on the Center for Investigative Reporting.

Federal officials are closer to establishing what amounts to a nationwide database of so-called “suspicious activity reports” that describe possible evidence of terrorist attack planning. Reports will be submitted not just by state and local police and agencies within the Department of Homeland Security, but also private corporations that control economic and infrastructure assets considered high-profile targets for terrorists.

A required public notice surfaced one day before the nine-year anniversary of Sept. 11 confirming that DHS would be finished implementing its own internal database of suspicious activity reports by mid-October. Contents will flow in from DHS personnel at the Coast Guard, Border Patrol, Transportation Security Administration and other agencies housed in the department.

I guess the thing to do is to refuse to provide identification if you know you are not breaking the law.

This could get you arrested — even though there is no legal basis for it — but it could also overwhelm the officers into releasing you, as we have seen in the past.

*if this is the wrong section for this, please feel free to move it to the right one.. thanks

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.com (external link) samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.com (external link) - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

sponsored links
AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 09, 2010 23:22 |  #2

Hilarious. I'm sure the data will be analysed. if you're stopped a few times (say, taking night pictures every day for a week), that's a trend and cause for investigation.

Gear

jpc271
61 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 09, 2010 23:22 |  #3

Won't you please, won't you please
Please won't you be my Nanny.

Canon 40d; 18-55 cheap and it works, 50 f/1.8 ii.

camarod
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 11, 2010 08:04 as a reply to  @ jpc271's post |  #4

Just typical of generally, poorly informed security personnel. However, I once saw a bumper sticker on a backpack of a kid walking down the street that read, 'Skateboarding is not a crime'. My first thought was; neither is sex but, depending on where you do it and who you're doing it with, it may be.

If you are sticking a 600mm lens through the fence at the White House with your Muslim friends you might garner some attention. If you're standing across the street with a 50mm lens, you would probably go unnoticed. Shooting in/around public transportation hubs, that have been known to be targets of attacks, could, very well, get you noticed.

40D - Gripped, Thrifty 50, Sigma 30mm 1.4, 70-200 f/2.8L, 300mm f/4L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70mm

View galleries @ dalereed.com

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,986 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 11, 2010 08:15 |  #5

camarod wrote in post #11264701 (external link)
If you are sticking a 600mm lens through the fence at the White House with your Muslim friends you might garner some attention. If you're standing across the street with a 50mm lens, you would probably go unnoticed.

Trust me, do either one of those at the WH and you have already been scoped by secret service...and I dont mean with a spotting scope either, I mean one attached to a high powered rifle...notice that very nice man on the roof of the Wh....he aint there to enjoy the sights...;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 22, 2013 13:47 |  #6

New video clips from Carlos Miller >>>

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=R6jPq5QJKHc (external link)

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=OCEltE1YCtI (external link)

I was attacked, choked, suffocated and handcuffed by 50 State security guards for shooting video on the Miami-Dade Metrorail Sunday night, escalating a pending state lawsuit into a possible federal suit.

As you will see in the above video, they tried to push me down the escalator and I shoved back in order to defend myself, which prompted at least three security guards to pounce on me, including one security guard named R. Myers who violently choked me to the point where I thought I was going to die.

I was video recording on my iPhone and my friend was recording on his camera. Both of us ended up handcuffed and detained until City of Miami and Miami-Dade police arrived, both who knew right away who I was.

We were released an hour later with a $100 citation accusing us of “producing loud or excessive noise,” which is a lie.

My friend, who is visiting from California, was taking a picture of the Dade County Courthouse as we were waiting for the southbound train to go back to my place.

I was taking a photo of him, taking a photo of the building for possibly uploading to Facebook. We were joking that it probably looked real gay, me kneeling in front of him as he took a photo.

We were not yelling or making any kind of noise.

A 50 State security guard announced on the loudspeaker to stop taking photos. He then came out to confront us. I switched my iPhone to video record and walked up to him.

He said it was illegal to photograph the rail portion of the train, which, of course, is complete hogwash. He then accused me of being drunk. I had three drinks in two hours while watching football and I am not a lightweight.

They then told me I had to leave the Metrorail because I was drunk and I refused because I had not done anything illegal. I just wanted to take the train home.

And I wasn’t drunk. He didn’t notice I had been drinking until he got close to me and he smelled something.

But as they started crowding me, I started walking towards the escalator.

At the top of the escalator, one of them shoved me hard as if to push me down the escalator, which is when I shoved back.

Then three of them piled on top of me, including one choking me where I couldn’t even breathe, leaving me gasping for air.

When R. Myer walked up to us, I was hoping he would de-escalate the situation but he escalated completely.

He is a tall black man who wears a USMC logo on his name badge. He was the one choking me. He wouldn’t have hesitated to kill me.

I can only imagine how many complaints he has had against him.

Surprisingly, they returned my phone and my friend’s camera to me as I was handcuffed, placing them in my pockets.

Miami-Dade police officer Luis Fernandez, who is familiar with this blog and agreed that Nancy Perez made a horrible witness, even made it a point to say they didn’t delete my footage.

Below is a video of my injuries. I am in a lot of pain right now. I would like to visit a hospital but I am way too tired and I don’t have insurance anyway.

I have a history of getting assaulted and harassed by 50 State which is why I’m already suing them. But it’s never been as bad as this one.

Here is my friend’s account of the incident:

It’s tough to stand up for your constitutional rights. And it’s tough to stand up to authority.

I’m glad I have Carlos to do it for me – and that’s why I support him.

When I told people I was going to Miami to visit Carlos, one of my dearest friends, people joked about not bailing me out.

But I didn’t think twice when Carlos suggested taking the Metrorail after watching the Ravens game. And what’s the worst that could happen when at the Government Center station we walked to the end of the platform to take a photo of the art deco courthouse.

Things changed so quickly. A voice on the PA said something about stop taking pictures and a couple of security guards came. They immediately said we couldn’t take pictures of the rail and we had to leave. After some tense back and forth, Carlos slowly made his way to the escalator. Then the guards shoved him and started to try to put the cuffs on – as he stepped on to the escalator. They all tumbled to the metal steps toward me. Gutierrez stopped helping subdue Carlos, inexplicably to grab my camera. He knocked it out of my hands and it turned off. But I grabbed it and turned it back on to capture Myers with Carlos in a choke hold, Carlos’ shirt was ripped and his shoes were off.

Soon I was handcuffed and so was Carlos. I had never been in handcuffs before – and though the guards and the police were gentle with me – the cuffs still bruised my wrists and strained my back. I was really afraid of what was going to happen – and I was barely involved. But I felt guilty for just being there with Carlos. I felt guilty for taking photos in a public place in the land of the free and the home of the brave. And I was scared because I had been a witness to what happened – abuse of power under the color of the law. In the end, Carlos was assaulted – not because he broke any laws – but because he didn’t do what he was told. As if we were in an Eastern Bloc country during the Cold War.

When Perez finally heard the name of the founder of PhotographyIsNotaCrime​.com, he repeated it like cuss words – “Carlos Miller.”

Of course they didn’t cite us for the crime of photography. Not for intoxication (which we weren’t) or even trespassing. But after more than an hour in cuffs, the Miami-Dade officers argued about the charge (speaking in Spanish sometimes) until deciding that we would be charged with being loud.

Source:
http://www.photography​isnotacrime.com …hotos-and-shooting-video/ (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,373 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 22, 2013 14:44 |  #7

amoergosum wrote in post #15520634 (external link)
New video clips from Carlos Miller >>>

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=R6jPq5QJKHc (external link)

I love it when people... including photographers... purposely bait security personnel and the police. Yeah, they were there to photograph the courthouse... at night... with a point & shoot. :rolleyes:

They're the ones who come off looking like idiots and jerks.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 22, 2013 14:54 |  #8

Geez, how would they go in NYC?? I have never seen so many people with cameras in one place in my life as when we visited there. They'd have their hands full that is for sure!

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 22, 2013 15:01 |  #9

I don't know, I think some of my shots are a crime, against photography...

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 23, 2013 12:05 |  #10

mpix345 wrote in post #15520964 (external link)
I don't know, I think some of my shots are a crime, against photography...

!!!:D:D

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 23, 2013 12:24 |  #11

LV Moose wrote in post #15520874 (external link)
I love it when people... including photographers... purposely bait security personnel and the police. Yeah, they were there to photograph the courthouse... at night... with a point & shoot. :rolleyes:

They're the ones who come off looking like idiots and jerks.

Not so much. They're the ones holding these *******s accountable for their actions. I have no respect for "bully cops" and even less for mall cops.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links

4,633 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography is not a crime!!!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.