Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 20:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to photography, have a 5D question

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 23, 2013 19:58 |  #31

td2243 wrote in post #15525454 (external link)
Here are some test shots I got today out running around downtown...Please feel free to critique.

These are very good for a beginner - you have "the eye". Please remember that a lot of very technical and rule-oriented people are attracted to photography. I have often seen exactly the good and interesting things about images harshly critiqued, just because they don't follow some "rule". So always accept critique as another person's opinion and let your own judgement be final.

QUOTED IMAGE

I see some JPEG artifacts around the top left of the statue. They might have come from the camera or postprocessing. If you are shooting JPEG in the camera, make sure you have "quality" set to high - this is independent of the number of pixels IIRC. With modern computers/networks/car​ds it isn't worth the tradeoff to shoot highly compressed JPEG.

QUOTED IMAGE

I would have increased the exposure slightly to emphasise the flowers in the window rather than the sky. That would also bring out more detail in the wooden beams. (It's possible that's actually what you see on your monitor - most are set to run too bright. I am looking at this on a calibrated monitor.)

** Your equipment is completely suitable for a beginner, and in fact the big 100% finder and good outer autofocus points will make learning easier. Your logic in choosing it makes perfect sense to me, even though you didn't ask for my or anyone else's opinion on it. I would probably have ended up with the same camera for slightly different reasons.

sponsored links
td2243
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 23, 2013 21:59 |  #32

Yeah, today I intentionally had the jpeg set fairly small.

YES, I wanted to the blue frame and flowers to 'pop' more, so slightly bumping the exposure could have done that?

BigCarbs
156 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 23, 2013 22:06 |  #33

melcat wrote in post #15526155 (external link)
These are very good for a beginner - you have "the eye". Please remember that a lot of very technical and rule-oriented people are attracted to photography. I have often seen exactly the good and interesting things about images harshly critiqued, just because they don't follow some "rule". So always accept critique as another person's opinion and let your own judgement be final.

I see some JPEG artifacts around the top left of the statue. They might have come from the camera or postprocessing. If you are shooting JPEG in the camera, make sure you have "quality" set to high - this is independent of the number of pixels IIRC. With modern computers/networks/car​ds it isn't worth the tradeoff to shoot highly compressed JPEG.

I would have increased the exposure slightly to emphasise the flowers in the window rather than the sky. That would also bring out more detail in the wooden beams. (It's possible that's actually what you see on your monitor - most are set to run too bright. I am looking at this on a calibrated monitor.)

** Your equipment is completely suitable for a beginner, and in fact the big 100% finder and good outer autofocus points will make learning easier. Your logic in choosing it makes perfect sense to me, even though you didn't ask for my or anyone else's opinion on it. I would probably have ended up with the same camera for slightly different reasons.

You sure that isn't bird poop?:lol:

I would love to get this camera but don't think I can justify it yet, will most likely go with a 6d in the near future.. looking good though

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 23, 2013 22:14 |  #34

BigCarbs wrote in post #15526628 (external link)
You sure that isn't bird poop?:lol:

cracking me up.. I've looked at that picture 5-6 times now from opening this thread, and not until I read that did I see the poop.. too funny.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 23, 2013 22:17 |  #35

Yeah I have a 5D3 and it's overkill for me too, but who cares. If he has the money then so be it.

The cemetery shot looks like the sharp DOF area is just behind the gravestone maybe about 6-8 inches (in the grass) back from where I expected it to be, on the gravestone words. Hard to tell though.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,212 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 23, 2013 22:24 |  #36

I am sure you will get more advice here than you want..... ;)

Most of the time, all intentions are good. Have fun with your new camera. I am envious.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

td2243
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 23, 2013 23:10 |  #37

There was definitely poop on the statue.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,581 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 23, 2013 23:18 |  #38

Great shots! I agree with melcat about the last pic, the overall exposure looks dark to me. I love how quick everyone is to jump at my opinion... lol, anyway, you clearly knew what I was trying to convey and I think you're on the right track with your 5D3, so have fun!

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 24, 2013 01:18 |  #39

td2243 wrote in post #15526598 (external link)
Yeah, today I intentionally had the jpeg set fairly small.

On my 5D original, there's S(mall), M(edium) and L(arge), which refer to the number of pixels, and then for each of those there are two quality levels, denoted by quarter circles which are either smooth (high quality) or blocky (lower quality). You want the ones with the smooth quarter circles, regardless of size: the size saving for low quality isn't worth it in 2013.

"Quality" in JPEG refers to how much less-visible detail is thrown away, not the image size.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm seeing when I zoom into the sandstone behind the statue (on the other side from the bird poop), but it could be JPEG set wrongly. It seemed a good idea to mention it before you went out and shot 6 months' worth of stuff like that. I'm not on the machine with my photo tools so I can't see all the metadata.

YES, I wanted to the blue frame and flowers to 'pop' more, so slightly bumping the exposure could have done that?

I have tried it now - in Mac Preview, Photoshop's on the other machine - and it looks a little better to me. You can't go far because you want to retain texture in the wall. One thing I hadn't anticipated is that the gradient in the sky gets a little much; I'm guessing you used a polariser. This is all subjective.

There is a feature on your camera called "exposure bracketing". You can set it to take 3 shots at 0 and 1/3 over and under in this kind of difficult light, and choose the best one later. With JPEG, this is better than trying to fix it on a computer.

mcoomer
225 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 24, 2013 09:28 |  #40

I didn't need a motorcycle that can do 150mph, or two mountain bikes, or a 4WD truck when I never go offroad, or 180 gallon saltwater tank, a 4 bedroom house when I don't have kids, or my current 5D2. I wanted them, I can afford them, I bought them. Good enough for me. I have fun every time I use one of them and I felt a lot better when I quit worrying about what other people thought of the way I spend my money and time.

Have fun with your 5D3. Looks like you're off to a great start.

Mike

Gripped 5D2, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 580EXII

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,011 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 24, 2013 16:09 |  #41

Seems like you've got a natural eye. Keep it up!

Nothing wrong with starting out big if you can afford it. I would have saved myself a lot of money in the long run (buying and selling at a loss), had I done the same.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

sponsored links

3,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to photography, have a 5D question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.