Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 May 2012 (Thursday) 18:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

westcott 7 foot parabolic umbrella

Pink ­ Butterfly
57 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 13, 2013 21:14 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

shawncorson wrote in post #14375444 (external link)
Has anyone ever used this if so do you have photos as examples? I do a lot of outdoor portrait work and would love to check one of these out or examples of photos (can't find too many online). I understand it will give out such a broad amount of light but it would be nice to see some examples.

A 7-foot diameter umbrella is not a really good idea for outdoor sessions. Even the slightest breeze is going to be problematic.

Who doesn't love a Pink Butterfly?

sponsored links
BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,307 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 13, 2013 22:03 |  #17

Pink Butterfly wrote in post #15484859 (external link)
A 7-foot diameter umbrella is not a really good idea for outdoor sessions. Even the slightest breeze is going to be problematic.

That's what sandbags are for. It's not *ideal*, but far from a bad idea if you know what you're doing and plan accordingly.

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

Sheldon ­ N
Goldmember
2,164 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 13, 2013 23:08 |  #18

And by "plan accordingly" you mean "don't shoot outside with a 7-foot diameter umbrella when there is any wind", right?

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2013 23:20 |  #19

I have a 7' parabolic umbrella and wouldnt even consider opening it up outdoors...I dont like to use it indoors without an assistant there to hold it.. I havent used it for any portrait work yet, but have used it a lot for large group shots and it does a wonderful job!

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 14, 2013 15:32 |  #20

gonzogolf wrote in post #14380409 (external link)
I have an 86 PLM and have looked closely at the westcott. I dont think there is much difference in quality. The first version of the PLM had issues, but more recent builds are much better.

Right they're virtually identical, I had both and sold the Wescott. The fabric seems nicer on the Wescott but optically the PLM is superior. PCB himself talks about this, I experienced it first hand.

If your shooting PCB lights then the PLM is the better choice for the on axis mount.

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 14, 2013 15:36 |  #21

Its not good in the wind it wants to invert. I would Get the PLM better built quality.

I AM SHOM

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Jan 24, 2013 10:57 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Oh, c'mon guys ... It's good to get some excitement every now & then.

I think it would be fun to get a 7-foot diameter umbrella swaying up-and-down & side-to-side & back-and-forth. It is also a good test to see if you purchased enough sand bags, and if your location stand is sturdy enough!!! Even if you load the base with several 35-lb shot bags (those suckers are HEAVY), many light weight aluminum stands will still whip around because the columns are too flimsy.

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything larger than a 42" or 48" umbrella outdoors, unless the wind seems dead-still.

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 24, 2013 11:05 as a reply to  @ post 15483472 |  #23

Just took this last Sunday with the Parabolic ...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

RKruegerPhotoNJ
288 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 13, 2013 08:33 |  #24

I just picked up one of the Westcott 7' Parabolics in Silver/Black for a pinup shoot I did yesterday at a local burlesque/road house location. The only concern I had initially was being able to fill it with a 580EX II - I assure you that is not a concern! I simply moved to full power, at the widest zoom setting and used the flip-down diffuser to get to a 14mm spread.

I haven't edited any of the shots yet, but they look fantastic - the light is gorgeous, and with a simple 10 lb sandbag, I was able to keep the stand in place without being nervous.

I also that the PCB PLM in Soft Silver for use with my Bees in my studio, but I generally leave it set up, and wanted a similar option for location work with my speedlights. This parabolic is just fantastic!

Rick Krueger - Morristown, NJ
My Website (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link) | Facebook (external link)

shawncorson
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 13, 2013 13:26 |  #25

So it's been some time now since this topic was created. I got one, used it and found out -- it's not something I could really get much use out of. I've stopped outdoor photography for the most part and have moved more into studio work (which is posted around the forum mainly in the "people" section) and I have found even for outside work my 24" beauty dish does a fantastic job and there's no need AT THE MOMENT for such a large umbrella for such a large amount of light. Perhaps indoor it would work well for group shots etc. But as of now, I'm fine with my other modifiers. Thanks for all the replies!

Equipment: 5D MKii / 50mm 1.8 / 70-200mm F4L / 100mm 2.8 / 430ex II (x2)
http://facebook.com/re​galrebelphoto (external link) | http://regalrebelphoto​.com (external link)

sponsored links

6,292 views & 0 likes for this thread
westcott 7 foot parabolic umbrella
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.