Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 18:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Airlines of Flying with a Camera Bag.........

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,623 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 21, 2013 13:24 |  #16

I have travelled often with my Thinktank Streetwalker HD fully loaded with tripod externally attached and have never had a single issue.

EOS R5 | EOS R6 | EF 8-15L | RF 15-35L 2.8 | RF 24-70L 2.8 | RF 85L 1.2 | RF 70-200L 2.8 | RF 100-500L

sponsored links
tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 21, 2013 13:40 |  #17

Tripods with spiked feet are sometimes flagged by the TSA. And if they do flag it, you're screwed. Yes, I know it's stupid -- this is the government we're talking about -- the same one that has hassled people for knitting needles.

If yours has removable spikes remove them and put those in your checked baggage. If you're not checking a bag then consider how badly you need the spikes and if you're willing to lose them at the checkpoint if challenged on them.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

Grentz
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 21, 2013 19:56 |  #18

I travel with my domke f2 and a backpack as carry ons. No issues at all. I usually keep the domke with me and backpack up top

Search.TechIslands.com (external link) - Photography Shopping Search Engine

www.TechIslands.com (external link) - News and Reviews

My Gear List - 60D

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 21, 2013 22:46 |  #19

I have seen a good amount of Tripods but then again, I have seen a lot of stupid stuff get taken away. I have gone through TSA a few times with a knife by accident and some times I get my eye drops questioned so it's going to be a hit or miss.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 21, 2013 23:19 |  #20

I've had my tripod knocked back because it can 'be used as a blunt weapon'. Safer to just check it in..

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 22, 2013 12:15 |  #21

blogs wrote in post #15518406 (external link)
I've had my tripod knocked back because it can 'be used as a blunt weapon'. Safer to just check it in..

What are your options at that point? You have already checked your luggage at the check-in counter some time ago, and are now at the security checkpoint and they say "no tripod" ... what are you supposed to do with it then? You can't discard it like a bottle of water.

Some airlines (Allegiant here for me) have discovered a new revenue stream with carry-on luggage. Any "carry-on" that goes into the overhead bin incurs a $30 to $50 charge for each piece (cheaper if you pre-purchase rather than at check-in or at the gate). They have also tightened up the size allowance on the single "personal item" you are allowed to carry on to 7" thick and have sizing bins at check-in and at the gate to verify compliance. :(

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 22, 2013 12:23 |  #22

hfgarris wrote in post #15520263 (external link)
Some airlines (Allegiant here for me) have discovered a new revenue stream with carry-on luggage. Any "carry-on" that goes into the overhead bin incurs a $30 to $50 charge for each piece (cheaper if you pre-purchase rather than at check-in or at the gate). They have also tightened up the size allowance on the single "personal item" you are allowed to carry on to 7" thick and have sizing bins at check-in and at the gate to verify compliance. :(

Whoa. Haven't experienced that yet, but it's probably just around the corner for all the other airlines. Eventually the tickets will be free, and it will just be an accumulation of small fees.

Neil

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 22, 2013 12:47 |  #23

my only traveling trip is to tell the airline you need extra time boarding. they don't question it and you board before everyone else so there's always room for your bag. i had to do this a few weeks ago on my way to a destination wedding in hawaii, a total of 6 flights that were all full.

"i need extra time to board." "okay, you can head up now."

no more waiting around while the plane fills up hoping that there will be room left for your bag.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 23, 2013 09:23 |  #24

They never ask why..? Haha

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,845 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 23, 2013 11:22 |  #25

I ran into y first issue Monday with US Airways. Flight attendant said my bag wouldn't fit and I had to gate check it. I told her it would fit under the seat as that's how it flew out to where I was. She informed me that I could gate check it or not board the flight and she wasn't concerned with how it got out there.

So I gate checked it, stood on the loading platform to watch them load it and then got on the plane. When we landed, I watched them unload it and immediately checked it to make sure nothing was broken.

All ended well but I wasn't exactly comfortable doing it.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 23, 2013 11:45 |  #26

v35skyline wrote in post #15523907 (external link)
They never ask why..? Haha

I guess legally they can't? I had one dude give me the stink eye but he sent me up anyways.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,789 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 23, 2013 13:09 |  #27

jwm9289 wrote in post #15513382 (external link)
Hope this is the right place.

I'm flying to NY City, can i carry my camera bag on the plane?

Any Issues with

4-5 Lenses
Tripod
Etc....

What should i expect?

i've had lots of problems mate.

most of teh time they always weigh my gear and of course its overweight as i also sometimes bring my laptop.

what i do now is put the camera attached with the heaviest lens i owe around my kneck and let them weigh my bag taht should be 2kg lighter. every little helps

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 23, 2013 14:13 |  #28

hfgarris wrote in post #15520263 (external link)

Years ago, the checked luggage was free, but there was a fee for an excessive number of carryons.

Then, more recently, some airline bozo got it backwards, and they started charging for checked luggage, thereby encouraging folks to lug all of their bags as carry on!
It sounds like the pendulum is swinging back toward the carryons for a fee, but also checked luggage carries a fee, too.

I presume that since they now charge for meals (except international flights), the airlines will start charging an entry fee for the onboard toilets and a fee on the toilet paper dispensers, for the fuel consumed as waste carriage.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 23, 2013 14:15 |  #29

huntersdad wrote in post #15524355 (external link)
I ran into y first issue Monday with US Airways. Flight attendant said my bag wouldn't fit and I had to gate check it. I told her it would fit under the seat as that's how it flew out to where I was. She informed me that I could gate check it or not board the flight and she wasn't concerned with how it got out there.

So I gate checked it, stood on the loading platform to watch them load it and then got on the plane. When we landed, I watched them unload it and immediately checked it to make sure nothing was broken.

All ended well but I wasn't exactly comfortable doing it.

As much as I like US Airways since I use them a lot (Chairman status) they are kind of so-so when it comes to service.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 24, 2013 13:38 as a reply to  @ RHChan84's post |  #30

In case flying crew would like for you to register your camera bag. Remind them that it's quite heavy but it's certainly pricely. 10000$ of photo material can afraid them to pay in case of problem...

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

sponsored links

5,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Airlines of Flying with a Camera Bag.........
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.