Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 24 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 05:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Free software users? (and hardware)

marsaz
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2013 05:51 |  #1

Hi guys,
recently i have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my PC and found it quite nice. It's light and i think it runs faster than Windows 7 64bit on my machine. I have an old desktop with E7200 CPU, and 4GB of
RAM (motherboard limit). I was unsure what i was going to do with my photos though. I shoot only raw so i was concerned.But since I installed RawTherapee 4 I'm very surprised at how good the thing
is especially when you consider that it comes free. Same goes for Gimp 2.8. It's not Photoshop but it really is good for most things you'd ever want to do. I'm quite eager to try out the workflow with
these tools after doing a photoshoot with lots of shots.

Any of you guys using ONLY free software for your photo processing needs? What's your experience with it so far?

One of the reasons I decided to try Ubuntu is I'm looking for a new PC at the moment and when I do get it I want to set it up properly from day one and commit to operating system long term. I was also curious.
Since Microsoft and Adobe products do cost money the thought of not spending it anymore or using it to squeeze extra performance out of your machine is quite tempting.

Also what would you rather get a better CPU or more RAM/Storage when upgrading your computer for photo editing?
I was thinking about mid of the line i5 processor like 3470 and 16GB of RAM.

Any feedback appreciated! :)

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

sponsored links
silvrr
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 24, 2013 08:57 |  #2

marsaz wrote in post #15527378 (external link)
Also what would you rather get a better CPU or more RAM/Storage when upgrading your computer for photo editing?
I was thinking about mid of the line i5 processor like 3470 and 16GB of RAM.

Any feedback appreciated! :)

Take a look at something like this for CPU choice:
http://www.tomshardwar​e.com …e-comparison,3370-13.html (external link)

Your return on the extra $$ is diminishing quickly as you go up the processor food chain. Depends on your workflow if its worth it for the faster CPUs. Lots of daily batch editing I would say worth it. If you always work on a single image probably not. .

As for RAM, open a monitor while you work for awhile and see how much you really use. I rarely go over 4GB and haven't peaked over 8GB with panoramic work. Some people will say they regularly go over 8GB. This is also assuming your allowing your programs to have access to all your memory so make sure that is set up correctly.

If your not using alot of RAM I would save that cost and pick up a SSD. IMO that will be the single biggest thing that will give you a better experience. I keep my programs and OS on a 64GB SSD with only about 60% used and everything else goes on a spinning disk.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2013 15:00 |  #3

silvrr wrote in post #15527789 (external link)
Take a look at something like this for CPU choice:
http://www.tomshardwar​e.com …e-comparison,3370-13.html (external link)

Your return on the extra $$ is diminishing quickly as you go up the processor food chain. Depends on your workflow if its worth it for the faster CPUs. Lots of daily batch editing I would say worth it. If you always work on a single image probably not. .

As for RAM, open a monitor while you work for awhile and see how much you really use. I rarely go over 4GB and haven't peaked over 8GB with panoramic work. Some people will say they regularly go over 8GB. This is also assuming your allowing your programs to have access to all your memory so make sure that is set up correctly.

If your not using alot of RAM I would save that cost and pick up a SSD. IMO that will be the single biggest thing that will give you a better experience. I keep my programs and OS on a 64GB SSD with only about 60% used and everything else goes on a spinning disk.

Very good advice on opening a monitor. Wondering how i did not come up with that myself :) I guess it'll tell me more where i should go with my upgrades. Thanks!

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 24, 2013 15:03 |  #4

I really liked ubuntu, but I love LR too much that I had to run windows as my main.

I wish adobe would add linux support to it.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

cedm
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 24, 2013 21:33 |  #5

marsaz wrote in post #15527378 (external link)
Any of you guys using ONLY free software for your photo processing needs? What's your experience with it so far?

Hi Marsaz,

Have a look at this thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=526570

I have listed out some of the best linux applications for photography work flow. This should give you a head up.

Personally, I use Rapid Photo Downloader, Darktable & Gimp as my workflow.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

marsaz
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 30, 2013 14:20 as a reply to  @ cedm's post |  #6

Hey cedm,
great list, thanks!

So I've taken some time and did some work with Linux and I must say working with Windows suited me better. I hope I'm not being too subjective just because I'm so used to my workflow with DPP and Photoshop. It seems DPP handles noise and color fringing better than Rawtherapee or Darktable. Also my CPU is more stressed and more slow while working on Linux 64bit compared to Win 7 64bit. I mean Ubuntu runs faster overall but when it comes to photo processing Windows has the edge. Much of this might be down to user error since I'm very new to not using Windows so I'm still thinking about pros and cons but I really want to have my DPP! While GIMP is totally fine I can't do it with other raw processors. Not yet at least. :confused:

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

sponsored links

1,054 views & 0 likes for this thread
Free software users? (and hardware)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.