Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 02:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AI Focus question

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 24, 2013 02:08 |  #1

I have been using AI focus for almost a year now when shooting sports photography (field hockey) and after all this time I have a basic question that I need an answer to. I shoot a 7D and a 5DmkIII with a 300m 2.8IS. Shutter speeds are always at least 1/800 and more usually 1/1000. Aperture when indoors is 2.8 but narrower when outdoors. I use a monopod.

My keeper rate is not very high because I do not always get pin sharp images that I am seeking.

The question is this. With AI servo is it still better to keep the camera still when taking shots rather than move it as you follow the play? If the shutter speed is 1/1000 I would not have thought that camera movement would have any impact on sharpness - but I would like that confirming.

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 24, 2013 03:37 |  #2

Plumtreelad wrote in post #15527117 (external link)
I have been using AI focus for almost a year now when shooting sports photography (field hockey) and after all this time I have a basic question that I need an answer to. I shoot a 7D and a 5DmkIII with a 300m 2.8IS. Shutter speeds are always at least 1/800 and more usually 1/1000. Aperture when indoors is 2.8 but narrower when outdoors. I use a monopod.

My keeper rate is not very high because I do not always get pin sharp images that I am seeking.

The question is this. With AI servo is it still better to keep the camera still when taking shots rather than move it as you follow the play? If the shutter speed is 1/1000 I would not have thought that camera movement would have any impact on sharpness - but I would like that confirming.

Images from an outdoor sport that resembles field hockey.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Focal Length: 110.0mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.0003 s (1/3200)
ISO equiv: 800
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focal Length: 130.0mm
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO equiv: 1250

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focal Length: 140.0mm
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO equiv: 1600

One solution is not aperture or camera movement or focus mode, it's shutter speed. The quicker the action and the greater the need to stop motion, the faster the shutter speed will need to be. For some cameras, which often have a 1/4000 minimum. it may take the fastest shutter speed available.

If a sport's action moves, then the camera must move to track that motion. Accurate and decisive tracking can minimize motion blur. However, sometimes that blur can not be eliminated. It's part of action photography. That's one reason to expose several frames in sequence for each play, to improve the chances of getting one useful frame in a dynamic and uncontrollable situation.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2013 03:37 |  #3

AI focus or AI servo? AI focus is that mode which automatically switches between One Shot and AI Servo automatically... I don't really use it, because if I want tracking I just set the camera to plain AI Servo and be done with it, it's accurate enough for single-shot purposes if the subject isn't moving, so I don't use other modes as much.

Obviously you should always follow the vector of the action as you shoot regardless, you can get away with lower acceptable shutter speeds, and if you're good enough, you can get some directional blur in the shot for effect. Personally I'm not a huge fan of freezing action with very high shutter speeds. YMMV.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 24, 2013 04:45 |  #4

Your shutter speed should be high enough. Spend some time shooting in AI Servo, keeping your shutter button pressed half-way, and see how your "keeper rate" goes.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 24, 2013 05:36 |  #5

IMO, servo works best with back-button focus, with the AF-ON button working the focus. This allows you to continually focus, whether or not you're ready to take a shot or burst, half-depressing the shutter isn't always comfortable. Just saying.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

PhotosGuy
75,829 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 24, 2013 09:28 |  #6

tonylong wrote in post #15527282 (external link)
Your shutter speed should be high enough. Spend some time shooting in AI Servo, keeping your shutter button pressed half-way, and see how your "keeper rate" goes.

I agree. I can't remember how long it's been since I last used AI Focus.

The question is this. With AI servo is it still better to keep the camera still when taking shots rather than move it as you follow the play?

NO! This is what AI Servo is made for!

If the shutter speed is 1/1000 I would not have thought that camera movement would have any impact on sharpness - but I would like that confirming.

There will be some impact on sharpness. It's just so small that you don't see it at 1/1000 sec. To some degree, this is what's happening as the shutter moves across the frame: "Pre-Cruise" at 1/15 seconds - 7/28/12

And I agree with Kolor-Pikker about not freezing everything in the frame. (Obviously!) ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 24, 2013 17:07 |  #7

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #15527208 (external link)
Personally I'm not a huge fan of freezing action with very high shutter speeds. YMMV.

But you would still want the main subject to be in sharp focus or am I expecting too much from a fast moving sport. Many of the sports images I see are very crisp and to me that suggests they are using fast shutter speeds that do freeze the action. So the question is "to freeze or not to freeze" and I suspect that there is no right or wrong answer.

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 24, 2013 18:40 as a reply to  @ Plumtreelad's post |  #8

"to freeze or not to freeze"

Cranking up the shutter speed is a better way to get the entire scene crisp and is realively easy, while on the other hand, panning is more artistically correct and is waay more difficult to achieve. ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links

756 views & 0 likes for this thread
AI Focus question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.