Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jan 2013 (Friday) 01:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Deciding on a DSLR

Mackenzie ­ White
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 25, 2013 01:21 |  #1

Hello all!! New to the forum

I'm as new as it gets with photography so please bare with me. I'm ready to purchase my first DSLR and there are so many to choose from. A friend of mine has the 7D which i have used a handful of times and i was blown away at the quality of it just in auto mode, But here is my dilemma. I've had people tell me that is way too much camera for me and not knowing much about DSLRs and photography that i should start with something less expensive like a 60d and spend a little money on lenses. Would the 60d be a better choice for someone just starting out?? I went to my local camera store just to hold the 60d and see what it felt like and it did feel good in my hands, but not as good as the 7D.. Any help i can get from anyone would be great!! Thank you for your time.

sponsored links
CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 25, 2013 01:25 |  #2

There is a certain amount of things you'd have to learn with the 7D over the 60D (AF system, micro focus adjust - if you use it, etc), but they are things that you'd learn if you put in the time, plus your friend can teach you some.

With that said, if you can afford the 7D plus some quality glass, I don't see why not just go with the 7D. You've used the 7D, so I'm sure a part of you will want the 7D even after getting a 60D.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,352 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 25, 2013 01:29 |  #3

Welcome to POTN Mackenzie.:)

7D is a lot of camera, but the 60D is a great camera too and a little easier to learn.

In the end only you can really decide what to get, but I would advise you to get the one you REALLY want...Good luck!

Mark

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 25, 2013 02:04 |  #4

If you need to save, go T4i.
If you need the real deal, 5D Mk II.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,702 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 25, 2013 03:06 |  #5

This largely depends on your budget and what type of photography interests you. I would go with a cheap kit first, like a Rebel and then see what interests you, from there you can move on to bigger and better equipment. Or, if you'd rather go for the big guns right away, find a local camera shop and rent a camera and get shooting. Lots of people seem to disagree with me on that on this forum based on the last thread I posted in, but I think it makes sense to learn what you want/need out of a camera before dropping lots of money on it.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

wisdom2thewise
127 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 25, 2013 04:21 |  #6

Hi there Mackenzie.
I brought my first dslr camera last week (6d) and was in the same boat like you three weeks ago. Knew nothing about photography, until i started reading this website religiously http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ (external link)

Then i stumbled across this website and read this thread from start to finish https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1252637

In the end, i didn't want to buy a crop body + glass, then have to upgrade again and repeat the same exercise, in order to sustain my best affordable matched combinations.

I say aim hi.

Stephen.

Sold my first DSLR & lens = 6D (24-105L) & (40)
Now what prime should i get with the 7d mark ii?...

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 25, 2013 04:36 |  #7

Don't worry about a dslr being to difficult. They all basically work the same. The 7d has some advanced complex focus options but you can use the simpler set up also. As said the 60d is also a nice camera with similar image quality. Only you will know if the extra money is worth the step up from the 60d or even 650d to the 7d. Try get good lenses whatever camera you decide. These will usually make the big difference in how good a photo looks

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 25, 2013 04:40 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Using a DSLR does not require a Ph.D. in digital electronics or optics. Decide how dedicated you are to this hobby, then decide how much you want to spend. Learning to operate the 1DX is no more complicated than learning to drive a car. Most people seem to handle that well enough. The more you spend on your camera, the more you get. Not in terms of image quality so much as options and settings. Sure a 1DX can do things a T4i can't even think about. Both are fine cameras in the hands of a skilled operator. Pick what you want, then learn how to use it.

Gear List

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 25, 2013 05:09 |  #9

Mackenzie White wrote in post #15531165 (external link)
I went to my local camera store just to hold the 60d and see what it felt like and it did feel good in my hands, but not as good as the 7D.

Hi Mackenzie. I think you may have answered your own question here.

Plenty of great advice above and I would add just one personal thought. Full frame can only be considered an upgrade if it fulfils an additional need or provides a real terms improvement for you. Today's crop sensor bodies are amazingly capable and any of the current lineup will do all you need and more. So, as you observed, it comes down to ergonomics and feel. Buy what you need now and don't worry too much about the future - it'll take care of itself.

Money spent on good glass is a true investment however.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 25, 2013 05:38 |  #10

There is no such thing as 'too much camera'. The 7D is not harder to use than the 60D.

The 7D is however more expensive, and when you buy a dSLR you are buying a lot more than a camera.

You should start by thinking about just what kinds of photography are most interesting to you (casual events, portraits, macro, still life, lanscapes, indoor sports, field sports, wildlife etc). Different subjects call for different gear. From there you should develop and idea of what lenses you will need (and which ones you will want, which might be different from need). As well as other accossories.

It's not unusual to spend more on lenses than cameras.

And do not forget, most photographers really, really need to have a Speedlight flash that they can swivel and tilt. Too many beginners skip this. You may also want a tripod for some interests (macro, still life and landscapes in particular).

Once you have an idea of the stuff you need, you will know if the 7D is a better fit to the budget or something cheaper.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,036 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 25, 2013 06:31 |  #11

Mackenzie, one thing you should ask yourself is just how often will you use the camera. Like JeffreyG said immediately prior, if you will be the "occasional" photographer, i. e., using the camera for family occasions, the occasional family trip and vacation etc. than you should seriously consider the 60D or the more recent T4i. If you are likely to get seriously into photography then yes the 7D or 5d series should be a serious consideration. What is serious? I carry my DSLR with me virtually every day looking for photo ops. Probably too serious now that I think about it! More importantly is to go to a store and pick up all of what you are considering and judge each for "feel".

Let us know if you live in the States. Canon has a nice program called the Canon Loyalty Program that will enable you to get most of what you are considering at very attractice prices. You do need to "trade in" a Canon product but it can be working or non-working, even an ancient film camera. I saw a Canon 35mm film at a Goodwill Industries for $5 a few weeks ago - something like that would work and get you a discount on a Canon refurb of about 20%.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,597 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 25, 2013 06:34 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #12

If you like how camera feels and have no issues with learning take what you like.
7D is best deal for sports and birds. But to benefit from DSLR like this you need lens. Not just any lens but very good lens. And not only one. Plus flash light. So, your total budget just to start with DSLR like 7D is going to be at list twice more as camera costs.
I recommend to check Olympus OM-D and FujiFilm X series cameras too. Very nice cameras, good in auto mode, good pictures and more economical if you want to add glass and not into sports and birds.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 25, 2013 07:02 |  #13

Mackenzie White wrote in post #15531165 (external link)
Hello all!! New to the forum

I'm as new as it gets with photography so please bare with me. I'm ready to purchase my first DSLR and there are so many to choose from. A friend of mine has the 7D which i have used a handful of times and i was blown away at the quality of it just in auto mode, But here is my dilemma. I've had people tell me that is way too much camera for me and not knowing much about DSLRs and photography that i should start with something less expensive like a 60d and spend a little money on lenses. Would the 60d be a better choice for someone just starting out?? I went to my local camera store just to hold the 60d and see what it felt like and it did feel good in my hands, but not as good as the 7D.. Any help i can get from anyone would be great!! Thank you for your time.

if you like the 7D go ahead and get it however the 60D is cheaper and similar features leaving more room in the budget for lens (which can cost !)

BenjaminJ
110 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 25, 2013 07:11 |  #14

I have a canon T3i and it takes great pictures. Add post processing, and unless your taking fast action shots, I cant see a need for a more expensive body. In my opinion its better to sink the big money into lenses.

Canon T3i. Canon 18-55mm IS, Canon 75-300mm, Tamrom 10-24mm wide angle.

Michigan ­ Mike
24 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 25, 2013 08:41 |  #15

7D is a great camera, especially if your wanting to getting quick shots and long distance shots.
That said it can do it all very well. I have a T3i and want to upgrade to a 7D someday.

sponsored links

3,590 views & 0 likes for this thread
Deciding on a DSLR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.