Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 6D purchase process and thoughts . . .

jorkata
213 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 16, 2013 00:34 |  #31

irishman wrote in post #15483356 (external link)
Would I rather have the 5DIII? Yes, but not for the price premium.

So, it wasn't for the lower price, there's no reason to chose the 6D over the 5DIII.

Great insight. Thanks.

sponsored links
pawelx
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 16, 2013 05:12 |  #32

jorkata wrote in post #15494692 (external link)
So, it wasn't for the lower price, there's no reason to chose the 6D over the 5DIII.

Great insight. Thanks.

Well, I wasn't very constrained with my budget, yet I decided to return 5dmkIII after a week of using it and exchanged it for 6D.

Marginally better ISO performance (not that I've managed to confirm that - I'm only basing this statement on reviews that I have read), and most importantly, lower weight for travelling were my deciding factors.

Fewer AF points, more cumbersome menu, significantly reduced in-camera HDR (no option to shoot RAW; have to change 2 menu settings to get it to work, disabling RAW shooting first; lack of "vivid" etc settings); lower fps would be the reasons to choose 5dmk3 instead. Not enough to justify the heavier weight for me.

Canon 6D, 24-105 f/4 , 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500
Lenses previously owned: 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Tamron 18-270...

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 16, 2013 07:09 |  #33

Not sure why you can't use carriage return... did you try a different browser? I managed to do it just fine with an iPad. It really does make following a story a bit easier on the many readers.

irishman wrote in post #15483356 (external link)
More than anything he was telling me, the camera felt great in my hands!

This was the strangest comment in your "review".... the sales "guy" convinced you it felt good in your hands???

It was a fantastic size for me and had a nice, rubbery tactile feel when compared to the 5DII. I've never been a huge advocate of "hand feel", I can get used to anything with repeated use,

I've switched systems in the past and agree that button familiarity is a short term problem and after a few outings your preference will become what you are using.

And the buttons and dials were about as foreign to me as possible. It did not make my decision an easy one.

This contradicts your statement that you can get used to anything.

Your review comments and decision process seem to be totally dominated by "feel" which the sales guy appears to have influenced. You said you are a landscape photographer and primarily use a Nikon lens. I think I would have found a good deal on the D600 only, if it were me. There are other walk around lens choices than the ones in the bundle you mentioned.

But, it's your camara so glad you are happy.... Good luck with the new body and have fun shooting. I really like the integrated GPS and Wifi on the 6D and hope those features become the norm.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

DreamMaker23
604 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 16, 2013 07:48 |  #34

mark2009 wrote in post #15483386 (external link)
I couldn't get past the first sentence. Why do you upgrade every two years? You got all you could out of what you have?

punkerz123 wrote in post #15483492 (external link)
yeah... I'm not reading that mess. Good luck with the new purchase :)

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #15483890 (external link)
I read it. OP - it would be easier for other people if you just put in spaces between your paragraphs. Even more spaces between chunks of sentences. Either way, looks like you thought it all well out. Congrats on your purchase :)

LOL.....You peeps are funny! I read it! I took a coffee break & came back to it.
Good choice iRishman, I was debating on upgrading myself. But it was just my mind playing tricks on me!

Jon_Doh
876 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 16, 2013 08:46 |  #35

On paper the D600 looks like the better camera - more autofocus points, bigger viewfinder, better DxO score, etc. But in reality it has been plagued with dust and oil splatter issues which Nikon refuses to address. They put out a statement to suck it up because it went away after around 3,000 shots. Plus, their 70-300 consumer lens is much worse than Canon's 70-300 IS, which has one UD glass element in it. There is also an L version of the 70-300.

Deciding to buy a camera based on specs is not always the smart thing to do. You've got to shoot with them, process the files and research the known problems. Then make your decision.

I use a Kodak Brownie

ssmanak
439 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 16, 2013 09:27 |  #36

I had choice of going for d600 or 6d. I chose 24-105 over nikon kit lens. I feel OP made the right choice in the end.

ss.manak
EOS 6D ii, Canon 24-105f4 L ii, Canon 50 f1.4, Tamron 100-400 f4.5-6.3 VC, Canon 430EX ii, Canon 270 exii

irishman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 16, 2013 11:20 |  #37

jorkata wrote in post #15494692 (external link)

Great insight. Thanks.

I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic here. Some of us are value buyers and have to get the best bang for our dollar. If not, we would not be having this conversation. All of us would just go get a 1DX. By the way, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Good day, sir.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 16, 2013 21:37 |  #38

I cant read...but it looks like a eventual map to a 5D3!

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

Jon_Doh
876 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 23, 2013 15:24 |  #39

irishman wrote in post #15496130 (external link)
I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic here. Some of us are value buyers and have to get the best bang for our dollar. If not, we would not be having this conversation. All of us would just go get a 1DX. By the way, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Good day, sir.

Value buyers indeed. It's why I keeping hanging onto my 1d Mark III. Every time I get the itch to trade it in for a new camera I take it out and shoot with it and fall in love all over again.

The way cameras become obsolete and lose value I don't want to spend more than the 5D Mark III costs. Yet, when I look at the features I would lose like metering to a selected focal point and autofocusing beyond f5.6 with a teleconverter I decide the additional new features simply don't justify the cost. But that is the bottom line - features. And if the 6D gives you what you want and need for less money than the 5D, which has features you don't need or won't use, then that makes the 6D the better choice.

I use a Kodak Brownie

wisdom2thewise
127 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 25, 2013 05:19 |  #40

Thanking you Irishman for a great read.
I'm still yet to install the software onto my computer, let alone tackle the wifi app.

Sold my first DSLR & lens = 6D (24-105L) & (40)
Now what prime should i get with the 7d mark ii?...

sponsored links

7,132 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 6D purchase process and thoughts . . .
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.