Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 15:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you give up a T3i kit for a 6D?

Chiefy
Goldmember
2,439 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 25, 2013 21:20 |  #46

I would make the change in a heartbeat

1DX Mark II/5D Mk IV - 16-35L f4 IS - 135L - 24-70L f2.8 IS II - 70-200L f2.8 IS II- 100-400 IIL IS - 100 Macro f2.8L IS - 85mm 1.4 IS L - Σ 35 1.4 Art - Σ 50 1.4 Art - Σ 18-250 - TC 1.4 II - EF 12/25 II - Profoto A1 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/Really Right Stuff BH55
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 25, 2013 21:26 |  #47

Chiefy wrote in post #15534498 (external link)
I would make the change in a heartbeat

Word

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

stugman
65 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 25, 2013 22:28 |  #48

I have moved from a T1i. I get my 6D on Monday and feel confident it will be a good move.

6D | T1i | EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | 50-1.8II | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS

digitalis99
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 26, 2013 00:39 |  #49

I read many things of 6D focus being bad. Can someone translate into real life examples? Would it be good for dance shows, street photography and just people moving in general? I like to take candid pictures and not miss the shots.

ejackso1
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 26, 2013 00:49 |  #50

Personally, I would trade that T3i and those lenses for just a 6D with a 40mm 2.8. That's just me though. I only ever use the center point on my 60D, and a full-frame camera with a nice but cheap standard prime lens is all I really want or need for my style.

It depends on what you do. Obviously if you need reach, the T3i and that 70-200 is going to give you that, where as if you get the 6D you won't have a 70-200.

Canon 7D | EF-S 18-135 | EF-S 55-250
Panasonic GF1 | Panasonic 14mm f/2.5

Flickr (external link)

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 26, 2013 11:18 |  #51

digitalis99 wrote in post #15535009 (external link)
I read many things of 6D focus being bad. Can someone translate into real life examples? Would it be good for dance shows, street photography and just people moving in general? I like to take candid pictures and not miss the shots.

The 6D has an autofocus system similar to the T3i. The center point is much better in terms of sensitivity, but other than that it's basically the same system -- no cross-type sensors other than the center one.

This is perfectly fine for things that are not moving rapidly and where near-instantaneous decisions by the camera are not necessary (e.g. sports, moving wildlife, etc.)

However, it loses badly where that's the case.

When I went from a T3i to a 60D the difference was dramatic on moving subjects. The 7D is even better, but not as dramatic an upgrade as the T3i -> 60D was. The 7D's advantages over the 60D are a deeper buffer, faster fps rate and the ability to track moving subjects during a burst.

If you don't shoot things that are moving rapidly then you'll probably not notice all that often.

I'm somewhat bummed they didn't go with a 60D-style AF system in the 6D. If it had all cross-point sensors, even if there were only nine, I'd buy one right now. But it doesn't.... and that's what's keeping me from doing it.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,372 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 26, 2013 12:21 |  #52

tickerguy wrote in post #15536158 (external link)
The 6D has an autofocus system similar to the T3i. The center point is much better in terms of sensitivity, but other than that it's basically the same system -- no cross-type sensors other than the center one.

This is perfectly fine for things that are not moving rapidly and where near-instantaneous decisions by the camera are not necessary (e.g. sports, moving wildlife, etc.)

However, it loses badly where that's the case.

When I went from a T3i to a 60D the difference was dramatic on moving subjects. The 7D is even better, but not as dramatic an upgrade as the T3i -> 60D was. The 7D's advantages over the 60D are a deeper buffer, faster fps rate and the ability to track moving subjects during a burst.

If you don't shoot things that are moving rapidly then you'll probably not notice all that often.

I'm somewhat bummed they didn't go with a 60D-style AF system in the 6D. If it had all cross-point sensors, even if there were only nine, I'd buy one right now. But it doesn't.... and that's what's keeping me from doing it.

This is great info. Thank you for posting.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

digitalis99
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 27, 2013 01:41 |  #53

Would it be possible to focus on the eyes for vertical & horizontal portraits without recomposing with 6D ? In good and low-light.

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 01, 2013 12:44 |  #54

The T3i was made for a 6-year-old child's hand to hold.

I bought a battery grip so my pinky had somewhere to sit when I held the camera to shoot a photo... Otherwise my pinky finger was off of the camera...

I think the 6D is a better fit just for that.

I went with a 5D II, though, :)

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

Muskett32
77 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 05, 2013 14:51 as a reply to  @ Simplistic's post |  #55

Just my .02...I'd do it too. Actually, I kinda just did. Currently own a t2i and ordered the 6D with the 24-105L kit. Can't wait to try it out. Should be a world of difference.

francis_a
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 05, 2013 15:05 |  #56

Congrats Muskett32. It a very nice change from the T3i to the 6D, from ergonomics to everything :D
I ended up selling the 70-200 non-IS that I got used and picked up the IS version so I kinda stretched it out a bit but am happy with the decision.

Though having only the center point as cross-type, for what I shoot, it works perfectly fine. But the huge bonus is that it can focus in very low lighting situations. The ISO performance is amazing.

You'll be happy with it. Enjoy

Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW | Crumpler 6MDH | Lumiquest Quik Bounce 80/20

Muskett32
77 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 05, 2013 19:19 |  #57

francis_a wrote in post #15575962 (external link)
Congrats Muskett32. It a very nice change from the T3i to the 6D, from ergonomics to everything :D
I ended up selling the 70-200 non-IS that I got used and picked up the IS version so I kinda stretched it out a bit but am happy with the decision.

Though having only the center point as cross-type, for what I shoot, it works perfectly fine. But the huge bonus is that it can focus in very low lighting situations. The ISO performance is amazing.

You'll be happy with it. Enjoy

Thanks Francis. It's set to arrive tomorrow and the hours cannot fly by fast enough. I'm not too concerned about the AF either. From what I've seen and read it will be worlds apart from what I currently have.

francis_a
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 05, 2013 20:24 |  #58

Hehehe I hear ya. I'm one of the lucky ones who have local shops who are awesome to deal with so I don't have the wait time.
I'm gonna have to return my kit though. Not because of the 6D but due to the 24-105 that has play when zooming out from the long end. Something just doesn't feel right for an L lens :D Shop said to take everything back and they'll give me a new kit.

Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW | Crumpler 6MDH | Lumiquest Quik Bounce 80/20

Muskett32
77 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 05, 2013 21:10 |  #59

That's a great thing to have nearby francis_a. Regarding the 70-200, I bought and returned the f4 non IS version as well. Found that at f4, IS is kinda crucial for lower light situations and at the full length of the lens. My buddy just go the f2.8 70-200 and although it is a brick (and costs more than my mortgage payment) it is pretty awesome.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 05, 2013 22:01 |  #60

^I'm about to make the same upgrade! :) I just realized that I should be getting a decent amount back this year from my taxes because I had filed the wrong number of dependents at my last job... should cover a nice "down payment" of sorts then I'll put the rest on my Best Buy credit card :) I can't wait!

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

8,128 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you give up a T3i kit for a 6D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.