Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 12 Oct 2012 (Friday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

show your SX50HS photos

JoeyH
75 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 23, 2013 06:58 |  #91

Gonna try to get some pics of birds in my backyard later today. My mom just bought a SX50HS and a cheap Nikon compact .. Some of these shots actually look pretty good.

EDIT: Well haven't really made any pictures during daylight so far! Have taken some indoor pictures at ISO 1600, 1/15th and F3.4.. Haven't seen the full res results though, but at least I have steady hands.. Camera seems very responsive though, quite easy to learn and the hotshoe for an external flash might help some people indoors.

I'm pretty much stating the obvious when saying that this camera is not meant for low light. Anyway, first time I actually know what I'm doing with a camera and went to full manual immediately. So many more options regarding autofocus etc. Automatic seems to be stuck on AF Tracking, not sure if it's possible to change this.

500PX (external link)
700D | 18-135 IS STM

sponsored links
satuman
52 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 26, 2013 01:01 |  #92

at full zoom p mode, hand held, IS on, SX50HS

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8416384800_3592478b87.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/12332789@N07/8​416384800/  (external link) moon2_250113 (external link) by c_shantanu (external link), on Flickr

JoeyH
75 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 27, 2013 08:23 as a reply to  @ satuman's post |  #93

Quite cloudy and dark outside.. Shot at around 600mm equivalent, 1/250th, ISO 800, F5.6 I think. (SOOC)

Shot this through a window by the way. Definitely not a great picture, but the current conditions make it a lot harder to get a nice shot.

Anyway, even at 1200mm, it's quite easy to keep the camera steady. Definitely going to shoot in sunny conditions next time, need higher shutter speeds.

2nd picture was one day earlier.. Kind of like how it turned out. I think I've got some really nice pictures of another bird, but I haven't checked those yet.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

500PX (external link)
700D | 18-135 IS STM

JoeyH
75 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 28, 2013 03:26 |  #94

Ok another picture. Did some very basic editing with standard windows software. I personally like the colours in this one, but that's mainly because of the slight processing. Seems like the current camera JPEG settings are relatively flat, but won't change that until the owner of the camera agrees :).

HOSTED PHOTO

500PX (external link)
700D | 18-135 IS STM

photocopy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2013 11:20 |  #95

many of one that come into the yard

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8111/8468487607_95a1e1e09a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/78115976@N04/8​468487607/  (external link)
back-yard-junco (external link) by photocopys photos (external link), on Flickr

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 14, 2013 22:16 |  #96

I'm afraid that's a classic example of why you need to turn off digital zoom. Looks a lot softer than the optics would provide.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

photocopy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 15, 2013 11:06 |  #97

So Jon am i reading that when you zoom in with the SX50HD the digital zoom needs to be off to get a sharper picture??

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 15, 2013 11:51 |  #98

Yep. All digital zoom does is try to split pixels up into more pixels. It's bad enough when you're at 2x or full 4x digital zoom where it makes each pixel into 4 or 16 smaller ones (modified by what the adjoining pixels started out as), but at the various in-between steps the camera may be trying to figure out what to do to split a pixel up into, say, 5 or 13, smaller ones, or to merge 2 or more pixels and split them up. If you need that extra reach, you're better off trying to achieve it by shooting RAW and resampling in post-processing where you can use a variety of algorithms to see which one works best for your given situation.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

photocopy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 15, 2013 12:06 |  #99

thanks for the info Jon :)

nwyman
Cream of the Crop
5,702 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 15, 2013 23:03 as a reply to  @ JoeyH's post |  #100

my camera came yesterday and all the interesting local birds disappeared. These were the only two guys interested in posing for a photoshoot today.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8241/8477072555_0c9d018673_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nancyw/84770725​55/  (external link)
resized vulture (external link) by ht1547 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8477029229_6c001e1e6f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nancyw/84770292​29/  (external link)
black headed vulture (external link) by ht1547 (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6D, SX50HS, Tamron 150-600
C&C welcome and invited

tawcat
433 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 16, 2013 07:28 |  #101

NWYMan: truly spectacular.

Yes, a picture really is worth a thousand words!
PowerShot ELPH 520 HS

photocopy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 16, 2013 10:00 |  #102

NWYMAN.. wow.. great shots!!

krejaton
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 19, 2013 03:05 |  #103

Jon wrote in post #15611678 (external link)
I'm afraid that's a classic example of why you need to turn off digital zoom. Looks a lot softer than the optics would provide.

Thanks for the encouragement, Jon. One of the first pictures I have ever taken with a non point and shoot camera and the first picture I ever posted here. Don't worry, there won't be a second. I didn't realize the self-important elitism going on here since the home page calls this group "The best and most friendly photo forum on the net!"

Funny stuff, indeed.

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,163 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 19, 2013 07:26 |  #104

krejaton wrote in post #15626457 (external link)
Thanks for the encouragement, Jon. One of the first pictures I have ever taken with a non point and shoot camera and the first picture I ever posted here. Don't worry, there won't be a second. I didn't realize the self-important elitism going on here since the home page calls this group "The best and most friendly photo forum on the net!"

Funny stuff, indeed.

Hey, he wasn't mean about it. Full of ourselves, are we? ;)

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

BruceAZ
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 21, 2013 02:58 |  #105

Cibola National Wildlife Refuge in southwest Arizona, USA on the east banks of the Colorado River.

Wintering Canada Geese in the north "Loafing Pond", February, 2013

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i864.photobucke​t.com …dforForum_zpse4​d01cde.jpg (external link)

Photo has no post processing other than resizing for posting to this thread.

Hand held, Mode-Program, Contrast +1, Sharpness +2, Shutter 1/1000, Av 5.0, Center Weighted, ISO 100(Auto), Actual Focal Length 19.6mm, IS was on (shoot only), White Bal-Auto, JPG

sponsored links

334,096 views & 128 likes for this thread
show your SX50HS photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.