Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 08:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Crumpler Million Dollar Homes (5MDH, 6MDH & 7MDH)

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 15, 2012 22:06 |  #46

Great post and this will surely become the crumpler hangout for a long time. Well done.

I'm a crumpler fan. I've owned and sold a 5mdh twice in a year. I own a 4mdh now, best bag for me to host one body and lens.

Since discovery of the timbuk2 bags, I have to ask, why is the crumpler lineup so friggin popular? It's a simple bag with no frills.

In the timbuk2 snoop messenger bags:

XS holds around the same as a 5mdh, however the snoop can hold a tablet or maps/papers in a dedicated sleeve. You can remove the camera insert out and use it as a messenger. The strap is better BC of the lock mechanism.

SMALL holds around the same as a 6mdh, however the snoop can hold a tablet or maps/papers in a dedicated sleeve. You can take the camera insert out and use it as a messenger. The strap is better BC of the lock mechanism. You also get tripod straps on the bottom of the snoop and several more interior pockets. And it has a waist strap, which is critical for this much weight.

Then there is the medium, which is obviously.... Well u get it.

Seems to me that the tumbuk2 is offering more benefits, versatility, while being slimmer and less boxy.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

sponsored links
randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,766 posts
Gallery: 347 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 15, 2012 22:28 |  #47

Thanks. I would actually like to update the pictures, but I no longer have multiple flashes. I could at least use my paper...

I haven't tried the Timbuk2's. They look interesting, but as I recall, they are more money than the Crumplers.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 15, 2012 22:33 |  #48

More money but you're getting two bags for the price of one expensive one.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 26, 2013 13:05 |  #49

Great reviews - I was on the fence for a very long time about the 5MDH with my 5D II. I purchased a Lowepro Bag, which was very nice, but just too big. Due to your review, I had the courage to return the Lowepro and order the Crumpler 5MDH. Absolutely love it, got the khaki with orange inside.

Thank you for taking the time to educate us all on these bag :-)

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 26, 2013 15:08 |  #50

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=4008139#p​ost4008139

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,766 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 28, 2013 17:24 |  #51

michgirl wrote in post #15536504 (external link)
Great reviews - I was on the fence for a very long time about the 5MDH with my 5D II. I purchased a Lowepro Bag, which was very nice, but just too big. Due to your review, I had the courage to return the Lowepro and order the Crumpler 5MDH. Absolutely love it, got the khaki with orange inside.

Thank you for taking the time to educate us all on these bag :-)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you found the post helpful!

Donate for Forum Costs

spielnicht
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 25, 2013 11:11 |  #52

Great review. With that said though, I've decided on the Timbuk2 The Snoop (Small) in place of the 6MDH. In general, I agree wholeheartedly with DJ R in that you get much more for your money with the Snoop over the MDH. I also like to carry my Nexus 7 with me, so having a place for it is pretty sweet in The Snoop.

But as for specifics, the main reasons I went with the Timbuk2 are:

Multipurpose
As stated above, I can use the bag to carry my camera gear or I can take out the camera insert (with my gear still in place and protected) and use the bag for other impromptu use (think vacation).

Full Closure
Both bags obviously have velcro and straps to snap the lid in place. However, you don't get a 100% sealed closure to protect the inside from falling out. I travel a lot, and with 2 toddlers running around, the last thing I need to worry about is stuff falling out of my camera bag (think security scanner and overheads in the plane). The difference here is that the Snoop's bag insert can be zipped up to secure the contents completely.

Tripod Ties
The older MDH bags don't have tripod ties at all. The newer 6/7 MDH do. However, the ties are on the lid which in my opinion is pretty stupid considering it renders opening the bag on the fly useless with a tripod hanging on there. I much prefer the botton attachments like with the Snoop where I don't need to worry about the tripod. Just as well, the newer MDH have thinner/cheaper inserts/dividers, so you get the tripod straps in place of better internal dividers/padding.

As for price, both are equivalent.
As for build quality, both are equivalent.

So it just comes down to preference and needs.

My Gear (for reference):
Canon 7D
Canon 28MM f/1.8 (mounted 99% of time)
Canon 28-135
Canon 430ex
Canon S100 (quick shots)
Chargers, adapters, etc...
...and my Nexus 7

MikeInHuntington
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 27, 2013 14:22 as a reply to  @ spielnicht's post |  #53

Just a note of thanks for an excellent and informative thread.

helped me a great deal in making a decision.

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,766 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 27, 2013 14:27 |  #54

Thanks for letting me know. Nice to hear the information in here was helpful.

Donate for Forum Costs

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,495 posts
Gallery: 483 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 25, 2013 07:30 |  #55

Great review, I have the 6MDH and the only thing that I have found that bothers me...the velcro is coming apart, and all of the little fibers of the velcro are starting to stick to the inside of the bag, they are everywhere.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,766 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 25, 2013 07:47 |  #56

Interesting. Honestly mine are not heavily used, so this is good information. Hopefully not a widespread problem.

Donate for Forum Costs

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,495 posts
Gallery: 483 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 25, 2013 07:50 |  #57

randy98mtu wrote in post #16062882 (external link)
Interesting. Honestly mine are not heavily used, so this is good information. Hopefully not a widespread problem.

I use mine a lot, it is my most used bag out of the collection I have, great, easy access...but those little fibers are driving me nuts...I think there is one stuck inside my brand new 17-40L...:cry:

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

17,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: Crumpler Million Dollar Homes (5MDH, 6MDH & 7MDH)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.