Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Jun 2005 (Wednesday) 16:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Everything you want to know about aftermarket batteries for Canon DSLR's

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 05, 2011 15:28 |  #601

pillainp wrote in post #13467062 (external link)
Is anyone here a user of the Opteka 2400mAh LP-E6 (external link) replacement batteries? If so have you been using them long enough that their capabilities can be compared to the OEM Canon LP-E6?

These batteries are supposed to take a charge with the Canon charger and report power status to the camera.

Asking because I am considering buying a spare battery for my 60D, and I can get this 2-pack (external link) of the Opteka's with charger for just over half the price of the original Canon ZLP-E6.

Unfortunately SterlingTek batteries seem to be unavailable here in India.

Hi i have 2 Opteka batteries used w/grippied 7D - work fine & come w/covers &. 1 year warranty. Only issue I've had is accuracy of battery power on camera isn't great - will often go from 100% to 90% after a couple of pics but they do last well - doubt they are really 2400 mHa but seem about equal to OEM

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

sponsored links
octanehammer
76 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 10, 2012 14:26 |  #602

Any thoughts regarding the Promaster brand batteries?

~Patrick~
Sony Cybershot DSC-H3
Canon EOS Rebel T1-i
EF S 18-55mm IS
EF S 55-250mm IS

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 10, 2012 23:09 |  #603

pillainp wrote in post #13467062 (external link)
Is anyone here a user of the Opteka 2400mAh LP-E6 (external link) replacement batteries? If so have you been using them long enough that their capabilities can be compared to the OEM Canon LP-E6?

These batteries are supposed to take a charge with the Canon charger and report power status to the camera.

Asking because I am considering buying a spare battery for my 60D, and I can get this 2-pack (external link) of the Opteka's with charger for just over half the price of the original Canon LP-E6.

Unfortunately SterlingTek batteries seem to be unavailable here in India.

Had 2 from amazon and sent them back in less than a week.
charge only took 10 min wich is an indication that something was wrong and after 10 -20 pics were dead.
Planning to buy sterlintek now
I had better result with the 7d replacement battery( works ok so far)

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2012 13:53 as a reply to  @ ernestoqr's post |  #604

I bought these Maximal Power LP-E6 from Amazon, and it works wonderfully. They report remaining power & shutter clicks accurately

http://www.amazon.com …ef=oh_o05_s00_i​00_details (external link)

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

ilguercio
204 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 04, 2012 18:33 as a reply to  @ post 766913 |  #605

I just noticed that my 2 Phottix batteries (clones of the famous BP-511A) are pretty much dead because they last about 3 minutes each while in video mode on a 50D (with ML) .
The genuine Canon batteries are perfect and last more than 40 minutes each so i'm guessing the chinese ones are a bit cooked.
I heard a lot about Sterlingtek but i don't know if it's worth to wait for them to be shipped from USA to Italy (where i live) .
So, i wanted an alternative seller in Europe. What do you guys recommend? Is it ok to charge, let's say, a 2000 mAh battery with the standard Canon charger?
A twin pack would be perfect.
Thanks in advance.

RustyHammer
685 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 08, 2012 19:44 |  #606

shankarhokie wrote in post #13714063 (external link)
I bought these Maximal Power LP-E6 from Amazon, and it works wonderfully. They report remaining power & shutter clicks accurately

http://www.amazon.com …ef=oh_o05_s00_i​00_details (external link)

I have had great results with these as well. I use them in my 60D and 7D (both in the grip and single camera options) without a hitch. I also have them for my T3i. Fully functional, long lasting and I have great confidence in them. 8 batteries total.

/Rusty

Gear List

pfjbaldwin
327 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 30, 2012 23:11 |  #607

RustyHammer wrote in post #14052922 (external link)
I have had great results with these as well. I use them in my 60D and 7D (both in the grip and single camera options) without a hitch. I also have them for my T3i. Fully functional, long lasting and I have great confidence in them. 8 batteries total.

/Rusty

I too have had excellent results with the Maximal from Amazon on my 7D's and 5D2. Have 3 Canon OEM and 4 Maximal and can't tell any difference in performance among them.

pfjohnsonphotography.c​om, pfjphoto.com, Baldwin, MD
CPS

kyo
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 02, 2012 12:57 |  #608

LP-E6 2800mAh

i need some batteries, and i found a LP-E6 2800mAh on ebay.

has anyone use these? any feed back?

facebook (external link)

pillainp
203 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 05, 2012 11:28 |  #609

Delija wrote in post #13499254 (external link)
Hi i have 2 Opteka batteries used w/grippied 7D - work fine & come w/covers &. 1 year warranty. Only issue I've had is accuracy of battery power on camera isn't great - will often go from 100% to 90% after a couple of pics but they do last well - doubt they are really 2400 mHa but seem about equal to OEM

Well, got the batteries and have been using them in my Meike battery grip.

My pattern of use is generally long periods of inactivity followed by short bursts of activity. I must say I am pretty happy with these batteries so far. They seem to retain most of their charge even after a couple months inactivity in the grip with the camera in standby/sleep.

For the price, then, I think they are well worth it.

Only problem I have is that they both have the same serial number, so I can only register one.

However, the camera correctly displays power level and shots remaining individually for each Opteka battery in the grip.

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sneakerpimp
665 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 26, 2012 22:36 as a reply to  @ pillainp's post |  #610

Power2000

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

to test capacity i discharged the battery completely then recharged it twice. i got 110-120 shots, roughly half an OEM battery... not too shabby considering it was one-fifth the cost.

Canon EOS M | G7 X | S90

EmilyLipscomb
103 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 25, 2013 16:30 |  #611

Heard too many bad stories about third party batteries :/

Emily
5D2 gripped | 50 1.4 | 40 2.8 | 430exii
Dreaming of L glass someday... :)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 25, 2013 19:01 |  #612

EmilyLipscomb wrote in post #15533540 (external link)
Heard too many bad stories about third party batteries :/

That's not really a useful contribution. If you've had a bad experience, or someone you know has had a bad experience, that would be useful information.

I've had about 25 Sterlingtek batteries over the years, and through my recommendation have had many people buy them. There was one dud out of all of them, the rest work as well as OEM batteries.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 27, 2013 11:30 |  #613

One thing to be aware of with third-party batteries is that the factory Canon charger will OFTEN claim they are "full" and stop charging them early. This, over time, leads to SEVERELY diminished capacity when there's nothing wrong with the battery -- it's just not being charged all the way and over time the accumulated deficit adds up!

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

Blackey ­ Cole
480 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 01, 2013 17:20 |  #614

Links for the 7d batteries are inop.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Gear List

ferreirj
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 12, 2013 17:42 |  #615

Any links for canon 6d compatible batteries (showing status in camera)?
thanks

sponsored links

397,063 views & 5 likes for this thread
Everything you want to know about aftermarket batteries for Canon DSLR's
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.