Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 21 Jan 2013 (Monday) 05:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Moon Shot

mmahmood
167 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 21, 2013 05:36 |  #1

Here is my first attempt to shoot moon with EF-S 18-135mm,
Image at 135mm center cropped
C&C welcome

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 21, 2013 09:51 |  #2

very nice Muhammad, and welcome to POTN

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 21, 2013 11:46 |  #3

rick_reno wrote in post #15515333 (external link)
very nice Muhammad, and welcome to POTN

thank you :)

4100xpb
66 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 21, 2013 12:46 |  #4

Been attempting some moon shots, here is the best so far. Centre crop, 60D, EF 75-300 @ 300, f/9, 1/20 sec, ISO 200.

HOSTED PHOTO

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 24, 2013 00:59 |  #5

@4100
thats a lovely shot, 75-300mm is in my wish list too but first a flash gun, and why moon looks so blueish?

carrottspc
148 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 27, 2013 10:03 |  #6

mmahmood wrote in post #15514762 (external link)
Here is my first attempt to shoot moon with EF-S 18-135mm,
Image at 135mm center cropped
C&C welcome

Muhammad, here's a shot I took the same night you did (of course from the opposite side of the world), using the same lens at 135mm.

IMAGE: http://www.scottcarrphoto.com/img/s8/v76/p1400859812-4.jpg

| Nikon D7100, D7000 | Olympus E-M5 | Olympus E-PM1 | Samsung NX2000 | Canon D10 |
http://www.scottcarrph​oto.com (external link)

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 28, 2013 05:38 |  #7

carrottspc wrote in post #15539479 (external link)
Muhammad, here's a shot I took the same night you did (of course from the opposite side of the world), using the same lens at 135mm.

thats interesting, couple of days back also shot full moon, there was very thin layer of clouds to shoot through and it created very interesting effect, will post those shots soon

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 28, 2013 09:20 |  #8

@carrottspc
first the full moon and then the ring of clouds where moonlight hits coulds, ring was quite visible by naked eye and i tried with little long exposure and got it.

HOSTED PHOTO

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 28, 2013 09:23 |  #9

ring of clouds

HOSTED PHOTO

Monique10
180 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 28, 2013 11:18 |  #10

This is an image I took last night with my 5D Mk II attached to an ES 127 mm f 7.5. I used live view to focus at 5x and 10x but this is the sharpest I could get. I've seen amazingly sharp full moon photos and wonder why this isn't one of them. I used my TC 80N3 to trigger and the image is nowhere as good as what I could view through an eyepiece on the telescope. I am new to this and would appreciate help too.

http://www.flickr.com …8423030566/in/p​hotostream (external link)

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 28, 2013 11:59 |  #11

Monique10 wrote in post #15543632 (external link)
This is an image I took last night with my 5D Mk II attached to an ES 127 mm f 7.5. I used live view to focus at 5x and 10x but this is the sharpest I could get. I've seen amazingly sharp full moon photos and wonder why this isn't one of them. I used my TC 80N3 to trigger and the image is nowhere as good as what I could view through an eyepiece on the telescope. I am new to this and would appreciate help too.

http://www.flickr.com …8423030566/in/p​hotostream (external link)

me too new this camera stuff, let more experienced members answer this one but here is one thing that popped into my mind, when using live view to focus, the contrast based focusing system is used and thru the view finder phase detect focusing is performed by cam, that might be the difference for final outcome, we know contrast based focusing is slower, is it less effective too ???

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,419 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 28, 2013 13:43 |  #12

Monique10, I think that you're pretty close to having it spot on. You can see some atmospheric rippling along the right and bottom edges. You can improve on that by waiting until the moon is a bit higher and the air has cooled a bit more. Otherwise, I think that a bit of contrast enhancement etc would really bring that image out.
I don't think that it's possible to have a moon photo look as good as the view you get with the Mk1 eyeball. At least, I've never seen one.

mmahmood, we've got those pesky clouds here too. The ring (lunar halo) is from high altitude ice crystals. Contrast focusing has the potential to be the better method but it isn't always so. The moon is a low contrast object so it has trouble with it. The problem is that autofocus lenses are really hard to manually focus so you just have to try both and see which gives you the best result. If you are manually focusing, try focusing on Jupiter or a bright star and then moving over to the moon. It's easier to figure out when the dot is at its smallest rather than going from shapes on the moon.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

sponsored links

2,775 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Moon Shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.