Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jan 2013 (Monday) 12:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So I am switching to the Fuji X-E1

guitarjeff
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 28, 2013 12:32 |  #1

Thought about it and thought about it, was talked out of it, but I just can't help wanting a lighter and smaller camera that I can carry with me pretty much everywhere.

The thing that made my final decision is that I simply don't shoot fast moving subjects like kids, I just do people stuff and I just feel so invasive when carrying around my 5D2, even with a 50mm 1.8 on it.

I put my 5D2 in the sale section here and even lowered the price to 1,300 and even though I will lose a lot of money on it as I paid 1,900 5 months ago, isn't it more important to use something that fits your photography better? Yes, i do fear i will regret it, but I can also grab a rebel body at a later time, or a 40D or something if I end up regretting my decision.

Would love to hear from anyone folks who definitely regretted going for a smaller setup like a mirrorless. Can you tell me why you regretted and what you have done about it?

sponsored links
Ispriluc
200 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 28, 2013 12:58 |  #2

Don`t sell the 5d yet. Use both of them for a little while and then you will be sure of what you want. You might find that you miss the 5d but it will be too late if you sell it now. However, if you decide you`re better with the Fuji, you can sell the 5d right away.

600d + 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 18-250/ Nissin Di600/ G1X/ Ixus 220/ Raynox 150

guitarjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 28, 2013 13:57 as a reply to  @ Ispriluc's post |  #3

Hi. I can't get the Fuji until I sell the 5D2. Wish i could afford both.

Rally ­ Man
199 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 28, 2013 14:35 |  #4

What about renting the X-E1 for a few days? Just to make sure.

canon | sigma | thinktank | sandisk | lexar | radiopopper | rrs | b+w | eneloop | creative light | westcott | upstrap

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 28, 2013 15:01 |  #5

It's interesting times, and Fuji is making some cool stuff.. For my money though, I'll wait at least 2-3 more major release cycles for considering it.. right now they're producing good images, but still pretty far behind in some important areas (like AF).

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 28, 2013 15:13 |  #6

BrandonSi wrote in post #15544423 (external link)
It's interesting times, and Fuji is making some cool stuff.. For my money though, I'll wait at least 2-3 more major release cycles for considering it.. right now they're producing good images, but still pretty far behind in some important areas (like AF).

It is interesting times.

I, though am one who will wait a few years or more. I can still handle the weight and do not mind carrying around my stuff.
By the time I may be ready to move, the products will be that much better.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2013 16:10 as a reply to  @ pbelarge's post |  #7

There is the Sony RX1.

Which is one awefuly slick camera.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

guitarjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 28, 2013 17:52 as a reply to  @ pyrojim's post |  #8

Wish I could afford the Sony, but I have yet to even sell my 5D2 for 1,300 and I saw others go for the same price recently. I'm sure it will sell but I won't be able to add anything with it for a better camera than the Fuji. Never have liked renting as I hate to be responsible for something that doesn't belong to me, and the nearest rental is about 35 miles away. Besides, I've done a lot of reading and the Fuji seems like it would be perfect for me.

I will then sell my 70-200 F4L and buy a 40D or something later.

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 28, 2013 18:00 |  #9

If I was in your shoes I would probably buy an X100S instead.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

guitarjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 28, 2013 19:19 |  #10

mclaren777 wrote in post #15545187 (external link)
If I was in your shoes I would probably buy an X100S instead.

I just can't deal with the fixed lens.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 28, 2013 20:22 |  #11

I went with an E-P1 because I wanted something small and light I could carry everywhere. It didn't work out because mirrorless cameras are still too big to carry everywhere. With a mirrorless you still need to carry a bag. If you're carrying a bag, might as well carry a DSLR. If you truly want a camera to carry everywhere, get the nokia 808 pureview, or a small P&S e.g. the Canon s110.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

JAbberwocky
373 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 29, 2013 00:40 |  #12

You really should try it first, the rangefinder experience isnt to everyone's liking.

Photography is not defined by what gear you own.

Yapo
142 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 29, 2013 01:53 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #13

For awhile now i've been thinking of picking up the X-E1 with the 35mm f/1.4 for similar reasons to you (although i'll be keeping my 5Dii for the better low light AF and full frameness!)

I tend to shoot a fair bit in low light/indoors so I currently carry around a 5dii as well with either a EF 50 1.4 or Rokinon 35 1.4 although i've been finding it a bit cumbersome and at times a bit hesitant to pull out for a quick shot as it can draw too much attention depending on the location/people around.

Before i got the 5dii i gave m4/3(E-PL2 with Nokton 25mm f/0.95) a try although even with the f/0.95, i wasn't happy with the ISO800+ performance which led me to getting the 5dii.

As for the X-E1, it's lighter, smaller, stealthier/less invasive(especially at restaurants, cafes, street etc.) while keeping comparable high ISO performance and image quality as the 5Dii.

That being said the fuji body and lens/es are still a little pricey and the AF and EVF in low light apparently aren't quite there yet so i've been waiting for the price it drop a bit more before placing the order.

m4/3: Olympus E-PL2 | Nokton 25 f/0.95
Film: Voigtlander Bessa R3M | Nokton 40 f/1.4 SC
DSLR: Canon 5D MKII | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 85 f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | Rokinon 35 f/1.4 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 70-200 f/4L IS | 430EX II

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 29, 2013 02:10 |  #14

Sirrith wrote:
=Sirrith;15545907 If you truly want a camera to carry everywhere, get the nokia 808 pureview, or a small P&S e.g. the Canon s110.

This. Used to use a pen ep1 and i wanst all that happy with it as my EDC as it was still fairly large. I eventually got an lx5 which i think is more than enough for everyday pictures.

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 29, 2013 04:21 as a reply to  @ treck_dialect's post |  #15

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
โˆž 500px (external link)
โ—โ— flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,395 views & 0 likes for this thread
So I am switching to the Fuji X-E1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.