Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jan 2013 (Monday) 03:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightsphere: Gary Fong VS cheap

Nick5
Goldmember
3,146 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 29, 2013 07:39 |  #16

Wilt wrote in post #15545315 (external link)
I decided to illustrate better use of my money for valuable photographic equipment. So I undertook this project about 20 minutes ago. I started with this:

QUOTED IMAGE

and then, after about 10 sec. to trace my flashhead outline onto the soft plastic lid with an indelible marker, I used a sharp paring knife from the kitchen to cut out a perfect fit opening for the flashhead, requiring another 20 sec. or so of effort. I fit the lid on the flashhead, then put the plastic container bottom onto the mounted lid. It is a pretty good fit, and I don't really think it would normally fall off like the Lightsphere has been stated to do by owners on POTN, as mine is quite light in weight. And so I ended up with this mounted flash diffuser.

QUOTED IMAGE

Now for a test with this product. Here I am in a photo taken without the modifier...

QUOTED IMAGE

and with the modifier (external link)

As you can see, the modifier is quite effective!*

*I will openly admit that the 'after' shot shows effects not fully achievable with use of my modifier alone.
The Fong before and after shots do so, too... but those are not proclaimed openly to be the result of additional modifications in the 'after' shot other than the modifier alone.

BTW, the feta was good, too.

Wilt. Growing up in a Greek household, I sure hope you ran that Feta Cheese container through the dishwasher a few times...............

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 29, 2013 09:52 |  #17

Nick5 wrote in post #15547334 (external link)
Wilt. Growing up in a Greek household, I sure hope you ran that Feta Cheese container through the dishwasher a few times...............

Hopa! pass the Saganaki and ouzo!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
42,707 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 29, 2013 20:12 |  #18

OK,
Enough levity with the miracles achievable with light modifiers, as demonstrated by their inventor/marketeer! I admit that mine cannot achieve transformations to look like Brad Pitt without considerable plastic surgery. I wish that other advertisers were as frank about what their products cannot achieve!

Here is my free flash modifier (OK, I had to pay for the Feta) in real use. Two photos of my stepdaughter's willing guinea pigs taken minutes ago. Shot at 6' from subjects, first with direct flash, then with my Fetacheesebowl flash modifier. Standard room ceiling, camera positioned about 3' off the floor, back wall is about 17' from camera position.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_7735.jpg
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_7736.jpg

With results like this, why on earth spend $50-60 for new product, or even $20 on the used market, when the results will be no better than this ?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
42,707 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 09, 2013 11:51 |  #19

I decided to create a larger version of my modifier, so as to be 'better than the commercial tupperware' modifiers.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15590850&po​stcount=64

..and then there is the '3gal icecream' release, which my diet prevents me from making. Available via special request. ;)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightsphere: Gary Fong VS cheap
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.