Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 02:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hard Drive Recommendations for NAS

cisobe
257 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2013 02:11 |  #1

I have a Netgear Ready Nas Duo for my storage backup, and the original drives I installed are about 3-4 years old, so it's about time to replace them...

I'm looking at 2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch to replace my old 1TB drives... Currently, they are $129 each on Amazon...

My NAS isn't the fastest thing in the world, and I don't really need it to be (I'm just a hobbyist)... I just need some reliable drives with decent capacities...

Any suggestions are welcome... Thanks in advanced...

5D MKIII|7D w/ Grip|EF-S 10-22MM f/3.5-4.5|EF-S 17-55MM f/2.8 IS|EF 24-105MM f/4L IS|EF 50MM f/1.4|EF 70-200MM f/2.8L IS|85mm f/1.8|35mm f/2 IS|70-300MM f/4-5.6 IS|580EX|Manfrotto 055PROB|2x PCB Einstein 640

sponsored links
Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 29, 2013 02:23 |  #2

Check out the Western Digital RED drives. They were designed specifically for NAS devices and, from the reviews I've read, seem to be well received. Not sure about pricing though. I'd imagine they are a bit more expensive since they are a "new" product.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,545 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 29, 2013 02:42 |  #3

just work on the theory that anything will fail, so have a good backup routine. Then buy the cheapest drives that'll fit the bill...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 29, 2013 05:17 |  #4

I have had 4 x 2tb WD green drives running in my server for 4 years. One drive has failed...but you should always expect some level of failure. RAID or backup just I case.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 29, 2013 07:59 |  #5

Cisobe, I have two of those 3TB Seagates in-service now. They are reasonably fast -- but not as fast as the Hitachis I own. The difference is pretty significant, about 20%. The Hitachis are considerably more expensive though; when I bought them they were at parity with the other options available and now the Seagates cost much less.

For the money they're decent drives and I haven't had any trouble with them. Expect all fixed disks to have some sort of failure rate and plan (and backup!) accordingly.

I do not yet have any of the REDs; those appear to slot price-wise somewhat higher. Most of the so-called "compatibility" claims for NAS are garbage -- an intelligent NAS (or RAID adapter) will shut off retries in the firmware, choosing instead to immediately report failed reads and writes and handle reallocation of the offending sector and/or posting an error (and rebuilding the pack, if it's a RAID array) on its own. I've yet to run into any modern drives that I'd be willing to run in a NAS system that don't respond to these requests -- IF the firmware issues them. A decent NAS (or RAID) system should do so -- if it doesn't the problem isn't the drive.

In short I like those Seagates, especially for the price. I've seen some negative reviews on early failures (or DOAs) but all appear to be head-crash style damage which implicates serious abuse during shipping, which isn't the drive's fault. Make sure your NAS can handle 3TB disks (not all can.)

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

peter_n
Goldmember
2,393 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 29, 2013 08:17 |  #6

Relatively inexpensive - WD Red. High end - Hitachi Ultrastar. Many techs also like the Hitachi Deskstar.

~Peter

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,287 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 29, 2013 10:53 |  #7

Ive got a ReadyNas Duo (V2) and have two WD Red drives in it. They are a bit slower than desktop drives but are designed for 24/7 operation so should be pretty reliable. Very quiet as well.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2013 12:59 |  #8

Another vote for the WD Reds.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

TheDocAUS
79 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 29, 2013 20:10 |  #9

Backblaze who use 10,000s of drives suggest Hitachi. They have had less issues with them. I use Hitachi drives in 2 NAS’s, no issues.

Review of USB 3.0 Readers (external link)

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 29, 2013 20:19 |  #10

WD Reds.

dave_bass5 wrote in post #15547997 (external link)
Ive got a ReadyNas Duo (V2) and have two WD Red drives in it. They are a bit slower than desktop drives but are designed for 24/7 operation so should be pretty reliable. Very quiet as well.

Their 5400rpm speed doesn't appear to be an issue NAS-performance-wise. See this review which shows performance against non-NAS-optimised disks: http://www.anandtech.c​om …ed-hdds-worth-the-premium (external link)

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

WaterVsAnchor
366 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 29, 2013 20:51 |  #11

The Seagate Constellations are great for NAS systems as well. I have QNAP NAS systems running on my work network, all using Seagate Constellations in RAID 5 with no issues. As others have said, go for the WD Reds, or pretty much any enterprise drive from Seagate, Hitachi, etc..

---------------
-Sam- | FUJI X-E2 | Fuji 35 1.4 | Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 | Rokinon 12 2

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 29, 2013 21:26 |  #12

TheDocAUS wrote in post #15550100 (external link)
Backblaze who use 10,000s of drives suggest Hitachi. They have had less issues with them. I use Hitachi drives in 2 NAS’s, no issues.

Hitachi 3.5" is now Toshiba. Hitachi 2.5" and SSD are now Western Digital.

There are only 3 hard drive manufacturers left: WD, Seagate, and Toshiba.

(At least, according to Wikipedia, and they are NEVER wrong! ;))

Tom

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,422 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 29, 2013 21:33 |  #13

Another vote for WD red drives. They are not all that much more expensive and designed for the task.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,287 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 30, 2013 01:47 |  #14

Rai33 wrote in post #15550136 (external link)
WD Reds.

Their 5400rpm speed doesn't appear to be an issue NAS-performance-wise. See this review which shows performance against non-NAS-optimised disks: http://www.anandtech.c​om …ed-hdds-worth-the-premium (external link)

No, not an issue but thought it worth pointing out to the OP. some people will look at the figures and feel its a slow drive but like you say, the Reds are optimised for this sort of thing. I stream HD video from my NAS and never have any speed issues, and write speed to the NAS is around 60-70 MB/s so fast enough.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 30, 2013 10:54 as a reply to  @ dave_bass5's post |  #15

I've got Seagate 3TB drives in one of my NAS's (thinking the A651 model off hand, If you PM me I'll look and tell you exactly which ones). Which work fine, no problems at all.

Speed of the drives isn't nearly as much of a factor as the processor speed in your NAS.... If you seek more speed, get a faster box (which it doesn't seem like you). If nothing else once you get these drives you can get a faster box and more drives,

Last be sure that the drives you want to use are on your NAS's recommended drive list. If not you may have what THECUS likes to term an "UNSTABLE RAID", which doesn't mean it loses data, as much as it drops off line whenever it feels like it or will not be recognized by the NAS, etc..... Best to use recommended drives in matched sets.

Good luck

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

sponsored links

4,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hard Drive Recommendations for NAS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.