Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

tamron 17-50 nonvc vs canon 17-55 IS for events

skycolt
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 30, 2013 11:27 |  #1

I recently get some chance to shoot events, voluntarily. I really enjoy the process. My major interest is birding and wildlife so I prefer to keep my 7d. I need a lens to couple to the body. Now I got a tamron 17-50 and 17-55 IS. I think I'll shoot several events to decide which one to keep. But meantime I'd really benefit from you guys by asking question here.

Here is my feeling about the two lenses. I feel the IQ of the two lenses is similar. I like the light weight of tamron. I hate the noise on it. The focus is not too bad, but I am not sure it's fast enough to catch the moment. I like the IS of canon, but people are moving during the events and I am not sure how useful that will be. And canon is big, with 3x price, that's a minus for me.

Some of you must owned one or both of the lens and torn by selection. Hope to get feedback from you. Thanks in advance.

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 30, 2013 12:08 |  #2

skycolt wrote in post #15552220 (external link)
I recently get some chance to shoot events, voluntarily. I really enjoy the process. My major interest is birding and wildlife so I prefer to keep my 7d. I need a lens to couple to the body. Now I got a tamron 17-50 and 17-55 IS. I think I'll shoot several events to decide which one to keep. But meantime I'd really benefit from you guys by asking question here.
Here is my feeling about the two lenses. I feel the IQ of the two lenses is similar. I like the light weight of tamron. I hate the noise on it. The focus is not too bad, but I am not sure it's fast enough to catch the moment. I like the IS of canon, but people are moving during the events and I am not sure how useful that will be. And canon is big, with 3x price, that's a minus for me.

Some of you must owned one or both of the lens and torn by selection. Hope to get feedback from you. Thanks in advance.

if you have both lens then take pics at an event and compare. For me the Tamron has been adequate for events indoors and outside and I don't feel the need to upgrade but if 'IS' is important then perhaps also consider the Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX (priced between the Canon and Tamron).

XSi (450D)
Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-vc
ISO 1600
1/100

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8183/8106252106_ae3f716a94_b.jpg

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 30, 2013 12:45 |  #3

Have you checked the images for edge to edge sharpness and CA control?

You have a 7D and the weight of the 17-55 actually creates a very balanced setup.

For me, the big advantages to the Canon are the fast and silent AF, it finds focus in some pretty difficult lighting situations and the full time manual that you get with a true ring AF. Also the IS is very useful and lets you get some sharp shots of static subjects at very low shutter speeds.

You can see a set of pics I have taken with the 17-55 here:
http://www.flickr.com …6/sets/72157632​375444982/ (external link)

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

skycolt
THREAD ­ STARTER
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 30, 2013 15:18 |  #4

thanks for all your replies.

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickr (external link)

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 30, 2013 15:48 |  #5

For me the , Tamron works . But I don't use it for a lot of fast paced type shots . The Af noise isn't really an issue either , not half as bad as the 50mm 1.8 . But if you think you need a fast Af , go with the canon or the Sigma version ....

Hi

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 30, 2013 16:18 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

If you think the Tamron is good enough for your need then keep the difference.

No doubt the 17-55 is better in every dept, well except price.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Bigbreeze
23 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 30, 2013 16:46 |  #7

I have been using the Tamron 17-50non-vc for a few months now. While i do like the image quality and it's lightweight, compact size, I'm finding the AF sometimes slow in some fairly decent lighting situations. If i had the money, I would not hesitate to purchase eiher the Canon or else the Sigma 17-50 OS.

Nonetheless, the Tamron is very much good enough for me at the moment...I'm far from being a pro!

flickr (external link)
Canon 60D/10-18/17-50/50 1.8II/70-200

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 30, 2013 22:00 |  #8

I like the IS of canon, but people are moving during the events and I am not sure how useful that will be.

This is a very common misunderstanding. Image stabilization performs the same task and works just as effectively whether people are moving or not. If you are shooting 1/10 of a second at 55mm, then your picture would probably be blurry due to camera shake without stabilization. With the stabilization turned on, camera shake would almost certainly be eliminated at that shutter speed. While shooting your no-shake image at 1/10, still objects will be sharp and clear. People may or may not have some degree of motion blur depending on how much or how fast they are moving. Someone sitting in a chair playing a violin would probably be fairly sharp; someone running across the room would not. Either way, the benefit of image stabilization hasn't changed and is still there.

I like the light weight of tamron. I hate the noise on it. The focus is not too bad, but I am not sure it's fast enough to catch the moment. And canon is big, with 3x price, that's a minus for me.

The USM focus is the reason I went with the Canon over the Tamron when I made my purchase. The IS was just a very welcome added bonus (it was my first stabilized lens). The Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM did not exist at the time I made my purchase, otherwise I would have considered that over the Tamron.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

sponsored links

1,864 views & 0 likes for this thread
tamron 17-50 nonvc vs canon 17-55 IS for events
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.