Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

photophilth
329 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 24, 2013 16:53 |  #8701

well done!

sponsored links
VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 24, 2013 20:56 |  #8702

lcrazyaznl wrote in post #15522787 (external link)
Yup it worked like a charm, it appears to leak thru the side I took it apart to see if it stuck in. It seems like its not as tight as the other 2 woods I have. the Plunger slowly just looses pressure.

I think I know what's wrong with it, PM me.

~Andrew from Rig-Pro (external link) Gallery (external link)

jp450r
47 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 24, 2013 23:05 |  #8703

Koppy179 wrote in post #15528207 (external link)
Cool, you can not see it? :cool:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/koppy179/841079​9477/  (external link)
Ford Mustang RIG Imagebuild (external link) von koppy179 (external link) auf Flickr

awesome shot but i can see the pole in the hood.

czeslawo
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 25, 2013 04:19 |  #8704

It's not what one'd call bright, but I guess I like it the way it is. Hope you like it too

IMAGE: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1557/clioxb.jpg

jp450r
47 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 25, 2013 06:46 |  #8705

czeslawo wrote in post #15531385 (external link)
It's not what one'd call bright, but I guess I like it the way it is. Hope you like it too
QUOTED IMAGE

looks good to me.

Keedo
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 27, 2013 00:15 |  #8706

Piping I figured out, Right now I am trying to figure out how to connect the suction cups to the clamps. I am getting these suction cups, the worst part is that they have 1/4" screw. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …MB_Super_Grip_J​unior.html (external link)

I have heard bad stories of the F1000 failing.

The suction cups are slowing me down because I do not know how to find a way to mount them to the clamps. The suction cup closest to the camera, I would like to have it raised up, like an extension from the suction cup to the clamp to raise up the pole/boom so I can get higher shots.

Someone help me?

6D -- Canon 24-105 -- 50mm f1.8 -- Canon 16-35 f/4 -- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II -- Canon 85 1.8
Flickr (external link)FaceBook (external link)

Fat ­ Buff ­ Guy
858 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 27, 2013 11:24 |  #8707

You should be able to go down to your local hardware store and get a connector nut. They have them in different lengths. Something likes this.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i297.photobucke​t.com …y%20new%20stuff​/29740.jpg (external link)

But I have the avengers and I have never had one fail, and having a set up with connector nuts can't be anywhere near as good as the set up thats on the avengers.

If you do still go that route, I would make sure you loctite them to make sure they dont come loose on you, and you can get nuts that connect different sizes so you should have some options on what to use for a pin to connect your clamp too. I would do some tests on something ohter then a car first though, just to make sure everything is good.

If all else fails, just take the cup and the clamp down to your local hardware store and show them what you want to do, seems to work for me and quite a bit of the time they have really good ideas.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Chris-some Canon, some Nikon, some Pentax, lil bit o' everything

Fat ­ Buff ­ Guy
858 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 27, 2013 11:33 |  #8708

Of course, you almost have to have some way to swivel your clamp. I imagine you can probably find something on B&H, they have all kinds of cool stuff.

Chris-some Canon, some Nikon, some Pentax, lil bit o' everything

SMRimage
48 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 30, 2013 09:20 |  #8709

This is probably the hardest rig shot I have had to try and clone to date.... I don't think its a patch on what some of you guys are doing on here but I'm quite happy with it :)

1st shot is SOOC other than the plate.
Before:

http://i259.photobucke​t.com …civic-man/SOOCrigshot.jpg (external link)

After:

http://i259.photobucke​t.com …ivic-man/frontrigshot.jpg (external link)

http://www.smr-image.co.uk (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/smr-image (external link)

Bluetibby1
149 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 30, 2013 13:10 |  #8710

Here is a re-edit of a shot I did last year.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8081/8428411804_98842be355_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bluetibby1/8428​411804/  (external link)
Subaru STi on the move (external link) by jamestippettphotograph​y (external link), on Flickr

website (external link)
facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

jjphoto
187 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 30, 2013 18:28 |  #8711

Keedo wrote in post #15538512 (external link)
Piping I figured out, Right now I am trying to figure out how to connect the suction cups to the clamps. I am getting these suction cups, the worst part is that they have 1/4" screw. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …MB_Super_Grip_J​unior.html (external link)

They are readilly available in 3/8th threads so why are you making like hard by buying the wrong item in the first place? Makes no sense to me. By the way, you can replace the top housing of those cups with other fittings, such as a 3/8th thread. Go to the Woods website to see what's available.

Keedo wrote in post #15538512 (external link)
...I have heard bad stories of the F1000 failing...

If you have ONLY heard bad stories about Avenger/Manfrotto then you have very selective hearing. They have been an industry standard for a very long time, work very well, and will continue to do so. However, all vacuum cups fail eventually, regardless of the size, shape, model etc. I've used both Avenger/Manfrotto and various Woods cups for a very long time and they are simply different, not better or worse then each other. The Avenger/Manfrotto are stiffer so have less movement and better suited for some types of work. The Woods have a softer, more flexible, pad which can be handy when fitting to a curved surface.

It's total rubbish that one is better than the other, they are just different. Any one telling you otherwise is selling you something.

Woods

IMAGE: http://photocornucopia.com/images/Rig%20Shots/RSW30_2_pc_400.jpg

Avenger/Manfrotto
IMAGE: http://photocornucopia.com/images/Rig%20Shots/RS1100_3_pc_400.jpg

PhotoCornucopia.com (external link)

jp450r
47 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 30, 2013 19:08 |  #8712

SMRimage wrote in post #15551709 (external link)
This is probably the hardest rig shot I have had to try and clone to date.... I don't think its a patch on what some of you guys are doing on here but I'm quite happy with it :)

1st shot is SOOC other than the plate.
Before:
QUOTED IMAGE

After:
QUOTED IMAGE

can you post a picture of your cup setup? i like the way that looks for adjusting height.

jp450r
47 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 30, 2013 19:08 |  #8713

jjphoto wrote in post #15553882 (external link)
They are readilly available in 3/8th threads so why are you making like hard by buying the wrong item in the first place? Makes no sense to me. By the way, you can replace the top housing of those cups with other fittings, such as a 3/8th thread. Go to the Woods website to see what's available.

If you have ONLY heard bad stories about Avenger/Manfrotto then you have very selective hearing. They have been an industry standard for a very long time, work very well, and will continue to do so. However, all vacuum cups fail eventually, regardless of the size, shape, model etc. I've used both Avenger/Manfrotto and various Woods cups for a very long time and they are simply different, not better or worse then each other. The Avenger/Manfrotto are stiffer so have less movement and better suited for some types of work. The Woods have a softer, more flexible, pad which can be handy when fitting to a curved surface.

It's total rubbish that one is better than the other, they are just different. Any one telling you otherwise is selling you something.

Woods
QUOTED IMAGE

Avenger/Manfrotto
QUOTED IMAGE

100% agree.

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 31, 2013 07:43 |  #8714

jjphoto wrote in post #15553882 (external link)

jp450r wrote in post #15554004 (external link)
100% agree.

100% disagree.

Avenger F1000: made for FLAT surfaces only
Woods: made for curved surfaces

Avenger F1000: holds 4.41 lbs
Woods: holds 71 lbs

Avenger F1000: pump is known to fail
Woods: never heard of a single failure, ever

Avenger F1000: swivel is made into the cup
Woods: swivel is detachable so you can add an extension

The only negative I have ever seen from a Woods cup is a manufacturing defect that happens sometimes where there is a small slit in the sealing ring, which doesn't allow it to seal. Woods will replace this, end of story.

The fact of the matter is that the Manfrotto is conusmer-grade, and the Woods is film-industry-grade, and that is all the difference in the world.

Moral of the story is, the Manfrotto will work, but is far from optimal for rig-shots. I have seen many get away with using the Manfrotto because they were using a super light (and inadequate) boom, but once you use a pro-grade boom (unless you break the bank on carbon fiber), the odds are massively for you having an issue. To me, this is worth the difference in price, so I use only Woods cups on my rig-shots.

~Andrew from Rig-Pro (external link) Gallery (external link)

john ­ owen
305 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 31, 2013 14:20 as a reply to  @ VisualEchos's post |  #8715

Ive got both and they are very very different

I've never had a manf fail in use, but you do need to keep an eye on the suction pump to enusre its got full grip and it likes a very flat surface or it wont grip - this makes me a little uneasy when working at the long end of the pole

The woods hold better and will take on a slight curve, ive never had to repump one while working - you can set them and knw they wont give

Really you only need to see the weight rating to know how different they are Manf rated at 4lb and woods at 71lb

I have nothing to sell either, so here is somebody who produces rig shots and is telling you that woods are better without selling you anything ;-)a

But as with all things rig related if cash is an issue and your doing this for fun then the cheaper option may well be good enough for you

I suspect as you get in to it and want to get further away from the car or more agressive with your shots or are working on other peoples car where lost grip on a pump means paying to have repairs done, then the woods will seem more attractive

Find me....
www.flickr.com/photos/​51975854@N00/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/johno​wenphotography (external link)
www.johnowencommercial​photography.co.uk (external link)
www.johnowenphotograph​y.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links

4,037,101 views & 531 likes for this thread
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.