Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D or 7D

GDUB312
42 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 30, 2013 13:15 |  #1

After deciding to take a vacation to Sweden in a few months, I decided it is time to upgrade my body.

Although I know the 6D and 7D are aimed for somewhat different photographers, I am looking for a camera that is versitle. Usually I shoot urban, some landscape, portaits, but I am also a motocross rider and like to take pictures of friends riding.

So far I can see positives with both bodies. I like the FF and low light of the 6D, but the AF of the 7D (5D Miii is out of my price range). I also have Best Buy gift certificates that I will use towards the purchase.

Any thoughts?

Canon XTi, 70-200 2.8 L

sponsored links
xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,985 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 30, 2013 13:47 |  #2

I just upgraded from from the 60D to the 6D. I'll never go back to crop. The increased IQ is insane.

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

afalco
110 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 30, 2013 14:46 |  #3

You said you wanted to "upgrade a body", but did not say which one. Ok. But what lenses do you own? As you know EF-S lenses are inappropriate for FF bodies, so you may have to buy new lenses as well. (BTW fortunately (?) I do not have the money for an FF body and lenses, otherwise I might buy one myself, although I am sure I am better off with my 7D: longer reach and faster AF, 8fps, etc.)

Gear is one thing photos are another story.
500px.com/AndreasFalco (external link)
photography.andreasfal​co.com (external link)
Thank you.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,576 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 30, 2013 15:18 |  #4

You need to weigh the importance of fast AF and frame rate (FPS) vs better IQ, especially in low light. The 6D is nothing short of phenomenal in low light, but it shoots half as fast and the AF isn't as adept for action. Which is more important to you?

Mark J.
Gear

Ladera
124 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 30, 2013 15:37 |  #5

I own a 7D and I love it. AF is amazing and picture quality is excellent for the most part. It is definitely a versitile camera.

Having said that, I am seriously considering moving to a 6D. I have found that I simply don't shoot enough "action" photos to justify the tradeoff of lost IQ for AF. I also want the shallower depth of field possible with a full frame camera and better low light performance. If I were you, I would focus on which are your highest priorities and choose accordingly.

5D Mark III / 35L / 24-105L / 600ex-rt

battleborn_nevada
501 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 30, 2013 15:45 as a reply to  @ Ladera's post |  #6

Had a couple 7D's and 60D's over the last two years. I recently upgraded to the 6D...not looked back since. If you can live without the AF and the high frames per second, do the 6D!

Reno, Nevada
---------------
Canon 6D | Web (external link) | Flickr Gallery (external link)

GDUB312
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 30, 2013 17:08 |  #7

Thanks for the replies.

I would be upgrading from an XTi, so any would be great. Currently I have a 70-200 2.8L and when upgrading the body, I will also get a 24-105L. Right now I am leaning toward the 6D for the low light and IQ.

I appreciate the input!

Canon XTi, 70-200 2.8 L

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,676 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 30, 2013 17:21 |  #8

I say 6d!
Also be sure to subscribe to https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=80043​5&page=249

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

Markd102
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 30, 2013 17:34 as a reply to  @ EightEleven's post |  #9

The 6 & 7 compliment each other so well you almost need both.
But if I could only have one, I'd definitely go with the 6D.

gonygonygo
514 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 30, 2013 17:53 |  #10

Get the 5D3 and you will be set! ;-)a

Seriously, you are probably realizing that every gear choice is a compromise of some sort. Maybe you already knew that!

I would suggest trying each one out (rental??) before making a decision...

EOS R | 1DX | 5D Mark III | 16-35L IS | 24-70L II | 100L | 70-200 II | 400L IS II | flickr (external link)

cisobe
257 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 30, 2013 20:13 |  #11

gonygonygo wrote in post #15553737 (external link)
Get the 5D3 and you will be set! ;-)a.

I agree with this lol...

But seriously.... if you only have a 70-200... and you're shooting motocross and action type pics you'll be happy with a 7d for its awesome AF system... the 7d is capable to shoot awesome landscapes and portraits too... you'll just need to invest in decent glass 10-22 or 17-55 for a crop sensor can... these are the only efs lenses I recommend (though the 15-85 is solid too) every thing else should be EF in case you ever do go FF.

I recommend the 7d primarily because what you said you shoot...also because you said you only have a 70-200 2.8.... a 7d is really cheap now so you can buy more lenses....

FF is awesome and I'm loving my 5d3 but I still love my 7d... the AF on these two cameras are awesome... going back and using my 40d's 9pt AF system is tough... which is the primary reason why I went with the mk3 instead of the 6d...

5D MKIII|7D w/ Grip|EF-S 10-22MM f/3.5-4.5|EF-S 17-55MM f/2.8 IS|EF 24-105MM f/4L IS|EF 50MM f/1.4|EF 70-200MM f/2.8L IS|85mm f/1.8|35mm f/2 IS|70-300MM f/4-5.6 IS|580EX|Manfrotto 055PROB|2x PCB Einstein 640

sonofjesse
692 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2013 20:35 |  #12

If you skip sports adn don't need the reach the 6D all the way. If not I would get the 7D for the AF for sports and the longer reach unless you got 100-400mm and other lenses.

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

Markd102
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 30, 2013 21:15 |  #13

Question for those totally discounting the 6D for sports...... Have you actually tried it, or are you making assumptions?

tjbrock42
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 30, 2013 21:23 |  #14

I say go for the 6D.

I had my mind made up I was upgrading from 40D to the 7D until I started reading about its sharpness (look at some sample pics). Apparently it has an aggressive filter of sorts that decreases its sharpness. Many many happy 7D owners have told me that you just increase sharpness in post. Now I know sharpness isn't everything, but if I'm upgrading cameras I want improved IQ. I don't want to have to do more in post.

Unfortunately the 7D didn't seeme like it would upgrade the IQ enough for me to justify the price. It seemed like it was just more of a feature set upgrade, which I didn't really care about.

Thus the 6D. It is the perfect upgrade for someone like me (and u?). I don't care about any fancy articulating screens (not on7D), super duper fps rates, and customizable AF systems. Sure those things sound nice. And sure I wish the 6D had a better AF system, but the one it has is sufficient and familiar to both you and I. It also boasts a pretty decent center point.

I have read all kinds of reviews that seem to rave about the IQ of the 6D... how it is second only to the 5DIII and 1DX... and then conclude that they are somewhat disappointed with it. I don't get it. It's light, it has GPS, wifi, plenty of megapixels (at least for me), and seems like it has AMAZING ISO performance. Not to mention all of its full frame goodness compared to croppers.

Alright, enough rambling... Get the 6D.

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 30, 2013 21:26 |  #15

xinvisionx wrote in post #15552735 (external link)
I just upgraded from from the 60D to the 6D. I'll never go back to crop. The increased IQ is insane.

That's an exaggeration; the increased IQ is not insane imo. Pick some random 6D and 7D images off Flickr and you won't be able to tell for certain which came from which body. However, if you have the EXIF and you pixel peep, then ya you'll probably be able to see a pattern of better high ISO from the 6D if you sample enough photos.

sponsored links

3,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D or 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.