Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 05:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lr 4 - is yours slow?

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 17, 2013 17:55 |  #31

tonylong wrote in post #15501743 (external link)
Yeah, sometimes a reboot is a cleaner way!

If you want to get a fun view of what's going on, open the Windows Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, and scroll down -- you'll see not just what processes are taking up CPU operations at the time but also how much memory they are taking up!

Thanks, knew that. I was a software development manager and programmer for a large NYC bank before I retired.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

sponsored links
Rick67
142 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 17, 2013 18:04 |  #32

Mine is terribly slow and nothing seems to help. I am using intel quad core w/6gigs ram and 1tb drive. Its a 4 year old Dell desktop PC. Its the "loading" I see when sorting through pics that is super slow.

Rick67
142 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 17, 2013 18:16 |  #33

Bob_A wrote in post #15479600 (external link)
By the way, make sure you follow this or your standard previews will never fully render (become sharp) unless you force the creation of a 1:1 preview by zooming to 100%:

"For Standard Preview Size, choose the amount that is closest to the longest edge of your screen resolution, but not shorter than it. For example, if your screen resolution is 1920 x 1200 pixels, choose Standard Preview Size > 2048 Pixels."

LR does not detect your monitor setting and set this properly for you (at least it didn't for me for my NEC PA241W connected via displayport). I have a 1920 wide monitor and it chose a smaller value instead of the correct value of 2048.

Wow I tried this setting out and it is no longer slow! You are the man@@ I set it to 2048 and now my pair of 1920x1080 monitors are humming along just fine. LR4 lets you work easily with dual monitors in case anyone didnt know this btw.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2013 18:21 |  #34

Rick67 wrote in post #15502082 (external link)
Mine is terribly slow and nothing seems to help. I am using intel quad core w/6gigs ram and 1tb drive. Its a 4 year old Dell desktop PC. Its the "loading" I see when sorting through pics that is super slow.

Hmm...first off are you using the newest upgrade (version 4.3)?

And then have you thoroughly gone through all the suggestions online (and here) for improving performance?

If the answers are both yes, then I don't kow that there is an easy answer. Our systems can be pretty complex, with a lot of variables, and a program like Lightroom can "use" a lot of those variables. So if there is a problem with your system, it is likely acting as a "bottleneck" slowing the whole show down.

One thing you can try is to open the Task Manager, and in the Performance tab, select each process that shows you as the User, and click End Process. Then start up Lightroom and see how it behaves. Report back!

[EDIT] OK, I just saw your last post, good for you!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 17, 2013 18:36 |  #35

Rick67 wrote in post #15502082 (external link)

Please define terribly show. For example how long does it take for an image to fully load into the develop module after you select it in the grid? What size previews are you generating? Have you been regularly optimizing the catalog when you exit? And what else are you running when you're in Lightroom?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

Rick67
142 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 17, 2013 18:42 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #36

Yeah the difference for me is night and day, I actually wasn't using LR much at all because it was so frustrating.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2013 20:28 |  #37

mwsilver wrote in post #15502198 (external link)
Please define terribly show. For example how long does it take for an image to fully load into the develop module after you select it in the grid? What size previews are you generating? Have you been regularly optimizing the catalog when you exit? And what else are you running when you're in Lightroom?

Mark, look at post 33, he solved his problem, a very interesting solution!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,837 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 17, 2013 20:49 |  #38

Bob_A wrote in post #15479600 (external link)
What kind of computer specs do you folks have that are seeing slowness? For me previews are taking about 3 seconds to fully render (become completely sharp) but it's my understanding that if I created 1:1 previews on import this wouldn't be noticeable.

I have a 2 year old i7-930 machine with 12GB RAM, Win 7 Pro, LR 64 bit and 20GB cache and don't notice any slowness with sliders, etc. that creates problems when editing. My catalog has 31,000 images.

By the way, make sure you follow this or your standard previews will never fully render (become sharp) unless you force the creation of a 1:1 preview by zooming to 100%:

"For Standard Preview Size, choose the amount that is closest to the longest edge of your screen resolution, but not shorter than it. For example, if your screen resolution is 1920 x 1200 pixels, choose Standard Preview Size > 2048 Pixels."

LR does not detect your monitor setting and set this properly for you (at least it didn't for me for my NEC PA241W connected via displayport). I have a 1920 wide monitor and it chose a smaller value instead of the correct value of 2048.

I have an NEC as well. Where do I find the For Standard Preview Size setting?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 17, 2013 20:57 |  #39

For Windows it's under Edit -> Catalog Settings -> File Handling tab

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,837 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 17, 2013 23:40 |  #40

Thanks. On my mac it was under lightroom.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 18, 2013 01:09 |  #41

tonylong wrote in post #15502593 (external link)
Mark, look at post 33, he solved his problem, a very interesting solution!

Its one of the optimization suggestions from the Adobe ink I posted earlier on.

"To make standard previews small, specify the appropriate the size and quality in the Catalog Settings dialog box:

Choose Edit > Catalog Settings (Windows) or Lightroom > Catalog Settings (Mac OS), and then select File Handling.
For Standard Preview Size, choose the amount that is closest to the longest edge of your screen resolution, but not shorter than it. For example, if your screen resolution is 1920 x 1200 pixels, choose Standard Preview Size > 2048 Pixels.
For Preview Quality, choose Low or Medium, which equates to the low- or mid-range of the quality scale for JPEG files."

Here's the link again: http://helpx.adobe.com …main_Optimize_t​he_catalog (external link)

Mark

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 31, 2013 00:28 |  #42

I upgraded today.....bad mistake! I was using 2.7 and everything worked fine. Now on 4.3 and it's so much slower. I had to upgrade to be able to read my new 5D mk III raw files.

What do I mean by slower? When I click on an image it first appears 'sharp' then it blurs for 4-5 secs, then it comes sharp again with a slight change in say contrast (I assume it's applying the presets I have chosen).

But these are on images I have already done 1:1 previews on. I have the previews set to the max size and quality and my cache at 30GB.

Worse, I converted the mk III raw files into DNG's and tried these in 4.3...still slow. Then I ran the DNG's in 2.6 and it works as fast as it used too.

For the record I am on a 27" imac 2.8 ghz i7 with 12GB ram and I've done 90% of all the recommend optimisation tasks and even chatted to an Adobe 'tech' support person for half an hour.

I'm really disappointed if this is what the upgrade gets me - if I cant find an answer I'll be converting all my mk III files to DNG's and still running 2.7.

Any tips anyone?!

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 31, 2013 00:57 |  #43

razyl wrote in post #15554910 (external link)
I upgraded today.....bad mistake! I was using 2.7 and everything worked fine. Now on 4.3 and it's so much slower. I had to upgrade to be able to read my new 5D mk III raw files.

What do I mean by slower? When I click on an image it first appears 'sharp' then it blurs for 4-5 secs, then it comes sharp again with a slight change in say contrast (I assume it's applying the presets I have chosen).

But these are on images I have already done 1:1 previews on. I have the previews set to the max size and quality and my cache at 30GB.

Worse, I converted the mk III raw files into DNG's and tried these in 4.3...still slow. Then I ran the DNG's in 2.6 and it works as fast as it used too.

For the record I am on a 27" imac 2.8 ghz i7 with 12GB ram and I've done 90% of all the recommend optimisation tasks and even chatted to an Adobe 'tech' support person for half an hour.

I'm really disappointed if this is what the upgrade gets me - if I cant find an answer I'll be converting all my mk III files to DNG's and still running 2.7.

Any tips anyone?!

I have an older and significantly slower Windows 7 PC with only 6 gb of RAM. When I select and open an image from the Library module into Develop, it takes less than 3 seconds to fully load. Others with similar MACs to yours have reported much faster response than I have. Clearly something is bogging you down. What else are you running while Lightroom is executing? The less you run the better off you are.

Mark

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 31, 2013 01:29 |  #44

mwsilver wrote in post #15554974 (external link)
I have an older and significantly slower Windows 7 PC with only 6 gb of RAM. When I select and open an image from the Library module into Develop, it takes less than 3 seconds to fully load. Others with similar MACs to yours have reported much faster response than I have. Clearly something is bogging you down. What else are you running while Lightroom is executing? The less you run the better off you are.

I'm running nothing else - this computer is just for processing. I usually get through 1000 shots a day but after half a day and only 200 photos I gave up waiting for images to load and started looking for answers.

The reason why I think it's a software issue is that the DNG's work fine in 2.7 but not in 4.3. It shouldnt be a RAM issue as 12GB is more than enough (and LR only shows use of 2-3GB in Activity Monitor anyway).

And I dont think it's a drive issue as on my mac book pro using an SSD + HDD it still is slower than 2.6.

With all the added features like grain and lens correction I wonder if it's made the latest version slow?

Look, compared to drawing by hand it's pretty fast....but compared to 2.7 it's slower, much slower. When I can work & think quicker than LR can react I really notice it - those micro pauses waiting for modules to change or images to render sharp kill my workflow.

| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 31, 2013 01:31 |  #45

I'd even rule out the MK III raw files being the issue as the mk II raw files load with the same slow speed.

sponsored links

5,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lr 4 - is yours slow?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.