Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 05:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lr 4 - is yours slow?

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 31, 2013 02:22 |  #46

razyl wrote in post #15555008 (external link)
I'm running nothing else - this computer is just for processing. I usually get through 1000 shots a day but after half a day and only 200 photos I gave up waiting for images to load and started looking for answers.

The reason why I think it's a software issue is that the DNG's work fine in 2.7 but not in 4.3. It shouldnt be a RAM issue as 12GB is more than enough (and LR only shows use of 2-3GB in Activity Monitor anyway).

And I dont think it's a drive issue as on my mac book pro using an SSD + HDD it still is slower than 2.6.

With all the added features like grain and lens correction I wonder if it's made the latest version slow?

Look, compared to drawing by hand it's pretty fast....but compared to 2.7 it's slower, much slower. When I can work & think quicker than LR can react I really notice it - those micro pauses waiting for modules to change or images to render sharp kill my workflow.

Have you tried periodically purging the previews cache? Even if you have a large enough cache I've found that it can speed things up considerably, especially with all the previews your generating every day.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2013 02:22 |  #47

It's true that LR4 has had a lot of work done, especially compared to LR2.x, certainly. And, I oculd hypothecize that LR4 uses a broader "diversity" of system resources.

On the other hand the work done has provided significant improvements. Also, the various reports indicate a lot of happy users but a few, a minority, who seem to experience "unsatisfactory" slowdowns. We've seen some people get answers in this thread, maybe a lot of people, but still -- our systems are pretty complex and the bottlenecks could be anywhere.

So, when you suggest it's a "software issue", sure, but what software? Since many systems run very fast, then I'd say the "software issue" is related to the system software that LR is using in a different way -- the more evident conclusion being that this part of your system is under-performing...

And I'd agree, only 200 photos after several hours of post-processing, assuming the photos have significant settings that can be Sync'd/batch processes, well, that's not so good, and I feel for you!

I'm not a Mac user, so can only sympathize!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 31, 2013 03:24 |  #48

mwsilver wrote in post #15555086 (external link)
Have you tried periodically purging the previews cache? Even if you have a large enough cache I've found that it can speed things up considerably, especially with all the previews your generating every day.

Yep tried that. I only installed last night and imported just 2000 photos and rendered previews etc.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 31, 2013 03:28 |  #49

tonylong wrote in post #15555087 (external link)
It's true that LR4 has had a lot of work done, especially compared to LR2.x, certainly. And, I oculd hypothecize that LR4 uses a broader "diversity" of system resources.

On the other hand the work done has provided significant improvements. Also, the various reports indicate a lot of happy users but a few, a minority, who seem to experience "unsatisfactory" slowdowns. We've seen some people get answers in this thread, maybe a lot of people, but still -- our systems are pretty complex and the bottlenecks could be anywhere.

So, when you suggest it's a "software issue", sure, but what software? Since many systems run very fast, then I'd say the "software issue" is related to the system software that LR is using in a different way -- the more evident conclusion being that this part of your system is under-performing...

And I'd agree, only 200 photos after several hours of post-processing, assuming the photos have significant settings that can be Sync'd/batch processes, well, that's not so good, and I feel for you!

I'm not a Mac user, so can only sympathize!

I agree with all that - just very frustrating. I'd say CPU speed is a possible culprit....2.8 ghz isnt exactly pedestrian but not up to current maximums.

And maybe a new model computer would have better 64 bit performance with 4.3?

But all in all I didnt expect my computer and/or system - that's "only" three years old - to not be able to handle this software upgrade.

I should have stuck with the mk II and what I knew worked :(

Anyway - if anyone else is considering a mk III upgrade which then = LR 4 upgrade I'd get some mk III raw files and run some checks to make sure it will work for you.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2013 09:33 |  #50

razyl wrote in post #15555168 (external link)
I agree with all that - just very frustrating. I'd say CPU speed is a possible culprit....2.8 ghz isnt exactly pedestrian but not up to current maximums.

But all in all I didnt expect my computer and/or system - that's "only" three years old - to not be able to handle this software upgrade.

Anyway - if anyone else is considering a mk III upgrade which then = LR 4 upgrade I'd get some mk III raw files and run some checks to make sure it will work for you.

I don't think it's because of a 3-year-old system or your processor speed, there has to be something else "hiding" in your system. I do appreciate your frustration!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 31, 2013 13:00 |  #51

razyl wrote in post #15555168 (external link)

Although my Windows 7 system is also a few years old, and the processor is slower, and memory is only 6 GB, it is a 64 bit machine. Perhaps that's critical to those who are enjoying better performance.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,898 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 31, 2013 13:02 |  #52

tonylong wrote in post #15555767 (external link)
I don't think it's because of a 3-year-old system or your processor speed, there has to be something else "hiding" in your system. I do appreciate your frustration!

I agree that there is probably more to the story than meets the eye.

Mark

Tiggity-T
221 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 01, 2013 14:03 |  #53

I think a lot of the issues with LR4 and slow performance come down to hyper-threading and multi-core processors. LR4's sliders and local adjustment brush are optimized for hyper-thread enabled processors. Just because you have a CPU with multiple cores doesn't mean that you have hyper-threading. Intel i3 and i5 processors don't, the i7 do.
When upgraded to LR4 from LR3 my dual core AMD running at 3.8Ghz w/ 8GB of RAM choked on the sliders and local adjustment. I upgraded to the 8-core AMD 8350 Vishera that has hyper-threading enabled. Made a huge difference.

7D, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, 580EX, 50 1.4 USM, 2̶4̶-̶1̶0̶5̶ ̶f̶/̶4̶, S̶i̶g̶m̶a̶ ̶5̶0̶ ̶f̶/̶1̶.̶4̶,̶ 4̶3̶0̶E̶X̶

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 02, 2013 03:38 |  #54

Tiggity-T wrote in post #15560887 (external link)
I think a lot of the issues with LR4 and slow performance come down to hyper-threading and multi-core processors. LR4's sliders and local adjustment brush are optimized for hyper-thread enabled processors. Just because you have a CPU with multiple cores doesn't mean that you have hyper-threading. Intel i3 and i5 processors don't, the i7 do.
When upgraded to LR4 from LR3 my dual core AMD running at 3.8Ghz w/ 8GB of RAM choked on the sliders and local adjustment. I upgraded to the 8-core AMD 8350 Vishera that has hyper-threading enabled. Made a huge difference.

Hmm, I don't know about that, we need more "investigation"!!

Tony

sponsored links

5,297 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lr 4 - is yours slow?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.