Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2013 (Tuesday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

any reason to get the 6D over the D600?

lomenak
649 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 31, 2013 00:57 |  #136

RobDickinson wrote in post #15552990 (external link)
In terms of performance modern cameras are all so close to each other and so good it doesnt really differentiate

How is the 6D doing in comparison with 5Dmk2, Rob? Can you tell that there is 3 years of development between them? I could test my old 5Dmk2 against the D600 and the D600 is way better in terms of image quality.

sponsored links
RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 31, 2013 01:51 |  #137

I havnt (still) got into the raws , have to download dng convertor 7.3

At base ISO theres not much difference (tho remember I am comparing jpg to raw..). ISO 1600+ theres a real difference, the 6d is def cleaner for high iso and stars.

Operationally its snappy, not like the clunky slow 5d2

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

lomenak
649 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 31, 2013 02:28 as a reply to  @ RobDickinson's post |  #138

Would be interesting to see what you think about the raws. I dont really care about the ergonomics or operation. My camera is set to MF and is mounted to tripod almost exclusively. The only thing I had to change in my workflow with the D600 was to stop using liveview as it is horrid. It does suck as it is very useful, but none of my DSLRs before the 5Dmk2 had liveview so it is not such a biggie.

hyogen
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 31, 2013 03:44 |  #139

ERJL wrote in post #15552589 (external link)
Tried the D600 with a kit lens for a week and the grip felt awful. Too big and chunky and my hands are by no means small. The 6D feels much more comfortable and has a "quality" feel to it.

the 6D also has one feature Nikon has stubbornly left off the DSLR's, an illumination light for the LCD panel. My old D90 drove me crazy when using it indoors for close up work on a tripod (D600 not illuminated either). Got into the habit of using a small flashlight to see what was displayed on the LCD. Canon is a much better design, IMO!

If anyone still thinks the D600 is a superior camera overall, just go to the Nikon Cafe forum and read the horror stories about the sensor dust and oil problems.

the D600 does have an LCD light. You just flip the on/off switch the other way. I've also read the oil/dust issue is way overblown. I've not seen any issues so far.

That being said, I wouldn't have minded a 6D.. The -3EV center dot focus point is nice....but 1 single cross type point is just stupid. Also, it has pretty much the exact same size viewfinder as a Rebel??! (Correct me if I'm wrong. It has 96% coverage.. Rebels have 95% coverage). Even the 7D has 100% coverage and large viewfinder............​... The wifi remote application is really cool, but it's hard to argue in most points the D600 is a 6D killer. But for what it's worth, I was gonna go with the 6D anyway--almost wish I had for the lens selection and prices :|

justinleeportland (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
EOS R, 24mm TS-E / RF 35mm 1.8 / RF 28-70 2.0 / EF 16-35 2.8 ii / EF 70-200 2.8 ii / Zhiyun Weebill S

BananaRaw
429 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 31, 2013 04:14 |  #140

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll go to a store and try it out to see how I like the ergonomics of the Nikon. To bad there isn't a store in my country who rents the D600 of 6D..

The D600 has an in camera time lapse function. Is there a way to do this with the Canon?

::: Gear :::
::: Flickr (external link) ::: 500px (external link) ::: Tumblr. (external link) :::

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 31, 2013 04:53 |  #141

It has 97% coverage of a much larger view finder than the rebels. Corrected you as you were wrong.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 31, 2013 08:18 |  #142

lomenak wrote in post #15555096 (external link)
Would be interesting to see what you think about the raws. I dont really care about the ergonomics or operation. My camera is set to MF and is mounted to tripod almost exclusively. The only thing I had to change in my workflow with the D600 was to stop using liveview as it is horrid. It does suck as it is very useful, but none of my DSLRs before the 5Dmk2 had liveview so it is not such a biggie.

I actually use a field monitor which works like a charm on my Nikons. Heck! It even works well on my 5D 3 for aquirung critical focus. The Focus Assist on this monitor is much more useful than using Canon's LV imo.

IMAGE: http://www.darklightimaging.com/img/s1/v56/p1287676356-5.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.darklightimaging.com/img/s2/v59/p1287676310-5.jpg

lomenak
649 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 31, 2013 12:09 as a reply to  @ jdizzle's post |  #143

thats interesting, Jullian. I didnt know you can use these for the focus assist. which one do you have? cheers (sorry for the OT)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,675 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 31, 2013 13:08 |  #144

BananaRaw wrote in post #15555207 (external link)
Thanks for the input everyone! I'll go to a store and try it out to see how I like the ergonomics of the Nikon. To bad there isn't a store in my country who rents the D600 of 6D..

The D600 has an in camera time lapse function. Is there a way to do this with the Canon?

Once Magic Lantern is available for it it'll have that function and many more.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 31, 2013 15:14 |  #145

lomenak wrote in post #15556284 (external link)
thats interesting, Jullian. I didnt know you can use these for the focus assist. which one do you have? cheers (sorry for the OT)

You certainly can. It definitely helps when shooting low to the ground for my landscape shooting but, it will work for anything when you need critical focus. I'm using the SmallHD DP4. It works very well and it's compact for travel. :)

http://www.smallhd.com​/?utm_expid=66535337-10 (external link)

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 31, 2013 15:17 |  #146

Well, it's a Canon. Reason enough for me... :)

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

lomenak
649 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 31, 2013 16:36 |  #147

jdizzle wrote in post #15556972 (external link)
You certainly can. It definitely helps when shooting low to the ground for my landscape shooting but, it will work for anything when you need critical focus. I'm using the SmallHD DP4. It works very well and it's compact for travel. :)

http://www.smallhd.com​/?utm_expid=66535337-10 (external link)

sorry, one more thing:) does this show you only what you can see through the viewfinder or it shows you the "preview" of the picture with your settings? (Canon's LV would show me the preview, even though bit noisy, even when using a 10stop ND filter which was helpful)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 31, 2013 16:45 |  #148

I'm guessing it plugs into the HDMI and that outputs whats on the cameras LCD?

Which has your picture style applied to it.

Magic lantern has a feature to apply another flat picture style to the live perview

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 01, 2013 12:28 |  #149
bannedPermanent ban

hyogen wrote in post #15555181 (external link)
the D600 does have an LCD light. You just flip the on/off switch the other way. I've also read the oil/dust issue is way overblown. I've not seen any issues so far.

That being said, I wouldn't have minded a 6D.. The -3EV center dot focus point is nice....but 1 single cross type point is just stupid. Also, it has pretty much the exact same size viewfinder as a Rebel??! (Correct me if I'm wrong. It has 96% coverage.. Rebels have 95% coverage). Even the 7D has 100% coverage and large viewfinder............​... The wifi remote application is really cool, but it's hard to argue in most points the D600 is a 6D killer. But for what it's worth, I was gonna go with the 6D anyway--almost wish I had for the lens selection and prices :|

The 97% refers to how much of the captured image is displayed in the viewfinder. It does not have anything to do with the perceived size of the image in the viewfinder. I can not tell any difference between the 6D, 5D Mkiii or the Nik 600D as far as viewfinder useability goes. Have never used a Rebel so can not comment on it.

I still frequent the Nikon Cafe and some people are having dust/oil issues. Mine did not in the short time owned, but the sensor did start developing hot/stuck pixels which showed up readily on a dark background. Those can be mapped out but on mine new ones appeared soon after. Just a bad one I guess.

They are both good cameras and as others have said, the choice probably has more to do with what system you already have an investment in. Personally, I think they are both good. I do really like the feel of the 6D in the hand a lot better than the 600D, but that is just my perception.

If there is a bad rap on the 6D, for me it is the stupid 8 way controller within a scroll wheel. Don't know why they did not incorporate the separate joystick the 5D has.

Enjoy your Nik...like I said...both good systems.

-ERJL

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 01, 2013 12:37 |  #150

ERJL wrote in post #15560500 (external link)
Enjoy your Nik...like I said...both good systems.

bw!

[6D]

sponsored links

39,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
any reason to get the 6D over the D600?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.