Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 28 Jan 2013 (Monday) 16:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens got lost in transit.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 30, 2013 11:51 |  #61
bannedPermanent ban

Mistabernie wrote in post #15552209 (external link)
Which is why I don't accept Paypal gift.

Gift is to protect you, the seller more. Regular PayPal is to protect the buyer more, at least on Ebay. As I have mentioned before, regular paypal outside of ebay is still as risky as using paypal gift. The seller can delay shipping your items (at least the seller claims to ship out) until the funds are completely withdrawn from the account. It takes only 3 to 4 days. Once the funds are in the bank account, he or she can withdraw it. How does PayPal go after the seller then????

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 30, 2013 11:57 |  #62

duane0524 wrote in post #15552262 (external link)
I am thinking if they claimed their account was hacked, then you are out the gift payment. That happened to me with an ebay sale of an Itunes card, they paid via regular paypal and I emailed the code. The buyer claimed the account was hacked and me and a few other folks were out the money. My lesson there was to always mail to confirmed address with paypal. Not sure what is required to prove account was hacked, but that person did it.

Exactly what I'm thinking too. This case can go either way, seller or buyer (or Paypal may foot the bill), depending on how Paypal handles the case.

duane0524 wrote in post #15552262 (external link)
nothing beats a little research on the buyer/seller and trust your gut. If it does not feel right, it probably is not.

True but there's another danger that I can think of but perhaps the likelihood of this is very slim (but totally possible). As we all know this site is not encrypted, anyone surfing this site in public (WiFi) network may be prone to sidejacking. Bad guys may be able to sidejack seller's connection to POTN, change password, post as the seller and ask the money to be paypalled to him/her instead of the actual seller.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,229 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 30, 2013 14:44 |  #63

No movement in the delivery confirmation means that the package is still sitting at the post office or truck. If it left the post office, it should say "Out for Delivery".

Another reason like others have said, the package may have the wrong address and post office is validating to see if the address is valid. If not, it will head back to the seller. Usually it's either wrong address on package, address is unreadable or insufficient funds. I had times where it was my mistake where I either wrote the wrong address and it got bounced back to me or the value of shipping was less than the actual cost.

Canon :: R6 | RP | 5D Mark IV
Glass :: RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 16-35 f2.8L II | EF 70-200 f2.8L III | EF 24-70 f2.8L II | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
FEEDBACK
FS: 3D Printed RF 35mm Lens Hood | Custom SLR M-Plate Pro, Alter RFS | SpiderHolster w/Speedbelt and Handstraps

rcheung07
522 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 30, 2013 14:48 |  #64

Never ship lenses or anything expensive without insurance folks :). Lesson learned yet.

Have: 2x Canon 5D Mark III | 15 Fisheye 2.8 | 50 1.2 | 85 1.2 II | 100 Marco 2.8 IS | 16-35 2.8 II | 24-70 2.8 II | 70-200 2.8 IS | 4x 600ex-rt

Kaotic ­ Lazagna
339 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 30, 2013 16:32 |  #65

You guys do know that USPS uses UPS and FedEx planes to transport packages, right? Just saying this because the lost lens could have been lost by either USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

Canon T2i / 18-55mm kit lens / Sigma 30mm f1.4 / Canon 85mm f1.8 / Canon 100mm f2.8

rcheung07
522 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 30, 2013 16:40 |  #66

That's that SMARTPOST fedex to USPS crap. Sigh..... the world is broke. :)

Have: 2x Canon 5D Mark III | 15 Fisheye 2.8 | 50 1.2 | 85 1.2 II | 100 Marco 2.8 IS | 16-35 2.8 II | 24-70 2.8 II | 70-200 2.8 IS | 4x 600ex-rt

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 30, 2013 17:25 |  #67

Kaotic Lazagna wrote in post #15553422 (external link)
You guys do know that USPS uses UPS and FedEx planes to transport packages, right? Just saying this because the lost lens could have been lost by either USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

They also contract out to passenger planes. There are several different ways it could have been lost. Could have even been an employee who wanted to see what was inside... can never trust them :P

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

Kaotic ­ Lazagna
339 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 31, 2013 01:49 |  #68

Ratjack wrote in post #15553624 (external link)
They also contract out to passenger planes. There are several different ways it could have been lost. Could have even been an employee who wanted to see what was inside... can never trust them :P

Yeah, they utilize commercial airlines as well, but since some users were saying they dislike USPS and really like FedEx and/or UPS, I felt it was unnecessary to include commercial airliners in my post ;)

Canon T2i / 18-55mm kit lens / Sigma 30mm f1.4 / Canon 85mm f1.8 / Canon 100mm f2.8

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 31, 2013 16:08 |  #69

This happened to me with an iPod that I bought from eBay. It came to me broken so I sent it back to the seller. The post office lost it, and like an idiot, I didn't get insurance on it. The tracking number said it was ready for shipping, but it never changed status. I contacted the post office four or five different times and each time they blew me off. I tried emailing them, called the head post master, and went in twice. Each time I'd get a response, and then it would follow with "we'll contact you in one business day" or something similar. I never got a second response. ;/

revluke
438 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 31, 2013 22:53 as a reply to  @ Kwirk's post |  #70

Wow, i freaked out when I first saw this post, but realized that the OP is who I sent my 7d to, not a lens... But I bought delivery confirmation and insurance. Also, FYI, any flat rate box shipping via USPS now includes delivery confirmation in the pricing as of Monday.
Glad my 7d got through fine!

5dIII | 70d | Rokinon 14 | 16-35 f4 IS | 40 2.8 | s50A | 70-200 2.8 IS II | 100 f2 | s120-300S | sigma 2x | 600EX-RT

jason118
129 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 01, 2013 08:01 |  #71

The flat rate delivery confirmation means nothing if you ship via USPS without paying insurance. A seller refunded me full recently for lost a $10 package. My security cam showed the mail man dropped off the mails except the lost package on the same day.I went to my local post office and complained they lost my package. The PO manager told me he couldn't do anything about it cuz the package been scanned and marked delivered in their system. He suggested me report the incident to the local Police deppartment if I believed the package been stolen.

Canon EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D, Canon 24-70 F2.8 II, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS II, Canon 85mm F1.2 II, Canon 24-105mm IS, Canon 100mm F2.8 IS macro, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Canon 1.4X III

convergent
Goldmember
2,209 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 02, 2013 11:16 |  #72

A couple of things come to mind...

First, using Paypal gift to save a few bucks is not wise, for the seller or buyer. The seller should decide if they want to offer Paypal, and if they do they should reflect it in their price. Items will generally sell quicker and for a higher price with Paypal vs money order. It's worth the cost to me. Fred Miranda last week posted a thread in his buy/sell forum advising his forum members to never use Paypal gift. I'm guessing he's had a lot of scam victims come complaining to him.

Second, someone mentioned Amazon uses USPS for free shipping. I've bought hundreds of things through Amazon and most itns have been shipped UPS. Only very tiny items or Amazon Marketplace have one USPS.

Lastly, one thing that may have happened was an old label was left on a recycled box. I just had this happen with USPS. My wife shipped one things to my daughter priority mail, and she lives only about 150 miles away. The pack didn't arrive as planned. Two weeks later it showed up back here. I looked at the package and found that she never removed the label on the other side of the box where it was shipped from a vendor in China to me. So depending on which side of the box was facing up, it could have been going back and forth. I ship a lot and always make sure boxes are clean before labeling, and haven't had something get lost in 10 years.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 07, 2013 21:55 |  #73

bps wrote in post #15545450 (external link)
Moose,

If I were in the OPs shoes, and all the facts are true, I would not split the cost with the seller. Why? Because it's the seller's responsibility to insure an item so they are fully covered until the item is delivered safe and sound. If they don't insure it, then they have to accept the loss if the item is never delivered. Insurance can be pricy, but it's a gamble or calculated risk if you choose not to get it.

The buyer has no financial responsibility until the item is delivered without damage.

Bryan

i disagree.

i had a guy swear he never received an ebay item from me. he asked me what he should do. i told him to file a complaint with ebay/paypal and i would honor their findings.

the package was not insured -- we both knew that up front -- and he never requested that it be insured but it did have delivery confirmation.

the delivery confirmation showed that the package had been delivered. ebay immediately found i was not at fault and ruled in my favor. later that day the buyer found out that someone in his family had received the package, and he left positive feedback for me.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sponsored links

7,740 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens got lost in transit.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.