Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jan 2013 (Wednesday) 21:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS M vs. NEX 7 Comparison

botw
Goldmember
1,149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 30, 2013 21:38 |  #1

I have (temporarily) both a NEX 7 and an EOS M so thought I would do some comparisons. Both are very nice cameras, but I think will appeal to different sorts of users. The Canon is better than the reputation it has gotten on various camera forums, but yes, the AF performance leaves something to be desired. Basically, Canon could have omitted the AI Servo, it doesn't work. That said, I loved the feature that enables you to zoom in x10 and focus (AF or MF) on a fine spot. Single shot, flexible spot AF worked pretty well. Using the touch to shoot seemed quite quick. The M build quality is excellent. The lack of built in flash is a downer for when you want fill flash. While the 90ex flash is tiny, it adds considerably to the M bulk. It will, however, act as a master to any modern Canon flash (it worked well with my 430ex II for example). The adapter worked well with my 50 1.4, but AF wasn't as fast or smooth without the STM lenses.

The NEX 7 has been around for a while now, but is still Sony's top of the line mirrorless body, boasting a 24mp sensor (compared to Canon's 18mp). It has a hugely customizable tri-navi system, but is encumbered by an awful menu system. Sony really needs to get somebody to straighten that out.

IQ from both cameras was very good. Both can go toe to toe with any APS-C dslr on the market in the IQ department. (They just can't AF with one). I shot comparisons from both with the standard Sony 18-55 OSS and the Canon 18-55 STM. I also threw in a few from the Canon 22mm. I'd never really found the Sony 18-55 lacking when I had a 5N, but I think the 7 is more demanding. In any case, the Canon lens seemed to be the better performer. The Canon M defaulted to a slightly warmer white balance (both were shot on AWB) and also seemed to expose slightly darker for the same exposure settings.

Although Sony has better sensors than Canon with respect to dynamic range, the 24MP showed in a higher noise pattern for the Sony. I suspect down-sampling the images will even this out, but I didn't have time to try that.
ISO 3200 comparison:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

This sample, at 55mm on each kit lens, but with the popup on the 7 and the 90ex on the M, shows the Canon lens to be a bit better IMO:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

I have a full gallery of samples and comparison shots here: http://www.gc5photogra​phy.com …-Shootout/27797271_Mpqz​85 (external link)

All in all, both are very nice cameras. I think the 7 needs to be used with better lenses than the 18-55 to get the most out of it. It is more full-featured and has outstanding resolution. On the downside, it's larger, noiser, and can be hard to figure out (steeper learning curve). I don't think anyone who has a 7 should switch to the M. I think they would find it frustrating. But for anyone buying into a new system, it's worth a look - provided Canon continues to support it with new lenses and products.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

sponsored links
vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 31, 2013 09:50 |  #2

Interesting. I also found that the EOS-M kit lenses are high quality. For example: the 18-55 EF-M is about the same quality as the 15-85 EF-S and almost as good as 17-55 EF-S at similar apertures.

But I want more lenses for the system, at least there should be a 35mm prime.

And I want a similar Speed-booster for the Canon mirrorless.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 31, 2013 10:00 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

In the first example you have exact same time of day for both pics and cameras ..
in the second there is over a minute difference.
Look fishy to me ..

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,572 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 31, 2013 10:29 as a reply to  @ EL_PIC's post |  #4

Also first comparison has 1/500s shutter speed for EOS M and 1/800s for NEX 7.

Mark

botw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 31, 2013 10:54 |  #5

Yeah I was shooting on aperture priority and probably should have shot manual. Could have been a slight difference in focus point leading the camera to select a different exposure, or could have just been a difference in the exposure choices. The difference in exposure - the 7 is slightly underexposed - likely contributes meaningfully to the noise difference. Oh well - I'm not running a lab out of my home office... if I had noticed right away, I would have reshot it, but the 7 is now sold and off to a new owner.

El Pic - I don't know why you would think that's fishy.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 31, 2013 11:52 |  #6

botw wrote in post #15554494 (external link)
I have (temporarily) both a NEX 7 and an EOS M so thought I would do some comparisons. Both are very nice cameras, but I think will appeal to different sorts of users. The Canon is better than the reputation it has gotten on various camera forums, but yes, the AF performance leaves something to be desired. Basically, Canon could have omitted the AI Servo, it doesn't work. That said, I loved the feature that enables you to zoom in x10 and focus (AF or MF) on a fine spot. Single shot, flexible spot AF worked pretty well. Using the touch to shoot seemed quite quick. The M build quality is excellent. The lack of built in flash is a downer for when you want fill flash. While the 90ex flash is tiny, it adds considerably to the M bulk. It will, however, act as a master to any modern Canon flash (it worked well with my 430ex II for example). The adapter worked well with my 50 1.4, but AF wasn't as fast or smooth without the STM lenses.

The NEX 7 has been around for a while now, but is still Sony's top of the line mirrorless body, boasting a 24mp sensor (compared to Canon's 18mp). It has a hugely customizable tri-navi system, but is encumbered by an awful menu system. Sony really needs to get somebody to straighten that out.

IQ from both cameras was very good. Both can go toe to toe with any APS-C dslr on the market in the IQ department. (They just can't AF with one). I shot comparisons from both with the standard Sony 18-55 OSS and the Canon 18-55 STM. I also threw in a few from the Canon 22mm. I'd never really found the Sony 18-55 lacking when I had a 5N, but I think the 7 is more demanding. In any case, the Canon lens seemed to be the better performer. The Canon M defaulted to a slightly warmer white balance (both were shot on AWB) and also seemed to expose slightly darker for the same exposure settings.

Although Sony has better sensors than Canon with respect to dynamic range, the 24MP showed in a higher noise pattern for the Sony. I suspect down-sampling the images will even this out, but I didn't have time to try that.
ISO 3200 comparison:
IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

This sample, at 55mm on each kit lens, but with the popup on the 7 and the 90ex on the M, shows the Canon lens to be a bit better IMO:
IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

I have a full gallery of samples and comparison shots here: http://www.gc5photogra​phy.com …-Shootout/27797271_Mpqz​85 (external link)

All in all, both are very nice cameras. I think the 7 needs to be used with better lenses than the 18-55 to get the most out of it. It is more full-featured and has outstanding resolution. On the downside, it's larger, noiser, and can be hard to figure out (steeper learning curve). I don't think anyone who has a 7 should switch to the M. I think they would find it frustrating. But for anyone buying into a new system, it's worth a look - provided Canon continues to support it with new lenses and products.

thx for the comparison

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 31, 2013 11:54 |  #7

The ISO 3200 example shows 2/3 stop underexposure on the sony, which can easily account for more noise. (1/500 vs 1/800 shutter speed)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Jan 31, 2013 18:15 |  #8

vaflower wrote in post #15555822 (external link)

There is - the 22mm f/2 is 35mm equivalent and is an excellent lens

Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

Ember42
43 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 31, 2013 19:09 |  #9

vaflower wrote in post #15555822 (external link)

And the 40mm f2.8 with the adapter might as well be built for the system. It's still smaller than the kit, and with the STM focuses similar to the 22mm.

botw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 31, 2013 21:27 |  #10

The 40 works great on the M. Here's my M lineup (taken with the 22mm), three lenses - three mounts:

IMAGE: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-m4sWzvs/0/L/i-m4sWzvs-L.jpg

capt3450
138 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 01, 2013 00:24 |  #11

Ember42 wrote in post #15557782 (external link)
And the 40mm f2.8 with the adapter might as well be built for the system. It's still smaller than the kit, and with the STM focuses similar to the 22mm.

+1
I found the 40mm STM indeed is good mate for the little M guy if you have the EOS adapter:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8475/8433885657_1ee1fc5320_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8359/8434970810_9b94bb12ce_b.jpg

liked the OP, I have found the EOS-M's ISO noise is much cleaner (also smoother) than my other NEX-5N and Lumix GH-2 mirrorless camera (which I still have those)

-capt3450

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 01, 2013 00:49 |  #12

So Canon is Late to the Party?

Check this for yourself. Very funny. LINK (external link)

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,572 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Feb 01, 2013 01:04 |  #13

samsen wrote in post #15558825 (external link)
So Canon is Late to the Party?

Check this for yourself. Very funny. LINK (external link)

HAHAHA...Cool video.

Mark

sponsored links

4,000 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M vs. NEX 7 Comparison
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.