Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2013 (Friday) 02:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

aps-c being killed off by canon ?

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,923 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 01, 2013 09:05 |  #31

JohnB57 wrote in post #15559588 (external link)
Hi Sunbeam. The original point was the possibility of Canon restricting crop sensors to the Rebel/XXXD line. I don't think it's imaginable that they would dump the format altogether.

And the M line and the xxD line. Just nothing in the xD line.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 01, 2013 09:10 as a reply to  @ post 15559588 |  #32

A fair number of Canon users claim that they would not consider changing systems because of their investment in EF lenses. For those with ASP-C cameras, that includes EF-S lenses. Making the latter unusable to professional and semi-pro users unless they want to stick with 2009 technology will, I would predict, lead to more serious consideration of switching to another brand.

Personally, I think that a 7D2 will be announced, and it will be ASP-C. The 7D has sold too well as a crop for Canon to ignore and, as others have pointed out, a FF 7D2 would be redundant with the current offerings.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

mark2009
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 01, 2013 10:02 as a reply to  @ pknight's post |  #33

The way prices are dropping on the 7D, around $1200 New, I think it makes sense a 7Dmkii
will enter the market at what the original 7d, and even the 50D entered the market around $1800....then people can make a choice between 6D FF, or a Sports Shooter 7D, 10 fps..etc...etc...., same price point but different target market.......then we will all discuss if the extra $600 from mki to mk ii is worth the improvements.

Just my thought.....

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 01, 2013 10:24 |  #34

Ben Rubinstein wrote in post #15559015 (external link)
Got a feeling from what he said that APC is going to the M line and digital rebels but everything else will be FF. Not a bad idea either.

This is how I read it.

I think that regardless of sensor size, component costs for the sensor itself will be less of an issue in the future. However, the physical size of a camera will continue to be a limitation in what type of sensor can be implemented (just look at cellphone cameras).

It therefore makes sense to put the smaller APS-C sensors in the smaller cameras (Rebels, EOS-M), and upgrade all the full-sized SLRs to full frame. Price differences among those cameras will mainly result from sophistication of AF systems and processors, control interface, and other bells and whistles like wireless and GPS. This is not unlike the T3i, 60D, and 7D trio. All use essentially identical 18 MP APS-C sensors. The main differences lie in the electronics packages implemented in each, AF systems, and user interface. Customers can pick whichever one works best for them, and always get good clean images from the same type of sensor.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 01, 2013 10:34 |  #35

Canon's profits are down 30%, and they already make a full frame 7DmkII it's just labeled the 1DX. And if I had to purchase a 1DX and lenses that were 1.6x longer with the same aperture then I'd be spending way more than 30%....which of course would put me out of the market and I'd be stuck with something made for landscapers and has built in wifi and GPS, which is oh so handy shooting indoor sports.

However I've seen many threads on this Canon Centric forum, that would indicate the higher quality APS-C line is loosing out to Nikon because of the noise performance. When I traveled to Disney in the fall I easily saw 50 Nikon entry level DSLRs for every other Canon I saw (mine + 3 others the whole trip). Much emphasis is put into the EF-S line that has a few decent zooms and many mediocre ones, but there hasn't been a nifty 35 or other lenses that help blur the gap between the lenses at an entry price point from Canon the way Nikon has done it. Nikon also has much more frequent brand defined advertising to get people into the door. Ashton walking around a party of elites, with which ever DSLR, Mirrorless or point n shoot they want to feature.
They spend a lot of time talking about the EOS M which was late to the party priced higher than the competitors and offered middle of the road nothing innovative features, so it is basically the point in shoot for those dedicated to canon in the western markets.

'That's something we're considering at the moment. From our semi-pro users there's still demand for APS-C but in the future, I think we will see an increase in the number of full-frame models.'

And here's a link to the article for those interested in reading the whole story.
http://www.dpreview.co​m …-with-canons-masaya-maeda (external link)

I can see how for Canon the semi-pro line is in doubt, I just hope it sticks around long enough that I'll be able to justify going full pro before they dump it.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 01, 2013 11:31 |  #36

gjl711 wrote in post #15559673 (external link)
The idea isn't a flop, Canon's implementation is. They came to the party late and they came with a very weak offering. Canon, wake the 'eff up or your gonna have another year like 2012.

Amen!
I LOVE the idea and actually had one on order til I did some further reading and a few trusted sources picked it apart.

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 01, 2013 12:11 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

talbot_sunbeam wrote in post #15559572 (external link)
Canon wouldn't be investing in making EF-S lenses if they were giving up the APS-C format.

They are not giving up on it. They are reserving the APS-C format for the entry level cameras...rebels and EOS-M. They are using full frame for the pro-sumer and professional level cameras.

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,163 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 01, 2013 12:17 |  #38

They would tick me off like crazy if they made the 7D FF.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 01, 2013 12:48 |  #39

They need to offer more for the people to keep spending money.

Full frame sensors don't cost much more to make than APS-c. It's just a larger chunk of silicone - the processing is the same.

Either they'll give you an extra stop of ISO on APS-c or if they can't do that, they'll give you a full frame in prosumer body. Why not make a profit if people would buy them for 1500 bucks?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 01, 2013 12:50 |  #40

How does one interpret " 'From our semi-pro users there's still demand for APS-C but in the future, I think we will see an increase in the number of full-frame models.' as "We're stopping putting APS-C in the semi-pro line-up."

"There will be an increase in full-frame models" does not mean "There will be only full-frame models".

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 01, 2013 12:54 |  #41

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15560581 (external link)
Full frame sensors don't cost much more to make than APS-c. It's just a larger chunk of silicone - the processing is the same.

Full-frame sensors do cost a lot more to make that APS-C. According to one source (external link) it's a factor of 20!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,923 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 01, 2013 13:01 |  #42

hollis_f wrote in post #15560598 (external link)
Full-frame sensors do cost a lot more to make that APS-C. According to one source (external link) it's a factor of 20!

Canons full frame white paper says the same.
http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …rame_CMOS_White​_Paper.pdf (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

bobfather
57 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 01, 2013 13:11 |  #43

It has been said already, but FF sensors (at the moment) are much more expensive to produce than an APS-C sized sensor.

And that's the real reason that Canon will simply not get rid of APS-C - the entire line of cameras, from the lowliest Rebel all the way up to the 7D (and future 7D2 or 70D) are cheap, sell like hotcakes, and have good profit margins.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 01, 2013 13:23 |  #44

hollis_f wrote in post #15560587 (external link)
How does one interpret " 'From our semi-pro users there's still demand for APS-C but in the future, I think we will see an increase in the number of full-frame models.' as "We're stopping putting APS-C in the semi-pro line-up."

"There will be an increase in full-frame models" does not mean "There will be only full-frame models".

You are right in an absolute sense that he is not saying what many are assuming. But I think you also have to factor in the "some day" comment about a 70D and no mention at all of a 7DII. At best I think we may see one more iteration of the 7D with an APS-C sensor, but I think that quote is corporate-speak for "no more cropped semi-pro cameras". We are being eased in to the transition...

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 01, 2013 13:47 |  #45

mpix345 wrote in post #15560725 (external link)
But I think you also have to factor in the "some day" comment about a 70D and no mention at all of a 7DII.

Er, why? He was specifically asked about the 70D, so he specifically replied about the 70D.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

25,771 views & 0 likes for this thread, 73 members have posted to it and it is followed by 3 members.
aps-c being killed off by canon ?
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.