Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Feb 2013 (Friday) 17:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please suggest a wireless flash trigger

rndman
961 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 01, 2013 17:10 |  #1

To go with 5D Mark III (or 7D) and 580EXII and 430EX
Supports ETTL
Range up to max 30m
Reasonably priced..

I know this information may be buried somewhere on the forum.
If you have it handy, please recommend...

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 01, 2013 17:31 |  #2

Read: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1212530

More important, find the user Cliveyboy and download the user guide he has researched and written.

It will be very useful.

There are other options but none that are better, especially for the investment.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 01, 2013 20:29 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #3

It depends on what you consider reasonably priced, I would agree none are better than the YN-622C for the minimum price :-)

I put a guide to the TTL radio triggers up here if that may be of help -

http://flashhavoc.com/​flash-trigger-guide-ttl/ (external link)

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

rndman
THREAD ­ STARTER
961 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 01, 2013 20:44 |  #4

elv wrote in post #15562211 (external link)
It depends on what you consider reasonably priced, I would agree none are better than the YN-622C for the minimum price :-)

I put a guide to the TTL radio triggers up here if that may be of help -

http://flashhavoc.com/​flash-trigger-guide-ttl/ (external link)

Yes. I am reading that thread about YN622 as the other poster suggested.
Seems to be the one to go for...

Thank you both of you..

Flickr (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 01, 2013 21:07 as a reply to  @ rndman's post |  #5

Well if I had a 5DIII I would spend a little extra on a nicer trigger like the Phottix Odin too :-)

The YN-622C won't control manual power levels on the 430ex, and they don't mix ETTL and manaul. They are great for the price, but there are nicer options available if you can spend a bit more.

rndman
THREAD ­ STARTER
961 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 02, 2013 11:39 |  #6

elv wrote in post #15562356 (external link)
Well if I had a 5DIII I would spend a little extra on a nicer trigger like the Phottix Odin too :-)

The YN-622C won't control manual power levels on the 430ex, and they don't mix ETTL and manaul. They are great for the price, but there are nicer options available if you can spend a bit more.

Thanks. But for that kind of money ($300+), wouldn't ST-E3-RT makes more sense?

Edit : Yeah. I know. It wouldn't work even with 580EX II...

Flickr (external link)

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 02, 2013 16:55 |  #7

rndman wrote in post #15564076 (external link)
Thanks. But for that kind of money ($300+), wouldn't ST-E3-RT makes more sense?

Edit : Yeah. I know. It wouldn't work even with 580EX II...

The 622cs work just fine with my 580EXII and my YN568EXs. They are spectacular triggers (regardless of the price).

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 02, 2013 18:27 as a reply to  @ Roroco's post |  #8

The YN-622C are brilliant triggers, but they are still made to a price. I'd still have a lot more confidence in the Odin for something more critical, not to mention the much better interface for manual power use.

Some people have been happy to use the 622 for weddings etc, others moved on fairly quickly. If you're confident to deal with any issue quickly is probably no problem either way, but many people are not that technically minded, they just want things to work without having to worry about that.

Moppie
14,847 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 02, 2013 18:33 |  #9

elv wrote in post #15565408 (external link)
The YN-622C are brilliant triggers, but they are still made to a price. I'd still have a lot more confidence in the Odin for something more critical, not to mention the much better interface for manual power use.

Some people have been happy to use the 622 for weddings etc, others moved on fairly quickly. If you're confident to deal with any issue quickly is probably no problem either way, but many people are not that technically minded, they just want things to work without having to worry about that.

Yip, the Phottix Odin is a more complete product and considerably better engineered.
I've yet to have a miss fire and being able to adjust everything from the camera quickly is fantastic.
Also a great way of impressing customers.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links

1,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please suggest a wireless flash trigger
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.