Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2013 (Friday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally got a 60D, now some initial questions

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 01, 2013 15:44 |  #1

I was finally able to buy a 60D, battery is currently on the charger. I got it with the 18-135mm kit lens, a 32gb class10 card, and a polarizer filter.

1. Is there some sort of a car charger for the battery? I know I can find an answer but maybe someone will have a good suggestion that I might overlook.

2. Can I use the flash unit I have from my ancient Canon AE-1 film camera on the 60D? This will just be until I can save up for some new lighting gear.

3. Any recommendations for a remote shutter release? I know that my old film camera shutter cables won't work.

4. What are the initial basic accessories that I should get? I'm thinking one of those RocketFish blowers or something and other stuff that might not transfer well from my film gear to this digital world.

5. (left blank because I was thinking of something but it slipped my mind at the moment)

Thanks for any input. I'll be reading my way through the 60D threads as I have time.

oh yeah: 5. Any recommendations for rain/snow gear for the camera and lens? I tend to get caught outside in wet conditions at times while playing with photography and want to have something handy that I can keep handy in a camera bag or coat pocket.

edit to add #6:
6. I've picked up some old Canon EOS film cameras at thrift shops with various lenses on them over the last few years. I there any chance that I'll damage or blow up something in the 60D if I try those old lenses on the camera? Two are Canon's ( short zoom and a cheap mid-range zoom, one is a Sigma short zoom, and one is a clone "white body" longer zoom). All the lenses seem to work on the EOS film cameras so I thought I might play with them on the 60D if they won't cause any harm.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

sponsored links
4100xpb
66 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 01, 2013 16:15 |  #2

I've had my 60D pretty much since they first came out. It's been a great camera, I hope you get as much out of yours as I have.

1. Don't know
2. The flashes from the AE-1 will work, but they will only operate on full manual mode or automatic mode if they have self-contained exposure control. You will have to set the camera fully manually, and will get no E-TTL metering. If you like doing manual flash metering, you can do fine with it. If you don't, go and get an ETTL speedlite.

3. I'm looking for one of these now too.

4. I don't think there's much digital specific stuff you need if you had a well equipped film set-up. Filters, tripods, bags and what not all will work fine with the new gear. You'll need management/editing software if you don't already have some, check the Post-processing forum for suggestions there.

5. I use mine regularly in light rain, just keeping it in my jacket or the bag when I'm not actually taking a picture. B&H and company have plenty of different rain covers. If you want cheap and portable though, a small plastic (e.g. garbage) bag with holes cut through for the lens/viewfinder works well.

6. If it's a Canon (i.e. manufactured by Canon proper) EF lens, it will work on the 60D. Off brand EF mount lenses that work on the film cameras in theory should work on the 60D, but all the usual warnings and disclaimers about using non-canon lenses on canon cameras apply.

gv0861
207 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 01, 2013 16:16 |  #3

treebound wrote in post #15561323 (external link)
I was finally able to buy a 60D, battery is currently on the charger. I got it with the 18-135mm kit lens, a 32gb class10 card, and a polarizer filter.
Hi, I have a 60D as well and I can answer some of your questions, so here we go:
1. Is there some sort of a car charger for the battery? I know I can find an answer but maybe someone will have a good suggestion that I might overlook.
The battery on the 60D is awesome. I use a grip and can shoot for an entire day and not worry about charging it. Of course, using flash will drain your battery faster but I have never thought about a car charger
2. Can I use the flash unit I have from my ancient Canon AE-1 film camera on the 60D? This will just be until I can save up for some new lighting gear.I read somewhere that these flashes can damage your camera so I stopped using my old Vivitar flash which I also used with my AE-1 Therefore I would not suggest that you use it with your 60D

3. Any recommendations for a remote shutter release? I know that my old film camera shutter cables won't work. Check amazon. I do not use one, nor do I need to but I have seen some that are pretty reasonable. B&H also has some good deals.

4. What are the initial basic accessories that I should get? I'm thinking one of those RocketFish blowers or something and other stuff that might not transfer well from my film gear to this digital world.

5. (left blank because I was thinking of something but it slipped my mind at the moment)Good, because I could not think of an answer :D

Thanks for any input. I'll be reading my way through the 60D threads as I have time.

oh yeah: 5. Any recommendations for rain/snow gear for the camera and lens? I tend to get caught outside in wet conditions at times while playing with photography and want to have something handy that I can keep handy in a camera bag or coat pocket.I use plastic bags and rubber bands but I only have to deal with some rain and drizzle.

edit to add #6:
6. I've picked up some old Canon EOS film cameras at thrift shops with various lenses on them over the last few years. I there any chance that I'll damage or blow up something in the 60D if I try those old lenses on the camera? Two are Canon's ( short zoom and a cheap mid-range zoom, one is a Sigma short zoom, and one is a clone "white body" longer zoom). All the lenses seem to work on the EOS film cameras so I thought I might play with them on the 60D if they won't cause any harm.I use FD lenses with an adaptor and get very interesting results. Here is a good place to start doing some investigation : http://photo.net …gital-camera-forum/00aXRO (external link)

You are going to love the 60D. It is an awesome camera. Prepare for the addictive behavior that is bound to follow.

Looking for light in all the right places.

treebound
THREAD ­ STARTER
547 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 01, 2013 16:30 |  #4

Interesting about using an FD lens, so I might be able to use my old favorite 50mm f1.4 lens, that could be interesting. Will check out the link from home this weekend.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

=====

gv0861
207 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 01, 2013 17:29 as a reply to  @ treebound's post |  #5

Here is a link for the FD lens adapter.
http://www.amazon.com …&sr=8-6&keywords=fotodiox (external link)
It takes a bit of practice to use it right, but once you do you can get some nice pictures.

Looking for light in all the right places.

Phobosx13x
70 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 01, 2013 19:18 |  #6

For car charging get something like this (external link).

I don't have that particular one, but one like it. Works great on cameras, laptops, phones, etc.

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 02, 2013 07:47 as a reply to  @ Phobosx13x's post |  #7

treebound wrote in post #15561509 (external link)
Interesting about using an FD lens, so I might be able to use my old favorite 50mm f1.4 lens, that could be interesting. Will check out the link from home this weekend.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

gv0861 wrote in post #15561692 (external link)
Here is a link for the FD lens adapter.
http://www.amazon.com …&sr=8-6&keywords=fotodiox (external link)
It takes a bit of practice to use it right, but once you do you can get some nice pictures.

You will probably take a bit of a hit on image quality with one of those adapters. The original Canon one is meant to be quite good but costs a fortune and is extremely rare.

Kev

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 02, 2013 08:07 |  #8

2. Can I use the flash unit I have from my ancient Canon AE-1 film camera on the 60D? This will just be until I can save up for some new lighting gear.

3. Any recommendations for a remote shutter release? I know that my old film camera shutter cables won't work.

5. (left blank because I was thinking of something but it slipped my mind at the moment)

oh yeah: 5. Any recommendations for rain/snow gear for the camera and lens? I tend to get caught outside in wet conditions at times while playing with photography and want to have something handy that I can keep handy in a camera bag or coat pocket.

edit to add #6:
6. I've picked up some old Canon EOS film cameras at thrift shops with various lenses on them over the last few years. I there any chance that I'll damage or blow up something in the 60D if I try those old lenses on the camera? Two are Canon's ( short zoom and a cheap mid-range zoom, one is a Sigma short zoom, and one is a clone "white body" longer zoom). All the lenses seem to work on the EOS film cameras so I thought I might play with them on the 60D if they won't cause any harm.

1. Yes, there are loads.. google your closest camera dealer
2. It will work, but just work.. with not TTL/E-TTL it just fires a flash
3. I use a thirdparty one.. since i rarely use one, i got the cheapest.
4. Cleaning kit, good and sturdy camerabag, slingstrap, tripod, extra battery
5. Now you have a mid-level "pro" camera that are just as good as 7D/5D.. for the next years you should invest in good glas. EF preferably for when you move to FF.

Enjoy your 60D.. i know i do.. EVERY DAY (only time it's not with me is in the shower)

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 02, 2013 08:11 |  #9

Any recommendations for rain/snow gear for the camera and lens? I tend to get caught outside in wet conditions at times while playing with photography and want to have something handy that I can keep handy in a camera bag or coat pocket.

The Op/Tech Rainsleeve. (external link)

treebound
THREAD ­ STARTER
547 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 02, 2013 09:31 |  #10

I checked the local craigslist and see several 55-250 ef-s lenses on there, thinking that one of those would work if I want longer reach and if the longzoom off-brand one that I currently have doesn't work. But initially, now that I've had some sleep (camera was next to the bed but not in the bed :) ), initially I'm just going to take some time to get acclimated to the camera and learn how to really use it. I will stop at the bookstore and get a 60D book since those are a bit easier to read through than the Canon manual.

I put the Canon neck strap on last night, but will probably replace it with one from one of my film cameras that isn't so loud, or I'll just get used to it. And for a carry bag I think I'm going to use one of my older bags that don't scream "steal me" like some newer bags do.

When I lived near Seattle I got pretty good shooting one handed while holding an umbrella in the rain. But I will look into those rainsleeves. And in the mean time I'm going to focus on learning the camera.

=====

clb
302 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 02, 2013 09:56 |  #11

The 55-250 (nifty - two fifty) is a sweet lens for the $$. If you can get one do so. :) Was the first lens i bought.

Chuck
Canon 7D 50D 40D(X-2) -Gripped, 600D T3I -Gripped, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD, Tamron 90mm Macro, YN565EX Flash,YN-622C trigs

treebound
THREAD ­ STARTER
547 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 02, 2013 10:28 |  #12

The 55-250's seem to be $75-$125 locally.

I just tried two of the other lenses I have, focusing is slow and image quality is probably not the greatest, but for grandkid soccer/baseball/track they will work for me to test out what lens lengths I eventually want to upgrade to.
First is a Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II, seems to work okay.
Second spare is a white body Vivitar Series 1 100-400mm 1:4.5-6.7 MC, focusing is slow and the zoom walks just by looking at it, but it will help me to see if I want a 400mm for sports and animals. Will probably just use this one on a tripod with manual focusing. Good thing is it uses a 67mm filter and has a skylight 1B on it so I can use that skylight if I'm in a misty/salty area on my 18-135 lens, and I can share the polarizer between them.
The 75-300 uses a 58mm filter.

I might contact the seller with the $75 lens anyway, then I can try to sell these spares eventually.

Anyway, thanks again for the inputs and suggestions.

=====

clb
302 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 02, 2013 10:38 |  #13

I wouldn't recommend the Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II. Its really a poor quality lens and for the most part produces poor quality images. you can get lots of comments re this lens if you do a search on POTN.

Chuck
Canon 7D 50D 40D(X-2) -Gripped, 600D T3I -Gripped, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD, Tamron 90mm Macro, YN565EX Flash,YN-622C trigs

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,055 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 02, 2013 10:59 |  #14

Unless you have some specific reason, don' waste money on a car charger. My 60d hss delivered about 500 images and only been at 40%. Most of that was landscape type stuff, no flash, minimaluse of sceen except to check an image. I would suggest you consider a spare battery. Likely a SterlingTek off amazon would go for $20.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,055 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 02, 2013 11:02 |  #15

Check http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …s/eos_60d_tutor​ials.shtml (external link) for some excellent tutorials Canon has put together.

sponsored links

2,826 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finally got a 60D, now some initial questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.