Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Jan 2013 (Friday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lost a client

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,209 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 18, 2013 13:56 |  #46

tbsguy18 wrote in post #15505550 (external link)
Ok...sexist or not, that was pretty funny.
bw!

Tongue in cheek sexism I assure you.

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 18, 2013 14:09 |  #47

I wouldn't want those cheapskates as clients anyway.

Gear List

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 19, 2013 13:02 |  #48

tbsguy18 wrote in post #15475700 (external link)
And her fiancés sister is going to take the pictures since she just got a camera for Christmas. FRUSTRATION!!!

I don't know anything about you or your photography skills, but it seems like people are seeing you as just another person with a camera so you are being replaced by another person with a big camera thinking that it's just the camera making the photos.

Somehow you have to separate yourself from being just another person with a big camera.

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,685 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2013 14:25 |  #49

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #15508711 (external link)
Somehow you have to separate yourself from being just another person with a big camera.

Yep .. and if a bigger camera doesn't work, try a bigger lens!
It's what works for me ........... ;)

IMAGE: http://thatsyourteam.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/big-camera-lens.jpg

MidnightUK
160 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 30, 2013 16:09 |  #50

Tell people you don't do this sort of job for friends/relatives any more as you have been let down too many times by people you thought were reliable. Being honest is sometimes the best way.

cnhoffma
412 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 01, 2013 13:31 |  #51

awad wrote in post #15475712 (external link)
having contracts would solve this for you.

This.

I got stiffed for a job because he didn't like how some faces were out-of-focus during a dimly lit bat-mitzvah. I didn't have a contract and I didn't want to try to litigate over $400. Worst of all, he's a photographer who owns this company http://www.insyncpd.co​m/photo.php (external link). Also, he's a douchebag.

My policy is a contract or I get paid in full the day of the shoot. I'll do some jobs for free, but I don't give them the whole nine yards.

I have a name and some gear.

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 02, 2013 16:01 |  #52

the problem with a referral from a friend of a friend is that they usually expect it to be free like it might have been for the friend. They'll agree over the phone or in person and then flake later when they had to pay. I think it's rediculous when a friend comes up and asks if you can shoot something for them and then how much will you charge me? The give you the opportunity to name your price, but if it's anything except free they are disappointed.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

Furlan
739 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 02, 2013 16:49 |  #53

Kronie wrote in post #15498197 (external link)
Absolutely...my two year old has it down....

QUOTED IMAGE

I often wonder why do I read all this trivial crap on some of these threads. Then I hit
a post like this and I just smile.

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 02, 2013 17:27 |  #54

Glumpy, we're not just here to do a job, or make ourselves look like we're God's photography gifts to mankind. We're here to create unforgettable memories for the bride, groom, and guests. If they (guests) want to create memories for themselves, I say go for it. As long as they aren't getting in the way.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 02, 2013 21:56 |  #55

D. Vance wrote in post #15565196 (external link)
Glumpy, we're not just here to do a job, or make ourselves look like we're God's photography gifts to mankind. We're here to create unforgettable memories for the bride, groom, and guests. If they (guests) want to create memories for themselves, I say go for it. As long as they aren't getting in the way.

Actually, I am there to do a job. By having someone looking like they work for me without maintaining the standards of myself and my business, Could reflect badly on me. Guests shooting is one thing, Telling a guest to shoot with you "because you needed a second shooter anyways" is inviting disaster into the mix.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 02, 2013 22:17 |  #56

So her friend JUST got a camera for christmas and she is going to let them do the pictures? Well she will be getting pictures that are shot in auto mode with a pop-up flash. Hope she likes flat images. She is the one that will have to live with them.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 02, 2013 23:36 |  #57

awad wrote in post #15566066 (external link)
Actually, I am there to do a job. By having someone looking like they work for me without maintaining the standards of myself and my business, Could reflect badly on me. Guests shooting is one thing, Telling a guest to shoot with you "because you needed a second shooter anyways" is inviting disaster into the mix.

No, I wouldn't want their pictures, but if I read right, he was saying that guests aren't allowed to shoot if he is shooting. -Edit- maybe I read wrong... It was just the impression that I had gotten. I just re-read it.- ;)

Yes, we do our job, but we shouldn't only do that; try to be a nice guy, be easy to get along with. Sometimes being a nice pro gets you a whole lot farther than being a stuck up pro. I imagine not allowing guests to shoot at all would make people quite unhappy. Picture the bride down the road, talking to a friend who is getting married:
"He had amazing photos, but his attitude, well, something just put me off..."
Or:
"He had us laughing the whole time we were doing the formals, and he got some fantastic shots."
Which do you think the bride-to-be would choose?

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 02, 2013 23:53 |  #58

crimsonblack wrote in post #15564940 (external link)
the problem with a referral from a friend of a friend is that they usually expect it to be free like it might have been for the friend. They'll agree over the phone or in person and then flake later when they had to pay. I think it's rediculous when a friend comes up and asks if you can shoot something for them and then how much will you charge me? The give you the opportunity to name your price, but if it's anything except free they are disappointed.

This

I personally prefer to turn down work to anyone I know, even if it's free. For me, it's just created problems. The friend expects it free and you feel slighted, or the friend agrees to pay and he/ she secretly feels slighted.

Either way it's a downward spiral unless to immediate family members, because (at least in my experience) the more you do the more they want... and at some point someone's secretly feeling slighted, only to hold it in and let it "fester" until it comes out and everything's ruined.

I just turn it down from the start.
Sure, it's a loss of business, but it preserves the friendship.
There's plenty of clients out there.

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 02, 2013 23:55 |  #59

D. Vance wrote in post #15566320 (external link)
No, I wouldn't want their pictures, but if I read right, he was saying that guests aren't allowed to shoot if he is shooting. -Edit- maybe I read wrong... It was just the impression that I had gotten. I just re-read it.- ;)

Yes, we do our job, but we shouldn't only do that; try to be a nice guy, be easy to get along with. Sometimes being a nice pro gets you a whole lot farther than being a stuck up pro. I imagine not allowing guests to shoot at all would make people quite unhappy. Picture the bride down the road, talking to a friend who is getting married:
"He had amazing photos, but his attitude, well, something just put me off..."
Or:
"He had us laughing the whole time we were doing the formals, and he got some fantastic shots."
Which do you think the bride-to-be would choose?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. Like I said, I have no problem with guests shooting for themselves, but inviting a guest to second shoot FOR you is where the problem lies.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

TETRAGRAMATON
117 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 03, 2013 07:38 |  #60

Yeh I'm having the same issues on a weekly bases. Everything goes as follow, receiving a phone call with very murky detailed description of the session they want me to do, then I'm receiving an email requesting for my quote and usually what happens after I replay to the email and sending my quote is not hearing back form the potential "clients". For example a lady contacted me last week asking me to photograph a newly opening restaurant/food for their website, she described the session as a whole day to photograph 10 dishes, interior, exterior and the staff (chefs etc.), my quote was £500.. she newer call back. The other example is a studio contacted me asking me to go and film an fashion evening event/party then edited and provide them with 2 minutes ready to go online video, again my quote was £400.. they disappeared, then after two months they come back again asking me for the same job (different event) but this time they ask me if I can do it for les than the initial £400 quote. I told them that I can't really do it for less that £300 and that was they never call.
Sometimes I'm tinkling may be I'm asking too much, but then you think all the money we are spending for equipment, lighting, insurances and we also need to pay bills like the normal people and also tri to make some decent living. Is not our fault that the system works this way, everything comes down to the capital and the way economy works..... any way whatever I say it is quite obvious that the creative industries are in quite mess. Recently I paid £4000 for CGI 3D courses with Escape Studio, I did the courses as I was hopping to get something more permanent and reliable as job, but now after more than 6 months I finished the course there is still no even prospect for getting on paid work. And my case isn't the worse one I meet guys who did two of the course (they literally paid more than £15,000) and more than a year after they finished and completed their show-reels they are out on the street with no even prospect of getting hired any soon. The whole situation is extremely complicated, everything cost fortune equipment, education, software and after all nobody give you a guarantee or support (at least more intelligent clients that will know what it takes) for the people involved in the creative industry. Hope one day all of this to be sorted

London professional Portrait and Headshot photographer (external link)

sponsored links

10,270 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lost a client
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.