Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 03:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Domke f2 or Thinktank Retrospective 30?

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 03, 2013 03:46 |  #1

in your opinion which one is better and will hold up longer?
im going to buy either one of these bags tomorrow so i need to get opinions quick as i need this bag in a few days (cant try them out sadly).

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

sponsored links
nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 03, 2013 05:09 |  #2

Anyone?

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 03, 2013 06:48 |  #3

Well, I have a Domke F2 that's the best part of 30 years old. I've never found the need to replace a Domke camera bag except because I needed to carry a significantly different gear mix (as is true with any bag), so I haven't looked at the TT 30, but capacity-wise I think the Domke F1x is a closer match to that.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 03, 2013 07:13 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #4

is the domke f2 a very sturdy bag? (im guessing it is if you had them for 30 years).
I was thinking of going with the domke because of how it does up, it feels more secure then just velcro (plus if i get sand or crap in the velcro it wont close properly). but the retro does look really nice and everyone raves about them

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 03, 2013 07:18 |  #5

Yes, it's extremely sturdy. Heavy canvas that isn't constrained by "padding" is able to give instead of abrade when it gets pushed against things, so much less prone to wearing through than even lightly-padded cordura bag shells are.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,594 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 03, 2013 08:11 |  #6

nathan549 wrote in post #15566938 (external link)
is the domke f2 a very sturdy bag? (im guessing it is if you had them for 30 years).
I was thinking of going with the domke because of how it does up, it feels more secure then just velcro (plus if i get sand or crap in the velcro it wont close properly). but the retro does look really nice and everyone raves about them

i got my F2 for free in 1985 when i worked at a photo shop. Nikon gave one away with every new F3 (and Nikkor lens?) sold. the owner was a big Nikon guy and of course had to have an F3 (or two) but hated the domke vs tamron's harder (due to padding) sides etc...

he asked if i wanted it. i told him sure....

that domke has dragged my AE-1 and F1n, 5 lenses, a flash, a battery pack (quantum) and about 20 rolls of film at a time from michigan to colorado to michigan to california to washington to hawaii to california to alaska to california to michigan to california to oklahoma to texas to oklahoma to california to oklahoma to florida to oklahoma to mississippi to oklahoma to michigan to oklahoma to michigan to texas to michigan to california to michigan and it STILL is way better shape than one 'lesser' bag after it has gone 50 miles...

this bag has been literally dragged across airport ramps/through fields and woods and cityscapes as well as been bounced off the back seat of my car in an accident with NO ADVERSE wear...

i 'upsized' to the F7x2F something (same design but enlarged) to fit my gripped 7D with 17-55 mounted, 70-200 f2.8 and a pair of 580exII. the F2 just wasnt deep enough. now that im bodyless, i might just get a rebel and go back to my tried and true classic...

you can NOT go wrong with an F2...

and i wasnt even a professional, just an Air Force shooter and enthusiast...

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 03, 2013 08:30 |  #7

i want to fit in a 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 2.8 A flash and light meter as well as one pro body (attached to one of the three said lenses)

will this fit in the f2? or would i need a slightly larger bag?

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 03, 2013 08:32 |  #8

Just to add another you might not be aware of...

I have the Lowepro Pro Messenger 200 AW, and I would take it over the other two. I like the internal configuration a little better, and the shoulder strap is just crazy comfortable.

Here are some good youtube videos of it:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=kmPyixGpwSQ (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=PtXB5cx88fI (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=bem5jYVQiyc (external link)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 03, 2013 09:03 |  #9

Domke F2 is a great bag, I still have mine from the 80's which I use now as a bag to hold all my remote gear (clamps etc.). For my camera gear I have been using Think Tank rollers (Airport Security and Airport Takeoff). I did pick up a Retro 7 for days I just want to carry a body and lens. Like every one else has said the quality of both bags can't be beat.
The main thing that swayed my decision to go with TT products was customer service, I believe TT has the best CS and product support out there. My old Airport Security wheels were worn out and this bag is about 4-5yrs old, I emailed TT about purchase of new wheels, got a reply with 12hrs asking for Ser# got another email stating wheels were on there way this all within 24hrs best of all NO CHARGE. That is service.

Good Luck

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 03, 2013 09:07 |  #10

oh btw anyone have problem with the strap plastic part snap? ive read quite a few horror stories about that with domke products

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 03, 2013 09:10 |  #11

gromeo wrote in post #15567167 (external link)
Domke F2 is a great bag, I still have mine from the 80's which I use now as a bag to hold all my remote gear (clamps etc.). For my camera gear I have been using Think Tank rollers (Airport Security and Airport Takeoff). I did pick up a Retro 7 for days I just want to carry a body and lens. Like every one else has said the quality of both bags can't be beat.
The main thing that swayed my decision to go with TT products was customer service, I believe TT has the best CS and product support out there. My old Airport Security wheels were worn out and this bag is about 4-5yrs old, I emailed TT about purchase of new wheels, got a reply with 12hrs asking for Ser# got another email stating wheels were on there way this all within 24hrs best of all NO CHARGE. That is service.

Good Luck

Oh that is another big tipping point, i think i will probably go with the retrospective i can always get metal clips sewed on like the domke if i feel the velcro is not enough on the retospective.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 03, 2013 09:17 |  #12

nathan549 wrote in post #15567083 (external link)
i want to fit in a 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 2.8 A flash and light meter as well as one pro body (attached to one of the three said lenses)

will this fit in the f2? or would i need a slightly larger bag?

That'll just fit in the F2, if you get the 720-230 3-compartment insert for it; you'll have to use the movable partitions the inserts now include to make 2 compartments sized for your lenses, and to cut down the side padding of the inserts to get it to work if by "pro body" you mean a 1-series or a gripped 5D* or 7D. If it's an ungripped body, you would need to adjust the partitions but wouldn't need to cut down the sides on the insert. The 720-230 runs the full length of the F2; the (standard) 720-240 will take up the full width and 2/3 the length of the bag, so a body with 70-200 wouldn't fit on its side. You will be able to put the flash and light meter in the Domke's end pockets for easy access.

If you're using a gripped body and/or want as much as possible to be in your main compartment, leaving the end and front outside pockets for batteries, filters, notebooks, etc., look at the F1x; it has room for a gripped body/long lens along with the full 720-230 insert. I keep an (ungripped) 7D with 100-400 on its side in the main compartment with a 5D2/24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and Sigma 15-30 in the 720-230 along the back and a 100 2.8L Macro in a 720-280 single-lens insert at one end of the front. The space between the 7D and the end of the 720-230 has several Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rockets with memory cards. The two end pockets each have a 580EX, OC-S2 cable and RRS WPF-QR flash bracket; front pockets have a filter wallet, cleaning gear and other such miscellanea. Batteries (in boxes) live under the 100-400.

Whatever bag you get, pick up Domke's Post Office Pad - it makes any medium-large shoulder bag easier to deal with. I have them on all mine.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 03, 2013 09:35 |  #13

Jon wrote in post #15567206 (external link)
That'll just fit in the F2, if you get the 720-230 3-compartment insert for it; you'll have to use the movable partitions the inserts now include to make 2 compartments sized for your lenses, and to cut down the side padding of the inserts to get it to work if by "pro body" you mean a 1-series or a gripped 5D* or 7D. If it's an ungripped body, you would need to adjust the partitions but wouldn't need to cut down the sides on the insert. The 720-230 runs the full length of the F2; the (standard) 720-240 will take up the full width and 2/3 the length of the bag, so a body with 70-200 wouldn't fit on its side. You will be able to put the flash and light meter in the Domke's end pockets for easy access.

If you're using a gripped body and/or want as much as possible to be in your main compartment, leaving the end and front outside pockets for batteries, filters, notebooks, etc., look at the F1x; it has room for a gripped body/long lens along with the full 720-230 insert. I keep an (ungripped) 7D with 100-400 on its side in the main compartment with a 5D2/24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and Sigma 15-30 in the 720-230 along the back and a 100 2.8L Macro in a 720-280 single-lens insert at one end of the front. The space between the 7D and the end of the 720-230 has several Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rockets with memory cards. The two end pockets each have a 580EX, OC-S2 cable and RRS WPF-QR flash bracket; front pockets have a filter wallet, cleaning gear and other such miscellanea. Batteries (in boxes) live under the 100-400.

Whatever bag you get, pick up Domke's Post Office Pad - it makes any medium-large shoulder bag easier to deal with. I have them on all mine.

Thanks for the very informative post Jon, this is making my decision so much harder. i really like both bags was originally leaning towards the retrospective then properly looking at the domke f2 i was leaning towards that but then i heard all stories about on the strap of the bag the plastic adjusters broke off and there bag came crumbling down. i so would of thought domke would have those in metal.

Thanks for the heads up with the Domke's post office pad will definitely get one of those. they look so comfy

nathan549
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 03, 2013 09:39 |  #14

Jon, have you had any experience with the domke straps breaking/snapping?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 03, 2013 09:47 |  #15

Yes, I have; it's happened to several bags when I went to pick them up, never while just walking around. I user mini-carabiners in place of the plastic straps now. The original F2 had metal rings there, like it appears Think Tank uses.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sponsored links

16,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
Domke f2 or Thinktank Retrospective 30?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.