Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moisture and Lenses

Hunt-man
60 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 03, 2013 10:32 |  #1

So I was watching Art Wolf and saw his camera and high dollar lens covered in moisture, water droplets. He was up in Alaska and it was lightly raining. I know he likely gets his gear for free and repaired at no cost.

So for us mere mortals, how wet can a 7D and a lens get? I'm guessing, not wet.

What fixer should I use on my digital pictures???
Canon 7D, Canon 70-200 2.8 II, Canon 10-22 3.5 USM, Canon 100 Macro, Canon 28-135 Kit. Canon G12. Canon D20.

sponsored links
backblast
319 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 03, 2013 10:46 |  #2

Well, for the body, unless it is a 1D series, try to keep as dry as possible.

As for the lenses, if they are sealed, should handle moisture reasonably.

But as always with anything, exercise good judgement.

1Ds MkIII - 1D MkIII & several lenses with red rings.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,404 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 03, 2013 11:01 |  #3

It can get pretty wet and be ok; but it's so easy to just carry a couple of Rain Sleeves around and toss one on if rail comes up, and then you don't have to worry about it.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,956 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 03, 2013 11:02 |  #4

there is no concrete answer. common sense tells you two things.....

water and electricity do not mix
even the most foolproof system can fail

your risk tolerance is your own. do whatever you want in life.

A9 | A7R3 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90

3Rotor
770 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 03, 2013 11:05 |  #5

Keep in mind, many lenses need a filter to complete its seal.

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 03, 2013 11:15 as a reply to  @ Higgs Boson's post |  #6

I had my 350d and 75-300 out in light rain most of a day at the zoo a few years back - both lens and camera still work.

I have a friend who had his camera and lens fried (D3 and 14-24 Nikon I think) when it had a cupful of water splashed on it/him

It all depends on how well it's sealed, how hard the water is hitting, where it's hitting.

On the 1D bodies the weak points are the battery tray, and the lens mount (especially with older lenses as the rubber lens mount seal gets worn)

I wouldn't hesitate to use my gear in light rain, but it if was going to be out in it all day, I would try and take a rain cover, and use it (basically if I just take my jacket, i leave the cover at home, If I take rain pants too, the aquatech cover comes along too)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

PHughes
363 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2013 12:10 |  #7

I've done the same for years, had my cameras soaked by snow or rain. I do my best to shield them, but I can't shoot if it sits on the shelf. I travel worldwide and take the opportunity to shoot when I have it. I may not get another chance. I was in Antarctica on a ship and figured I would rather shoot than leave the camera inside. That was an older camera though. I believe I was shooting a Nikon then. Don't dunk the camera, but rain won't kill it, just keep it covered as much as possible. My 50D has suffered at my hands for three years and is going strong. Often, in the case of Fall colors, a wet leaves will give you a much better image than dry dust covered ones. I had an old Nikkormat whose meter stopped working while I was shooting covered bridges. I kept shooting, setting the exposure based on the conditions, and once I got back to the truck, I pulled the battery, it was wet. I dried it and all worked well. Of course that is an all manual camera so there are no real electronics to be damaged.

My old 350D was treated the same. It lasted despite being soaked with water and once was soaked by beer while celebrating the upcoming New Year in Montevideo, Uruguay with the locals in the street. It was a big beer fight in the streets. I was soaked from head to toe in beer and so was the camera. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. A friend snapped this image of me being carried through the crowd by the locals. At this point I was still fairly dry. I did at one point put my camera in a friend's bag, but by then the camera was already wet. I had a sticky button once I got back to the ship and since I was in South America for another month or so and had no opportunity to send it for repair, I cleaned it carefully with fresh water and let it dry. To clean the button I splashed water into the button with the camera upside down so the water wouldn't run into it past the button, then let it dry thoroughly with the battery out before using it again. It continued to work well until I got the 50D.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1038.photobuck​et.com …CRide/Travel/IM​G_0867.jpg (external link)

Hunt-man
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 03, 2013 12:12 as a reply to  @ Echo63's post |  #8

Good info, thanks. I spend a lot of time floating / fishing rivers and out in the elements. I will try to keep dry and keep covers handy.

Is there a cover that is made or should i just use a plastic bag?

Great photo and beer story! :)

Canon 7D, Canon 70-200 2.8 II, Canon 10-22 3.5 USM, Canon 100 Macro, Canon 28-135 Kit. Canon G12. Canon D20.

PHughes
363 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2013 12:23 |  #9

Thanks! It was an unforgettable day.

I usually just tuck the camera under a jacket. My brother bought me a cover for Christmas but I haven't yet used it. Here is their link http://cloakbags.com/ (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,404 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 03, 2013 12:37 |  #10

Hunt-man wrote in post #15567744 (external link)

Is there a cover that is made or should i just use a plastic bag?

For occasional use, I think these guys (external link) are the best solution, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

If you're constantly out in the elements there are a few, more heavy duty selections; but I just carry a couple of those Rain Sleeves in my bag and they've been plenty so far.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 03, 2013 13:21 |  #11

A 1 series body with most L lenses, particularly the white ones, are weather sealed. I've shot in pretty steady rain with no covers and never had a problem. I just make sure I wipe things down after and let them dry out well before putting away.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,493 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 03, 2013 17:51 |  #12

Last Friday I had my T2i and 35/2 (no filter) out in the snow for 2 hours, camera was pretty much soaked when I got back, wiped it down with a brush then a rag and it didn't give me a single issue. While I was shooting I used my lens pen brush to wipe snow off of the main dial, VF and front element. Usually as long as you're not in a straight up downpour you will be fine from my experience.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 04, 2013 21:19 |  #13

Go here and watch the video.

Mike

http://www.kentyuphoto​graphy.com …7d-toughest-torture-test/ (external link)

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

Hunt-man
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 09, 2013 18:31 |  #14

OMG! They froze it / filled with water / lit it on fire / dropped it down stairs

... and it still worked? Wow. I'm not going to be so worried about my 7D.

I might worry a bit more about the lens.....

sponsored links

2,081 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moisture and Lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.