Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 03:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problems importing photos from 5D mk III and Lexar 1000x CF on Mountain Lion

PilotBrad
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2013 03:27 |  #1

I just got a new 5D Mark III and I am having problems with it communicating with my iMac running OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2).

I am using brand new Lexar 1000x 32GB cards, and when I connect the camera to my mac it will recognize the photos (in OS X's Image Capture app), but if I try to import them it looks like it is working but it just hangs and after 30-60 seconds I get an "Import Error" message saying the photos couldn't be imported. I have two of these Lexar 1000x cards, and the issue occurs with both cards.

Ironically, the same photos will import to a 6-yr old windows PC (running win7) when the camera is connected to it.

I've also have one of Lexar's older USB 2.0 Dual-Slot Readers, and I cannot read these new 1000x lexar cards in it so I'll be buying a new reader next week. I've used the reader for 3 years with SanDisk cards without issue.

So why is it that I that OS X Mountain Lion is having a problem getting files from my camera (5D3) while Win7 does not? I also have a 7D, and it seems to be able to transfer files from the Lexar 1000x cards just fine (using Image Capture). In fact,I've resorted to using the 7D as a card reader by taking the card our of the 5D3 and putting it into the 7D and importing the photos using Image Capture.

I've tried different cables and different USB ports, but nothing seems to have any effect. I don't think it is the camera as Win7 seems to be able to communicate with it just fine.

Any thoughts?

Brad Oliver (external link)

sponsored links
PilotBrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2013 03:44 |  #2

It looks like I am not alone...
http://www.flickr.com …iscuss/72157631​109798330/ (external link)

PilotBrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2013 04:19 as a reply to  @ PilotBrad's post |  #3

I've just spent the past 30 minutes installing various versions of Canon's EOS Utility and no joy, it still doesn't work. Bummer!

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 03, 2013 10:05 as a reply to  @ PilotBrad's post |  #4

You did not provide details on all the gear you are using, but on the Mac forums elsewhere (not on POTN), there are reports of Lexar cards and card readers having trouble with Apple gear, particularly with the new Macs that have USB3 ports in combination with Lexar 3.0 readers.

Lexar released a firmware update that may help if you are using a Lexar reader. See the first download on the list here.

http://www.lexar.com/d​ownloads (external link)

Hope this helps.

Edit: For the record, I'm using Sandisk Extreme 32 GB UDMA 60MB/sec in my 5D3 and importing with a Lexar card reader, and both RAW and JPGs import into Aperture 3.4.3 on my 27 inch iMac perfectly.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

PilotBrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2013 11:05 as a reply to  @ tgara's post |  #5

I have a 2011 iMac which does not have USB 3.0. The reader I've been using without issue for three years (with SanDisk cards) is the prior generation USB 2.0 pro dual-slot reader for which there is no firmware upgrade. I spent an hour chatting with Lexar support yesterday and while they say their 1000x cards are compatible with the USB 2.0 reader, they recommend a new 3.0 reader. I read somewhere that early "A" revisions of the USB 2.0 reader are not compatible with the 1000x cards, so perhaps that is what I have.

So without a functional reader, I am left to connect the camera directly to the iMac, which as I stated above is not working.

IanE
216 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 03, 2013 11:17 |  #6

Instead of using Image Capture, can't you drag the image folder from the card after it mounts to your desktop?

www.ievenden.com (external link)

PilotBrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2013 11:29 |  #7

Good point... However it doesn't mount, but if I'm not mistaken neither does my 7D. I'll verify in a bit.

PHughes
362 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2013 11:52 |  #8

PilotBrad wrote in post #15567524 (external link)
I have a 2011 iMac which does not have USB 3.0. The reader I've been using without issue for three years (with SanDisk cards) is the prior generation USB 2.0 pro dual-slot reader for which there is no firmware upgrade. I spent an hour chatting with Lexar support yesterday and while they say their 1000x cards are compatible with the USB 2.0 reader they recommend a new 3.0 reader. I read somewhere that early "A" revisions of the USB 2.0 reader are not compatible with the 1000x cards, so perhaps that what I have.

So without a functional reader, I am left to connect the camera directly to the iMac, which as I stated above is not working.

I have a Macbook Pro without USB 3.0 as well, but I use a 3.0 card reader. I also use hard drives with the 3.0 interface. You will get a speed increase despite not having a 3.0 USB slot. Get the 3.0 reader, it will work fine on your computer. The reader I have is from Transcend.

PilotBrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2013 13:45 as a reply to  @ PHughes's post |  #9

OK I verified it and neither camera mounts, but that is the normal behavior. The card reader (when it worked) will mount, but not the cameras.

As I said in my original post, a new card reader is in order and I am sure that will fix that problem, but I still don't understand why the 5D3 won't connect to the mac directly.

demwilliams
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 04, 2013 09:58 |  #10

Hello Brad, Using the new generation Lexar UDMA7 1000X cards you wnat to use the Lexar USB 3.0 reader. The current Lexar USB 3.0 reader is UDMA7 compatible with the lastest MacBook Pro. This should not be a issue. Also you wnat to make sure that your mac has the lastest upgrades also.
Kind Regards
Lexar

PilotBrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 04, 2013 12:48 |  #11

Thanks Dem, however I might suggest that Lexar update it's web site to be more specific. Here is what is has to say about the 1000x cards...

Which Lexar card readers are compatible with my Lexar Professional 1000x CF memory card?
The Lexar Professional USB Dual-Slot Card Readers are compatible with the Lexar Professional 1000x CF cards. To optimize the card’s performance, pair the Lexar Professional 1000x CF card with a Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader, which now supports UDMA 7. A firmware download is essential for 1000x CF card functionality on the older Lexar Professional USB 3.0 dual-slot card reader, and can be downloaded here (external link).

It gives the impression that any of the dual-slot readers are compatiable, not just the USB 3.0 version. This is obviously not the case.

demwilliams wrote in post #15570713 (external link)
Hello Brad, Using the new generation Lexar UDMA7 1000X cards you wnat to use the Lexar USB 3.0 reader. The current Lexar USB 3.0 reader is UDMA7 compatible with the lastest MacBook Pro. This should not be a issue. Also you wnat to make sure that your mac has the lastest upgrades also.
Kind Regards
Lexar

PilotBrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 04, 2013 16:27 |  #12

Just a quick follow up...

I spent 35 minutes on the phone today with the superhero Phil from CPS Tech Support. He was awesome and after 30 minutes of trial and error, we got it working. We made a few minor config changes in Image Capture and switched USB ports (even though I had done that twice already) and it magically started working. Go figure.

A new card reader will be here in a few days, but at least I can now stop using my 7D as a card reader.

BertieB
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 04, 2013 18:17 |  #13

Hi PilotBrad,
I have the same issue you described above - connection problem between a new 5d mk III and OSX 10.8.2 (macbook pro 2011 in my case). I am also using a Lexar 1000x CF card (16 GB), but same also happens using a SanDisk card. When I connect the camera using USB the first file or so transfers ok, but then the connection freezes. Same problem with an import into Aperture. My workaround would be to use a card reader, but I am just used to connecting the camera directly (always did this with the Mk II).

Yours is the first message I have found on the net that gives me hope that this can be solved and I have just registered to the site as a result....!

I would really appreciate any detailed input you can remember of the changes you had to make (in Image Capture, switching USB ports, etc.).

Thanks for any info,

Will

PilotBrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 04, 2013 18:36 as a reply to  @ BertieB's post |  #14

Will,

It's not the Lexar cards as files will transfer fine from them when connecting my 7D, it's just something about Apple Hardware or Software and the 5D3.

Here are a few things we did...

• Verified I was running the latest version of Canon's EOS Utility (2.12.3)
  • Opened the Image Capture app with the Camera connected and powered on and selected "EOS Utilty" in the "Connecting this camera opens:" selection. You will need to click the little arrow in the bottom left corner to see this choice, closed Image Capture.
  • Turned off my Canon Multi-Function printer which was showing as a Shared device in Image Capture
  • Disconnected camera, formatted card, took a few test pics (in RAW)
  • Moved the cable to a different USB port

After doing all of this and perhaps more it mysteriously started working.

Let me know if any of this helps.

BertieB
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 05, 2013 00:49 |  #15

Hi Brad, thanks for the reply. I am travelling at the moment so don't have the opportunity to check if this makes a difference. I will post back in a couple of days on progress. I also need to check the connection to a Windows machine which should prove it is an OSX issue. Just hoping it isn't the camera. Thanks again, Will

sponsored links

6,824 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problems importing photos from 5D mk III and Lexar 1000x CF on Mountain Lion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.