Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 02, 2013 21:49 |  #2446

Sirrith wrote in post #15565559 (external link)
The lens works great on my 5DIII. Very small percentage of faulty copies made to appear more serious than it really is by the loud voices of those who are discontent.

bw!

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

sponsored links
Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 02, 2013 22:42 |  #2447

koala yummies wrote in post #15565717 (external link)
LOL, a bit off topic, but very entertaining if you turn on closed-captioning for that video.

"is a wealth of pasta exit thirty five minutes and everything"

SIgma 35/1.4: King of the Bokeh! :cool:

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 03, 2013 05:56 |  #2448

I'm convinced. My next lens !

x0ny
252 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 03, 2013 06:10 |  #2449

Just rented this from lens rental! Gonna see if this is something for me. Apparently you can get a coupon for 80 off purchase when rented from there so I wont feel like I wasted my money renting! wooohhoo :)

Aspiring Photographer. Flickr (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 03, 2013 07:40 |  #2450

Tested it out last night. So far so good on the 5D. Today is the real test at an event.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jkokbaker
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 03, 2013 10:33 as a reply to  @ post 15565797 |  #2451

How do you test the lens in store? Do you just take shots around the store or take a focus chart?

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

Fuhrtographer
586 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 03, 2013 10:43 |  #2452

x0ny wrote in post #15566851 (external link)
Just rented this from lens rental! Gonna see if this is something for me. Apparently you can get a coupon for 80 off purchase when rented from there so I wont feel like I wasted my money renting! wooohhoo :)

Can you buy the exact copy you rented? I know it would be technically used at that point, but if its super sharp on your particular camera I would be tempted to buy it for new price. Maybe I am off on this but I sure hate testing lenses and trying to decide if it should be sent back.

Fuhrtographer's Flickr (external link)

gskowal
24 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 03, 2013 11:50 |  #2453

After using my lens for a bit over 20 days I just noticed today in my quiet home that the lens squeaks when using the manual focus ring. It's not a loud squeak but it is there and it shows up even more when moving the ring in a fast way or very slowly. I'm not having any issues with focusing but I'm wondering if I should exchange the lens since I'm still within 30 days. Just afraid I'll get a lens where I will get focusing issues. Don't want to go from one issue to another. Anyone else checked their lens for squeaking and experienced the same?

made a little video with my iphone.. am I being paranoid? lol, or none of those squeaks should be there.. at the end I switch to autofocus and you can hear a bit squeaking as well(1:12)...

http://youtu.be/Y5yeAt​-Os9M (external link)

6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
Flickr (external link)

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 03, 2013 13:39 |  #2454

gskowal wrote in post #15567675 (external link)
After using my lens for a bit over 20 days I just noticed today in my quiet home that the lens squeaks when using the manual focus ring. It's not a loud squeak but it is there and it shows up even more when moving the ring in a fast way or very slowly. I'm not having any issues with focusing but I'm wondering if I should exchange the lens since I'm still within 30 days. Just afraid I'll get a lens where I will get focusing issues. Don't want to go from one issue to another. Anyone else checked their lens for squeaking and experienced the same?

made a little video with my iphone.. am I being paranoid? lol, or none of those squeaks should be there.. at the end I switch to autofocus and you can hear a bit squeaking as well(1:12)...

http://youtu.be/Y5yeAt​-Os9M (external link)

If yours is focusing fine and all you have is a squeak then I say keep it. At worst send it directly to sigma for warranty covered repair. I wouldn't get a new one if yours is already good.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

gskowal
24 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 03, 2013 22:36 |  #2455

nccb wrote in post #15568012 (external link)
If yours is focusing fine and all you have is a squeak then I say keep it. At worst send it directly to sigma for warranty covered repair. I wouldn't get a new one if yours is already good.

It focuses fine it's just that it kind of bothers me that a $900 lens starts squeaking after 2-3 weeks of using it and to be honest with you I probably only took about 200 pics so far. I'm considering keeping it just because I want to avoid focusing issues with a new lens but at the same time what if the squeaking will only get worse in the next weeks. I don't want to deal with sending it to Sigma and waiting and all that nonsense. Does this type of faint squeaking usually cause issues in the long run? Or is it inevitable that since it's already squeaking it will only get worse?

6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
Flickr (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 03, 2013 22:48 |  #2456

My first copy had a very faint squeak with the focus ring sometimes.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 03, 2013 23:45 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #2457

Here is another shot wide open of my perfect Sigma lens:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/8444032712_f24e03dd63_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/palenquero/8444​032712/  (external link)
greenflower1-1 (external link) by Palenquero (external link), on Flickr

igora90
923 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 04, 2013 15:38 |  #2458

I took this beauty to a night club last weekend and it performed pretty well! I didn't use it all the time because most of the time I preferred longer FL. Despite the dark place it didn't have any problems with nailing the focus. Always spot on! Of course it had some problems with bad contrast areas but so did my other lenses too. Very happy at the moment!

2x Canon 6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 135 F/2.0
www.iirorautiainen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 04, 2013 16:05 |  #2459

mafoo wrote in post #15565762 (external link)
Yes. Well, she won't personally. But if you call in and order through Manny, you can have it tested for you on either a 5D2 or 5D3. Here is his contact information:

Manny Nunez | mannyn@adorama.com (external link)
Sales Rep. | Adorama Inc.
42 West 18th Street New York, NY 10011
Toll free 800.223.2500 | Local 212.741.0401

Thank you for clarifying!

catchquan
209 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 04, 2013 18:23 |  #2460

Just got mine in the mail, I hit the Sigma lottery. I bought a 35L at the same time and was planning on sending one or the other back (was assuming I'd be sending the Sigma back) but the 35L is going back. Better in every way.

"Look, I'm not an intellectual. I just take pictures"
Canon 5DMKII (Gripped) | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | 85 f/1.2L USM ii
| AB800 (3) | 530EX (2) |

sponsored links

676,683 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.