Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 12 Sep 2011 (Monday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your kayak wildlife

recrisp
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 05, 2013 14:41 as a reply to  @ post 15448312 |  #466

I realize that I always sound like a broken record on this topic, but, if you do go paint, just keep in mind that the Krylon paint is not just paint that adheres, it is a chemical reaction of sorts.
A few years ago I did experiments in my lab, I mean, garage, and I had to wait 2 full weeks before the paint 'cured', that is the key thing, it actually has to "cure", not just dry. It says it on the can too. It scratches even worse then normal paint before it is cured.
Back in the late 70's I 'painted' my pick-up's red interior, it was vinyl, and I used vinyl paint to do it. (I don't think they sell this [probably dangerous] stuff any longer though) Anyway, this stuff seeped into the vinyl, really well, you could not scratch it off if you tried, and I did try.
That is why I am such a proponent of Krylon, it's essentially the same thing, I believe, just made differently, maybe 'greener'. I'd love to be able to buy that stuff I had though, man, that was GOOD stuff!

I would think that there would be no way at all any Krylon type paint could mess with the plastic in any boat, but, if there was ANY problem with your boat, the company would jump on that first, in a hurry. So there goes your claim. Realistically though, what could go wrong with any boat anyway, I seriously doubt that any of our boats would ever need to deal with a warranty. These things are all made to last, they may fade in time, and get scratched, but they would very rarely, if ever, break. :)
It's not my money though, and I don't blame anyone for thinking that something might go wrong.

Also, keep in mind, that any camouflage that is fabric will always find it's way to something that will make it entangle forever. :)
I have some really good camo netting (like BAZ "A.S.I.GN.") used in the link in his other thread, but that is crazy when it comes to entanglement, at least for me. I would imagine that the burlap that some of you use(d) doesn't do as bad though. The hemp looking stuff that is on some of the links looks like it would also be a semi-nightmare to keep out of things way.
Cameras, tripods, your feet, and remember, it's all a pretty tight fit when we are in there.

Nothing that y'all don't already know, I'm just bringing it up again in case someone has not thought of it, or has forgotten. I'll try to shut up now... :rolleyes::confused::D

Here's a link to a LOT of information that you can choose to read, or not, I would prefer the dye, that is probably what I used years ago...
Vinyl Paint or Dye? (external link)

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
3,426 posts
Gallery: 592 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 05, 2013 15:29 |  #467

Cool!

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

ItzSimplymike
637 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 06, 2013 18:00 |  #468

Some amazing shot here!

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
3,426 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 03, 2013 20:21 |  #469

Had a chance to take out the kayak this weekend. The best I can tell this is a Red Shouldered Hawk.

IMAGE: http://www.cscott4.com/Animals/2013-Wildlife/i-Lb46tGq/0/XL/20130202-6761-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.cscott4.com …576268&k=Lb46tG​q&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

KayakPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Feb 03, 2013 22:06 |  #470

Nice shot. I like the "over the shoulder" pose.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

Analog6
565 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 04, 2013 01:43 |  #471

I saw a guy in one of these kayaks on the Tweed River over the weekend. He was using it for fishing but I wondered if it would be suitable for wildlife photography. I have in mind my local wetlands which is very sheltered and calm. It's the area below the A marker in this map (external link) and it is impossible to get out aliong the land spits as they are thick with weeds and burrs, and you make a lot of noise. To be able to quietly drift up in a kayak would be ideal.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Odille
---------------
My Facebook (external link) / Photo Blog (external link) / RedBubble shop (external link) / My Calendars (external link)

nodal
102 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 04, 2013 09:51 |  #472

Analog6 wrote in post #15569876 (external link)
I saw a guy in one of these kayaks on the Tweed River over the weekend. He was using it for fishing but I wondered if it would be suitable for wildlife photography. I have in mind my local wetlands which is very sheltered and calm. It's the area below the A marker in this map (external link) and it is impossible to get out aliong the land spits as they are thick with weeds and burrs, and you make a lot of noise. To be able to quietly drift up in a kayak would be ideal.

That looks like a Hobie Mirage Outback. I'm not really familiar with Hobie's line but they use a push/pull pedal system and flippers rather than the recumbent bicycle style and propeller of the Ultimate w/Propel by Native Watercraft. Watch the water depth. You need probably 18" min. with the Ultimate. With the Ultimate you can pull the prop out of the water if you get into shallow water or to clean weeds off the prop. Don't know about the Hobie. I shoot handheld so hands free propulsion with the pedal drive is way cool when you have the water depth.

http://www.hobiecat.co​m/kayaks/mirage/outbac​k/ (external link)
http://www.nativewater​craft.com/boat.cfm?id=​13 (external link)

Hope this helps.

nodal
1DMIII, 7DMII, 500L, 100-400L, 24-70L, 100L, EFS10-22, 28mm Rokkor XD reversed, nifty fifty, 580EXII, MT-24EX, TVC-24L, TVC-34L

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
3,426 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 04, 2013 17:39 |  #473

KayakPhotos wrote in post #15569421 (external link)
Nice shot. I like the "over the shoulder" pose.

Thank you.

Charles

Ring ­ King
31 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 05, 2013 21:24 as a reply to  @ C Scott IV's post |  #474

Yep, the above picture is indeed a Hobie Mirage Outback. I'm in the process of purchasing one for my son. I'm currently using a Hobie Pro Angler 14 which is the Cadillac of the Hobie pedal kayak line up. It's extremely stable, has as much storage as an SUV, and can support two folks as long as they are of average size. I'm 250lbs and my 9 year old is 105 and we routinely fish together off of it with all of our gear without any issues.

The Mirage drive is very efficient and out performs the Propel in shallow water. I can still maneuver in 8-10 inches of water by fluttering the pedals. Basically this is just pulsing the pedals rather than making complete strokes. If you push the pedals to full lock either forward or backwards the fins that propel you will lie flush against the bottom of the hull to give you the maximum clearance in shallow water. You simply use your paddle or push pole at that point to get around until you get back into an adequate water depth to use the pedals.

The major advantage of the Propel drive is the ability to reverse. Hobie has no reverse other than to use a paddle.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
3,426 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 05, 2013 22:04 |  #475

Coot Chaos

IMAGE: http://www.cscott4.com/Animals/2013-Wildlife/i-CXtLdPk/0/XL/20130202-6554-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.cscott4.com …158238&k=CXtLdP​k&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

Charles

kayak274
183 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 06, 2013 06:17 |  #476

Here are two from a couple different paddles. One from Ohio and one from Fla

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ron
5DMK3, 450D,100-400L,70-200L ISII,24-105, 100 MACRO, 500 f/4 EF IS II, MR-14EX, 600EX-RT
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128889105@N06/

treebound
547 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 06, 2013 16:15 |  #477

(subscribing to thread)
Good images and tips in this one, thanks.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

nodal
102 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2013 16:51 |  #478

Ring King wrote in post #15577354 (external link)
Yep, the above picture is indeed a Hobie Mirage Outback. I'm in the process of purchasing one for my son. I'm currently using a Hobie Pro Angler 14 which is the Cadillac of the Hobie pedal kayak line up. It's extremely stable, has as much storage as an SUV, and can support two folks as long as they are of average size. I'm 250lbs and my 9 year old is 105 and we routinely fish together off of it with all of our gear without any issues.

The Mirage drive is very efficient and out performs the Propel in shallow water. I can still maneuver in 8-10 inches of water by fluttering the pedals. Basically this is just pulsing the pedals rather than making complete strokes. If you push the pedals to full lock either forward or backwards the fins that propel you will lie flush against the bottom of the hull to give you the maximum clearance in shallow water. You simply use your paddle or push pole at that point to get around until you get back into an adequate water depth to use the pedals.

The major advantage of the Propel drive is the ability to reverse. Hobie has no reverse other than to use a paddle.

Ring,

I don't know the mechanism for the flippers in the Mirage but if you're in 8" of water and the flippers (flush with bottom of the boat) get hung up in weeds, fishing line, branches, etc., how do you clear the entanglement. In the Propel you can get to the prop thru the well in the boat.

nodal
1DMIII, 7DMII, 500L, 100-400L, 24-70L, 100L, EFS10-22, 28mm Rokkor XD reversed, nifty fifty, 580EXII, MT-24EX, TVC-24L, TVC-34L

sandwedge
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 157 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2013 03:44 |  #479

C Scott - Love the coots. You captured their personality and behavior. We've got a lot of them here. I hope to one day get a shot of one chasing the other. I also like how, when they dive, they are completely airborne for a split second.

Kayak274 - A great shot of the greenie. One of my favorite birds to watch and photograph. Sometimes when they are focused on fishing, they couldn't care less how close you get. Haven't seen one in a while, but they'll be back soon.

Going to head out in my kayak in a couple of hours. Possible subjects: bald eagles, pelicans, commorants, kingfishers, and hawks.

Ah, who am I kidding, I'll never get close enough to a hawk for a decent picture, but the rest are definite possibilities. Hope to post some good shots later today.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
3,426 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 08, 2013 09:42 |  #480

Thanks Sandwedge. Coots are fun to watch.

Ordered a 100-400 this morning with the tax return.

Charles

sponsored links

325,916 views & 872 likes for this thread
Post your kayak wildlife
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.