Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2013 (Friday) 02:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

aps-c being killed off by canon ?

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 04, 2013 07:54 |  #91

JohnB57 wrote in post #15570235 (external link)
So right now, comparative reach matters. That's all I was saying.

Don't spend too much time trying to kick in open doors.

Sensor cost is not all that needs to be considered. The cost of producing a precision shutter covering two and a half times the area has to be taken into account for example, as does processing power etc.

I don't really think there is any significant cost difference for having a larger shutter. All cheap film bodies had full-size shutters. The big difference is that we now have much better electronics to control their operation. A modern camera measures the actual performance of the shutter so it is auto-calibrating the operation.

A bigger mirror will result in a bit more sound - and will affect the maximum frame rate the camera can manage and still make use of the phase-detect auto-focus between each frame. But Canon can produce 10fps capable mirrors and can decide that 10fps is only for more expensive bodies.

At the end of the day though, I can't actually believe we're debating this as essentially we just have slightly different definitions of the same thing. Time to get back to the theme of the thread I think...

And the theme of the thread is a random view that Canonw ould drop the crop-factor bodies. And there are currently no good economical incentives for such a move.

But the original post I made that seemed to have trigged you, focused on the fact that it isn't the sensor size that gives more reach. So there are no specific reason for selling smaller sensors just to give reach - whatever definition you want to use for "reach".

The magnification of the viewfinder isn't hard-coded to the size of the sensor, as can be seeen by different camera bodies having different magnification/coverage in the viewfinder even if same-size sensor.

And the amount you can crop/magnify the photo is related to sensor pixel size, and the quality of the sensor. Making the sensor twice as large would not reduce the ability of the sensor to get as many pixels on the bird, or get the same quality from each pixel.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 04, 2013 07:58 |  #92
bannedPermanent ban

bent toe wrote in post #15570013 (external link)
Trends always change.. always.

Yep...that is why the current DSLR is dying away. The trend is to iPhones and mirrorless compacts.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 04, 2013 08:00 |  #93
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15570058 (external link)
Every year for the last decade, we end up with a thread like this. So this must be 2013's thread, eh?

Same discussions, with the same outcome each year, Canon continues to make aps-c bodies and efs lenses.

Yep...Kodak kept making film right up until they decided to turn off the lights.

skycolt
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 04, 2013 08:13 |  #94

I really like to see a crop sensor 7DII instead of FF. I can't see why it need to be FF because that's very similar to 5DIII then. If they increase the fps/buffer capacity then it will be like 1DX more. Makes even less sense. I am convinced that either 7DII will never appear or it will still be a crop camera. Maybe the last best crop sensor camera that canon ever made.

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickr (external link)

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 04, 2013 08:24 |  #95

pwm2 wrote in post #15570294 (external link)
Don't spend too much time trying to kick in open doors.

Pathetic. I really did think you were better than that.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,262 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 04, 2013 08:27 |  #96

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15570058 (external link)
Every year for the last decade, we end up with a thread like this. So this must be 2013's thread, eh?

Same discussions, with the same outcome each year, Canon continues to make aps-c bodies and efs lenses.

We have had those debates and some were pretty interesting. The only thing I see different this year is the rise of the mirror-less cameras. I guess this year will be telling. If we see another EF-S lens introduction, that would be a strong indicator Canon is not giving up on the mount. If all the lens introductions are EF or EF-M, then the future remains fuzzy.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 04, 2013 08:27 |  #97

A lot of "know it alls" in this thread... but do any of you really know?
It's all speculations and none of us can say what will happen.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 04, 2013 08:30 |  #98
bannedPermanent ban

bent toe wrote in post #15570410 (external link)
A lot of "know it alls" in this thread... but do any of you really know?
It's all speculations and none of us can say what will happen.

No one knows for sure, but the mirrorless trend, especially in Japan is fact. In 2012, there were more mirrorless lens interchangeable cameras sold in Japan than DSLR.

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 04, 2013 08:50 |  #99

Hogloff wrote in post #15570426 (external link)
No one knows for sure, but the mirrorless trend, especially in Japan is fact. In 2012, there were more mirrorless lens interchangeable cameras sold in Japan than DSLR.

You are probably right, but Japan and asia is always about small things, everything from tamagotchis to tiny cellphones to housing and living to cameras and other tech stuff.

Asia might be leading in technology, but i doubt they will change the market just because something sells well in Asia.

BUT.. what do i know, it's all speculations from my part. :)

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

rusty.jg
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 04, 2013 09:01 |  #100

pwm2 wrote in post #15569978 (external link)
They are definitely more expensive. But that price gap will soon start to decrease as the sensor technology gets more and more mature.

Will full-frame sensors ever become as economical to produce as crops (or even bridge the gap slightly)?:

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=10708247&p​ostcount=4

I know the post is a little old but the points seem to be valid.

to be OR NOT to be = 1 (which is "to be" so that one's cleared up at last ;-)a)
www.VividCornwall.co.u​k (external link) (external link)
Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 04, 2013 09:02 |  #101

JohnB57 wrote in post #15570392 (external link)
Pathetic. I really did think you were better than that.

Now that was a "strong" response.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 04, 2013 09:24 |  #102

rusty.jg wrote in post #15570526 (external link)
Will full-frame sensors ever become as economical to produce as crops (or even bridge the gap slightly)?:

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=10708247&p​ostcount=4

I know the post is a little old but the points seem to be valid.

I've been hinting to the possibility for quite some time, but the majority, at the time, seemed to think that FF costs a lot more, and will continue to cost more. However, bits and pieces I've read here and there suggest differently.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 04, 2013 11:02 |  #103

davidc502 wrote in post #15570617 (external link)
I've been hinting to the possibility for quite some time, but the majority, at the time, seemed to think that FF costs a lot more, and will continue to cost more. However, bits and pieces I've read here and there suggest differently.

Did you read the link to Daniel's post? Because it explains why FF sensors will always cost more.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

whu-1
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 04, 2013 11:19 |  #104

From a personal view point probably would not buy a ff in its current format......like many .............:rolleyes:

I've never understood why it cost less to put more or the same "mp's" in to a smaller space on a senor than a bigger sensor ...............

every one quoting this cost more than that etc etc etc ............

how do you know ?...............is the a production cost list out there some were ?

show me so figures for sensor A cost more than B ? :p

id wager the cost is nothing like what you think to produce sensors , every company's job is extract as much cash from you're wallet a possible while still selling product , has little to do with production cost .:cool:

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 04, 2013 11:25 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #105

When the 6D was announced and 5D2 prices started falling, I made the decision I was going to stop buying EF-s lenses and start transfering to EF lenses.

I was going to sell my Sigma 30/1.4 for either the Sigma 35 or Canon 35IS, but the market fell out with the new art lens announcement so I'll probably keep that for the wife and kids on a Rebel.

I just bought the 50/1.4 so the hole from the 50/1.8 that I was filling with the 60/2.8 is now gone. So i'll prbably sell the 60 next and upgrade to the 100L.

Having said that, I don't think this interview means anything and people are reading too much into it. One other thing to consider is that the specs on the 650D are so close to the 60D now. Canon could introduce a 70D that got back to the xxD roots with specs good enough to be considered a 7D replacement. At that point, it is hard for me to visualize where a 7d2 would fit into the line up full frame or crop.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

sponsored links

21,520 views & 0 likes for this thread
aps-c being killed off by canon ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.