Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FoCal Calibration Software... A+ in my book

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 04, 2013 10:50 |  #16

its a great software, which unfotunately remains a pain to work with 5d3.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,072 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 04, 2013 11:25 |  #17

woodzy wrote in post #15570799 (external link)
Can I asked how you printed the chart? I really wish for a small fee, they would send you a really good quality chart?

Also - what did you use for lighting?

laser printer... it prints fine as hell. no way can your camera lens outresolve the pattern from the distance you shoot.

as for lighting, ambient near a window.

I'm sure a spot light would work too if ambient not an option. Just make sure the lighting is stable.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

catchquan
209 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 04, 2013 12:55 |  #18

Charlie wrote in post #15570960 (external link)
laser printer... it prints fine as hell. no way can your camera lens outresolve the pattern from the distance you shoot.

as for lighting, ambient near a window.

I'm sure a spot light would work too if ambient not an option. Just make sure the lighting is stable.

And not LED. They mention something about the flickering throwing off results.

"Look, I'm not an intellectual. I just take pictures"
Canon 5DMKII (Gripped) | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | 85 f/1.2L USM ii
| AB800 (3) | 530EX (2) |

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 04, 2013 14:03 |  #19

Lichter21c wrote in post #15570535 (external link)
I have the pro. I just wish I didn't have to pay 90 dollars to use it for 2 days now it sits. That's all. I feel I need to buy more lenses just to get the most out of my software

I see what you mean, but I just thought about it. How many folks out there would pay Canon $110 to expertly calibrate every lens they own and all future lens purchases? If Canon offered that right now, thousands and thousands of photographers would be standing in line. That's exactly what this software does.

Bryan

My Gear List

Lichter21c
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 04, 2013 14:26 |  #20

bps wrote in post #15571571 (external link)
I see what you mean, but I just thought about it. How many folks out there would pay Canon $110 to expertly calibrate every lens they own and all future lens purchases? If Canon offered that right now, thousands and thousands of photographers would be standing in line. That's exactly what this software does.

Bryan

no I get it. really and it really DOES make a difference. its money well spent and I would do it again in a heart beat. its just unfourtante that now it just isnt used

murkeywaters
229 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 04, 2013 15:04 |  #21

Lichter21c wrote in post #15571648 (external link)
no I get it. really and it really DOES make a difference. its money well spent and I would do it again in a heart beat. its just unfourtante that now it just isnt used

I only got this software recently and so far it looks amazing.

Thing is lenses and cameras do drift out of tolerance with use and mine gets a lot of use so I don't see it as a one off, every 3/4 months I can spend a hour to give me piece of mind my kit is operating to its best ability.

The camera is just a storage box, it's the gLass in front that makes the image...

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 04, 2013 15:15 |  #22

I just purchased the Plus version..Going to see how well it does

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

shine1
278 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 04, 2013 15:22 |  #23

I also just bought it a few weeks ago. While I was reading about, I learned that there is a discount page. If anybody is planning to buy, check out this link if you don't know already:

http://www.reikan.co.u​k/focal/mbp45/ (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 04, 2013 15:45 |  #24

I get very mixed results with this program. The only accurate way to use it is outdoors in natural light. Otherwise you get indoor biased MA values.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 04, 2013 18:15 |  #25

I experienced that on my 5D3 with the manual method as well.

Although I seldom shot under tungsten lighting even before it was banned here, it just so happened that when I set to adjust the 85/1.8, a 100W tungsten lamp was the most handy. Big disappointment when I shot in daylight (overcast) the following day! If I remember well, tungsten shifted the adjustment by +6 points compared to what I later got by the same method in daylight.

I hope I won't find out that my beloved 5D3 requires a specific AFMA setting for every 1000K step of daylight color temperature.

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 04, 2013 18:53 |  #26

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this SW is a waste of money. I spent my $$ and used it to MA several lenses on my 7D. A couple of them were reported as being not reliable enough to compute a solution. I know these lenses and they have NOT been an issue. The SW just could not figure it out. Others came up with an MA adjustment that was pretty much were I had set it with the tried & true manual methods.

Installing the SW on my laptop was a minor pain. Shooting tethered was a pain. Results were sketchy at best. Lots of work for very little results. Oh, and it did LOTS of shutter actuations.

Maybe I need to try again with better printed target. Maybe I need to do it using daylight (not a halogen work light). Maybe I need to try it again on summer solstice while I face east. At this point, I'd need to re-register the SW since I've changed bodies.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 04, 2013 19:09 |  #27

n1as wrote in post #15572657 (external link)
I guess I'm the only one who thinks this SW is a waste of money. I spent my $$ and used it to MA several lenses on my 7D. A couple of them were reported as being not reliable enough to compute a solution. I know these lenses and they have NOT been an issue. The SW just could not figure it out. Others came up with an MA adjustment that was pretty much were I had set it with the tried & true manual methods.

Installing the SW on my laptop was a minor pain. Shooting tethered was a pain. Results were sketchy at best. Lots of work for very little results. Oh, and it did LOTS of shutter actuations.

Maybe I need to try again with better printed target. Maybe I need to do it using daylight (not a halogen work light). Maybe I need to try it again on summer solstice while I face east. At this point, I'd need to re-register the SW since I've changed bodies.

The only time the software was unable to come up with a definitive and repeatable MA value was with 2 lens that Canon eventually deemed to have malfunctioning AF systems. Got those two lens back from Canon and the software worked its magic flawlessly and determined an optimal MA.

FWIW, I've actually been using two 500watt halogen work lamps with accurate results carrying over into overcast, daylight, and fluorescent lighting. I'm not sure if the type of light source makes as much difference as having an adequate +EV. Can't remember where I saw it, but there is a recommended minimum EV. I don't really see how the type of light could cause a consistent (+) or (-) biased for MA values...would be interested in discussing the theory/logic behind that.

Other things that I've tinkered with it increasing the mirror lock-up delay to 3 seconds to further avoid any camera shake...especially useful at 200-400mm. For the target, I printed on card stock paper, inkjet printer only, then pasted it to a sturdy piece of cardboard, and place the lights as close to the target as possible.

The one downside I've found is that there apparently is something about the 5D3 firmware that will never be compatible with "full-auto" adjustment, according to the developer. Still, I'm able to adjust a zoom lens for the wide end and telephoto end in less than 10 minutes from setup to finish.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 04, 2013 19:25 as a reply to  @ mannetti21's post |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

I too use the Pro version on Windows 8 for my 6D with no issues other than slight inconsistencies (2-3 points) when re-profiling the same lens under identical circumstances.

Dave

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 05, 2013 00:05 |  #29

shine1 wrote in post #15571828 (external link)
I also just bought it a few weeks ago. While I was reading about, I learned that there is a discount page. If anybody is planning to buy, check out this link if you don't know already:

http://www.reikan.co.u​k/focal/mbp45/ (external link)

Thank you!! I just purchased the software through the link you provided and saved over $40. That's a significant discount!

All of my computers are Mac, but if I have any trouble with the Mac beta version, then I'll just borrow a friend's PC to calibrate all of my lenses.

Again, much appreciated!
Bryan

My Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 05, 2013 05:44 |  #30

Lichter21c wrote in post #15570535 (external link)
I have the pro. I just wish I didn't have to pay 90 dollars to use it for 2 days now it sits. That's all. I feel I need to buy more lenses just to get the most out of my software

No, don't do that. Get a new camera - then you get to retest all of your lenses again!

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

43,553 views & 1 like for this thread
FoCal Calibration Software... A+ in my book
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.