Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 12:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Traveling to Mexico

lgndracer
42 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 02, 2013 12:53 |  #1

Not sure where to post this, so I'll start here.

Our company ran a dealer incentive trip contest this last year and we are taking those who qualified to Cabo this next week. Since I'm the only "camera guy" in the office I am being asked to bring some of my gear in order to take photos for our marketing team. Plus I''d like to get a some shots of stuff I like.

My concern is about leaving my gear in my hotel room when we are out of the room and not taking it with. We are staying at the RIU Palace and I have read reviews that talk about room theft when people are out.

I am taking a ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro and my tripod. My thought is to put that into our large suitcase and then put a small lock on the suitcase zipper when we are out. I know someone could just take the whole suitcase, but am thinking this may minimize a snatch and grab.

Anyone else have ideas or done something different?

Mike

sponsored links
Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 02, 2013 13:30 |  #2

Most rooms have small safes, and you should put your passport, entry ticket, body, and any
expensive lenses that fit, into the safe. Then you can try doing what your are thinking as the
tripod is never going to fit. Also, if this is your personal gear, get it insured with an all perils
insurance rider on your home insurance. Then if something goes missing you are covered for
replacement with no deductable, and the cost per year is fairly cheap.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

lgndracer
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 02, 2013 15:01 |  #3

The safes are what I was reading are getting broken into. They are keyed not a programmable keypad. Not sure if someone has a master they are getting into them with or if they search the room and find the key most people just hide in the room.

Gear is already fully insured, and my agent is a friend of mine who has Leica gear so he is aware of what I have so not too worried about coverage or adjusters. Also, the serial numbers are all registered with CPS.

The tripod will fit in the main luggage too, it's an RRS TVC-33 with a BH55 and leveling base, but with my wife we have to XXXL sized luggage for all the clothes, make up, and hair tools. ;)

ABTsolut
53 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 04, 2013 17:00 as a reply to  @ lgndracer's post |  #4

Try talking with the reception manager to have your stuff kept in a safe storage room. Be VERY specific about the value of your equipment and how would you like them to have it safely stored.

I did this in Rome on a recent trip around Europe, the manager was really helpful and comprehensive about it. Who knows, maybe he was a photog enthusiast too! :)

EOS 6D * 17-40 F/4L * 70-200 F/4L * 50mm F/1.8II * Vintage Mirage 70-210 Macro

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 05, 2013 17:02 |  #5

ABTsolut wrote in post #15572225 (external link)
Try talking with the reception manager to have your stuff kept in a safe storage room. Be VERY specific about the value of your equipment and how would you like them to have it safely stored.

I did this in Rome on a recent trip around Europe, the manager was really helpful and comprehensive about it. Who knows, maybe he was a photog enthusiast too! :)

DITTO. I used to carry my stuff with me everywhere, until I was robbed while eating at a restaurant. Now, I talk to the manager, he puts the box in a large safe they have, he gives me a receipt with every detail (I have prepared here), including serial number, and price, and $20 tip the first time. When I leave, he gets another $20 tip.
When I go with family for vacation, I carry my Panasonic, Lumix LX-5 only.

PS: Whatever you do, DO NOT BRING a gun to Mexico, you will stay in jail for a long long time.

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2013 18:02 |  #6

When I went I used my Thinktank Streetwalker Harddrive. I used locks on the zippers and used a bike cable lock to lock the entire bag under the bed. Someone could get around it, but at least it would be harder than simply grabbing a lens.

lsegovia
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 08, 2013 20:09 |  #7

Hi, or rather Hola,

I'm Mexican so I think I know what I'm talking about.
Unfortunately cameras and lenses are nice shiny things that attract thieves even if they really have no use for them (there isn't much of a market) and hotels are knowns places where unsuspecting tourists are not too careful. I would recommend that you take really the minimum you need and that you ask the reception manager for its safe keeping as suggested by ABTsolut, that's what I always do. They really are careful with your stuff. Although Cabo is safe, you are on a trip and you don't want to babysit your equipment all the time when at the beach or on a boat (need I say when out to town) instead of having fun. This should not stop you from taking some of your gear and enjoying it, though. Los Cabos is a fantastic place. Sunsets are amazing.
I am really sorry that I had to write this but my country has become quite unsafe. When you know your way around it's perfectly fine and a great place to photograph but there are places where you don't want to be caught under any circumstances even in daylight. The government keeps the main tourist destinations safe but if you like to go off the beaten path you're on your own.

Lorenzo

sponsored links

1,002 views & 0 likes for this thread
Traveling to Mexico
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.