Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 03 Feb 2013 (Sunday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3rd video attempt

socalguy-30
135 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 03, 2013 09:36 |  #1

Morning everyone...

I just finished my third video and am getting ready to go live on our website.
I was looking for for some feedback, good or bad, as we have another video
That will have a similar build, and would like to continue to improve.
Also, any idea on what this size/style video might be worth?
If I was charging for the effort... What might that be worth?
the reason I ask about worth...
is we have another large project coming up soon, and will be looking at
a large vendor of the project to sponser the video, allowing them to share the rights to the video,
so they can use it as well.

I have no idea of the actual value, or what a production might sell for if we outsourced it...
due to the size of this upcoming project I may need to hire some extra help for certain days...

i new video will be about double the work of this example...
I was thinking the future video cost would be around $15-20K?
how far does that sound off?

how much might I ask for sponsorship? Or full future rights?
any insight would be helpful...

You can find the video here....

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=LqlXS8o1AjQ&s​ns=em (external link)

Canon 7D + 10-22mm + 18-135mm + 50mm 1.4f + 24mm tilt shift

sponsored links
RedSloth
412 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 03, 2013 09:48 |  #2

Hi
Really liked the video. Good length. Most cinematography was pretty good (from my amature perspective). Good music.
No idea on charging price. Really it comes down to 'will the video make your client money'?

Cheers
RedSloth
A Magic Lantern fan running 5D Mark III, 60D, 85L II, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L II, 100-400L II, 10-22, 17-55 and a couple of speed lights. If only my ability could match my gear!

BrandonPerkins
308 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 03, 2013 10:42 |  #3

i dont like your choice for music on the second song, but i like the video

Click for PortfoliO (external link)

socalguy-30
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 03, 2013 12:55 |  #4

BrandonPerkins wrote in post #15567455 (external link)
i dont like your choice for music on the second song, but i like the video

Thanks for the input.
I had the same feelings about the second song.
I was told I had to use some Greek music for some portion...

After listening to about 300 Greek royalty free songs... This was the best I could find...

davtackett
951 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 03, 2013 15:34 |  #5

I think the 2nd song was fitting, but the video seemed lengthy and could be cut back some.

7d, 7dII, 100-400 canon L, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 03, 2013 18:35 |  #6

Really good overall, I watched and enjoyed it all the way through but with some Niel Young playing instead. I understand you need to pick your music carefully and what you have is suitable for an industry video.

A couple of things that would have made the video a little better/professional would be to always use a tripod. At 1:15 there are some obvious and held shakes and refocus errors.

We need to understand that this is a one take video: at 4:22 where the truck is rolling down the road the vantage could have been better chosen from the POV of the 711 sign being a prominent feature and the trees being an obstruction.

At 6:03 I'd recommend cutting at that point or freezing the sign from there, having it fade to a sign that bounces around just is not right as you can appreciate.

It's a great video and demonstrates the production and installation very well. You have done an excellent job.

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

BrandonPerkins
308 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 03, 2013 18:57 |  #7

socalguy-30 wrote in post #15567872 (external link)
Thanks for the input.
I had the same feelings about the second song.
I was told I had to use some Greek music for some portion...

After listening to about 300 Greek royalty free songs... This was the best I could find...

Haha! I understand completely

Click for PortfoliO (external link)

socalguy-30
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 03, 2013 19:27 |  #8

wayne_eddy wrote in post #15568918 (external link)
Really good overall, I watched and enjoyed it all the way through but with some Niel Young playing instead. I understand you need to pick your music carefully and what you have is suitable for an industry video.

A couple of things that would have made the video a little better/professional would be to always use a tripod. At 1:15 there are some obvious and held shakes and refocus errors.

We need to understand that this is a one take video: at 4:22 where the truck is rolling down the road the vantage could have been better chosen from the POV of the 711 sign being a prominent feature and the trees being an obstruction.

At 6:03 I'd recommend cutting at that point or freezing the sign from there, having it fade to a sign that bounces around just is not right as you can appreciate.

It's a great video and demonstrates the production and installation very well. You have done an excellent job.

Thanks for the input Wayne...
All of your input is useful, and highlight one of my largest challenges...
That the several shots are on the fly... And unplanned...
My goal was to minimize that fact.

Moving forward, I will do some more planning...
And try to minimize the blend of clean shots, and run and gun shots....

socalguy-30
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 04, 2013 17:32 |  #9

davtackett wrote in post #15568419 (external link)
I think the 2nd song was fitting, but the video seemed lengthy and could be cut back some.

It was even hard to keep it under 7min but I understand the concept.

rogue.guineapig
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2013 18:56 |  #10

I liked it!

The cinematography is really nice...loving the jib/quasi jib shots, and the slow mo...
60 fps down to 24 fps?
Color looks good and your shots are well thought out.

I would tend to agree that it's long...I've been struggling with the same thing in my vids.
I find that (for me) it's better to make shots shorter rather than decide which shot to cut between "Good Shot A" and "Good Shot B".
For example, your intro shot went from 0:15 to 0:35...I would cut that down a bit. I mean, that is, only if you are looking to shorten it! :)

Looks great though! What kind of jib/steadicam are you using? Are you using MagicLantern?

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 04, 2013 19:59 |  #11

Just way too long, you could shorten it up by speeding things up a bit like you did in the intro, which also needs to be a lot shorter...

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 04, 2013 22:02 as a reply to  @ tmoore323's post |  #12

I make safety, training, product assembly and usage videos for several mid to large companies. Some of the usage videos inevitably are used for marketing. They all need to get points across to the audience quickly while keeping them engaged so the pace of my videos are much faster than yours and use interviews and VO with titles. I don't see how your video would fit into the world I know. None of my clients are interested in slow fades to the music style you have. If I needed to show a sign being made and assembled I'd edit what you have to about 1:30 and add a VO. All my videos have a function - they deliver a message - usually several in as short a time as possible.

Please don't take this as criticism of your work - I may be missing a market segment, but I don't see what your intended segment is.

Richard
Gear

socalguy-30
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 07, 2013 07:08 |  #13

rogue.guineapig wrote in post #15572664 (external link)
I liked it!

The cinematography is really nice...loving the jib/quasi jib shots, and the slow mo...
60 fps down to 24 fps?
Color looks good and your shots are well thought out.

I would tend to agree that it's long...I've been struggling with the same thing in my vids.
I find that (for me) it's better to make shots shorter rather than decide which shot to cut between "Good Shot A" and "Good Shot B".
For example, your intro shot went from 0:15 to 0:35...I would cut that down a bit. I mean, that is, only if you are looking to shorten it! :)

Looks great though! What kind of jib/steadicam are you using? Are you using MagicLantern?

Thanks for the input rogue.

To answer the first question... I shot everything at1080 at 24fps on my 7d or 5d2.
I use pinnacle, so I have to use their speed up feature to get the time lapse shots...
Which I believe is also the culprit in the lower IQ in those areas.

The motion shots were done with my cobra crane jib.
A slider is coming next though... And I have never heard of magic lantern brand?

Good feedback on the length as well...
I have a lot to improve on for sure...

socalguy-30
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 10, 2013 19:26 |  #14

tmoore323 wrote in post #15572883 (external link)
Just way too long, you could shorten it up by speeding things up a bit like you did in the intro, which also needs to be a lot shorter...

After watching it several more times I agree.

socalguy-30
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 12, 2013 07:00 |  #15

Is it safe to say, a small project like this should have been around 5min...
I know I could have shortened the credits as well....

sponsored links

1,974 views & 0 likes for this thread
3rd video attempt
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.