Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 00:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Proposal Advice

Skinnifatkid
175 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 05, 2013 00:57 |  #1

I posted this in "General Photography talk" but the thread was quite old, last post April last year.

My situation. My daughter is in gymnastics and is doing fairly well in her training for her age group/level.

I want to get photos of her and also help the club out at the same time.

I've spoken with the head coach at the club about taking pictures of the kids at competitions and events around the city. I also offered my amateur/hobbiest services with two goals in mind; 1. experience for my self 2. pictures for the club.

I was clear and very to the point about wanting to help, but...but, I am not a pro.

She asked me to come up with a proposal about what I am offering.

I am asking the experienced (you) what should be included as far as a pitch to the board. Like I said, I am looking to help the club out by offering photos for the website and also for the wall where the kids can see themselves. I would include a watermark, but only to identify that I took them and to promote myself if the images are worthy.

Is there anything I should keep in mind when drafting a proposal? Anything I should stipulate or offer also...images to the parents with a kickback to the club?

My daughter is doing really well in her training and I really hope she gets to compete eventually. I mainly want pictures of her, but want to offer the club something as well.

Too vague...?

Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,978 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 05, 2013 01:23 |  #2

I'd be careful of taking photos of other peoples kids, unless you have explicit permission from the parents. Your proposal could be "I'll take photos and give them to the club", or "i'll take photos, sell them for reasonable fees, and give all profit after expenses to the club".

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,860 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 05, 2013 01:36 |  #3

It's great that they're interested in using your work, and that they did not just assume that the image use would be free. It's always nice when someone "gets it".

I wouldn't make an issue about having your watermark on there. Contrary to popular belief, watermarks really don't get you any business, and having them on there kind of makes you look "unprofessional".

Tim brings up a good point. They really won't be able to use the images for any promotional purposes unless they have a signed model release for everyone pictured. But it is not your responsibility to explain this to them. Simply have some fine print in your proposal that says that all acquisition of releases - whether they be property or model releases, for adults or minors, people or intellectual property - are the sole responsibility of the club.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Skinnifatkid
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 05, 2013 12:19 |  #4

tim wrote in post #15573834 (external link)
I'd be careful of taking photos of other peoples kids, unless you have explicit permission from the parents. Your proposal could be "I'll take photos and give them to the club", or "i'll take photos, sell them for reasonable fees, and give all profit after expenses to the club".

Thanks Tim, I had thought of those issues, appreciate the reminder, the permission thing and the costs are along the lines also of what I was thinking.

Tim brings up a good point. They really won't be able to use the images for any promotional purposes unless they have a signed model release for everyone pictured. But it is not your responsibility to explain this to them. Simply have some fine print in your proposal that says that all acquisition of releases - whether they be property or model releases, for adults or minors, people or intellectual property - are the sole responsibility of the club.

Tom, thank you! I was looking for something like this for advice. That would definitely alleviate some running around for me. I enjoy photography and the satisfation of capturing "That Moment" regardless of what the genre is for subject. The coaches are great and it shows with the kids and the smiles as they are doing their thing. This weekend for Valentines day, the kids were asked to wear white, pink or red for their classes. I'm looking forward to capturing them as they go through their class.

PhotosGuy
75,863 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 06, 2013 09:24 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15573858 (external link)
I wouldn't make an issue about having your watermark on there. Contrary to popular belief, watermarks really don't get you any business, and having them on there kind of makes you look "unprofessional". .

I would disagree with that. No branding makes you look "unprofessional", IMO.
A big "PROOF © 2013 "Skinnifatkid" across the image won't stop some of them from posting the image on FB, but having it there might entice some parents to buy the print or digital file with it removed.
And if someone sees it on FB or elsewhere & needs a photographer, having your contact info in the EXIF might help them to find you.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Skinnifatkid
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2013 12:03 |  #6

PhotosGuy wrote in post #15578824 (external link)
I would disagree with that. No branding makes you look "unprofessional", IMO.
A big "PROOF © 2013 "Skinnifatkid" across the image won't stop some of them from posting the image on FB, but having it there might entice some parents to buy the print or digital file with it removed.
And if someone sees it on FB or elsewhere & needs a photographer, having your contact info in the EXIF might help them to find you.

I understand both points of view. Which one I agree with more...still on the fence. It will depend on my proposal and how I can word it so that I can get something and provide something also.

I'll keep it in mind.

sponsored links

1,076 views & 0 likes for this thread
Proposal Advice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.