Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

RobDickinson
Goldmember
3,994 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 05, 2013 00:02 |  #4771

It takes pictures. Not so different to an old camera really.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links
S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2013 00:49 |  #4772

weka2000 wrote in post #15508878 (external link)
Mark V and me did a spontaneous trip to Whatipu. Odd night in that the sky seemed to be filled with smoke, could have been from aussy fires.
Place hasn't changed much in 2 years. very dry. Got out to cutters rock which is meant to be a no no :)

Anyway couple of pics

love both of these :) do you print any?

tim
Light Bringer
50,929 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 05, 2013 01:19 as a reply to  @ S-S's post |  #4773

weka2000 wrote in post #15573594 (external link)
Im so far behind the latest and greatest camera now wouldn't know what the 5d3 can and cant do.

Like Rob said it takes photos. What's new (for Canon) is it can focus really well, and low light performance is a little better than the 5D2.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 05, 2013 02:12 |  #4774

tim wrote in post #15573828 (external link)
Like Rob said it takes photos. What's new (for Canon) is it can focus really well, and low light performance is a little better than the 5D2.

And it's built properly (or feels and sounds it) unlike the cheap nasty 5D2.

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

RobDickinson
Goldmember
3,994 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 05, 2013 02:17 |  #4775

+1!

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 05, 2013 02:56 |  #4776

weka2000 wrote in post #15573594 (external link)
Im so far behind the latest and greatest camera now wouldn't know what the 5d3 can and cant do.

One of the best features is the ability to repurpose the dof preview button as a AI servo mode while it's held down. Means I can take photos of still subjects, and then when I need to track something quickly (like the b+g's little boy/girl doing a spontaneous dance) I don't have to try to adjust ****, I just hold the dof button down and fire away knowing it's going to be in focus.

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,695 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 05, 2013 16:14 |  #4777

S-S wrote in post #15573758 (external link)
love both of these :) do you print any?

No. They just sit on a HDD.

Got everything I need in my camera ....... Don't do enough to spend any money on it. May upgrade in another 5 years when it hits 100,000 clicks.
Only on 60,000 at moment.

Far cry from 5 years ago.

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
3,994 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 05, 2013 16:31 |  #4778

momentz wrote in post #15573976 (external link)
One of the best features is the ability to repurpose the dof preview button as a AI servo mode while it's held down. Means I can take photos of still subjects, and then when I need to track something quickly (like the b+g's little boy/girl doing a spontaneous dance) I don't have to try to adjust ****, I just hold the dof button down and fire away knowing it's going to be in focus.

I just use bbf and ai servo all the time anyhow.

momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 06, 2013 03:16 |  #4779

RobDickinson wrote in post #15576342 (external link)
I just use bbf and ai servo all the time anyhow.

Ergh, I am a sucker for needing the focus confirmation whenever possible. I use BBF too, but one thing I don't like is that if you misfocus with the initial press, then rattle off 4-5 frames, they'll all be out of focus. I guess not so much an issue with ai.

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

lil_miss
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 06, 2013 23:14 |  #4780

tim wrote in post #15573828 (external link)
and low light performance is a little better than the 5D2.

a little better..? a LOT better! :)

A bunch of Canon bits and pieces.

Blog (external link) :: Facebook (external link)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,764 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 07, 2013 00:30 |  #4781

The MK3 is a considerably more sophisticated camera, better in every way, especially ISO and AF performance.
They took the AF directly from the 1DX.

The MK2 is a very simple camera, even when it was new it was considered pretty basic. Even with the video mode it has less menu options and custom functions than my new ancient 30D.

The MK2 does have a better shutter sound, it's a lot more mechanical.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 07, 2013 02:17 |  #4782

MkII has a HORRID shutter sound, sounds like the things about to run out of the porridge that holds it place every time it fires...

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,764 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 07, 2013 02:48 |  #4783

You poor man, it sounds to me like a proper English gear box, something out of a Triumph or Austin Healey.
Lots of mechanical noises, vibrations and a small essence of hope it will keep working, all the while delivering a feeling of something designed and made by men.

The MK3 just sounds like my cat farting.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,590 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 07, 2013 02:50 |  #4784

I fondly remember my AE-1 with winder "A" fitted.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 08, 2013 04:09 |  #4785

Moppie wrote in post #15581978 (external link)
You poor man, it sounds to me like a proper English gear box, something out of a Triumph or Austin Healey.
Lots of mechanical noises, vibrations and a small essence of hope it will keep working, all the while delivering a feeling of something designed and made by men.

The MK3 just sounds like my cat farting.

Moderator in being wrong shocker! :p

Cheers, Dave.

sponsored links

856,054 views & 662 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.